PDA

View Full Version : Wavey Brake Disks

Genisis
05-02-07, 03:35 PM
Hey all,
The time has come for me to replace the front disks on my GPX and while looking around for good prices i have come across some Stealth Disks for 59.99 each (better than £124 for a stock disk)
Question is i can have them Round or Wavey just wondering apart from looking really nice what are the pro's and con's of using Wavey disks.
Thanks
Matthew

Gav
05-02-07, 05:51 PM
PROS...
Due to the vut outs on the outer surface making them wavey they look cool...
On a serious note, the wavey bit does 2 things...
1. As they rotate the "wavey" edge scraps the crap off the pad so you have good clean brakin material.
2. Because of the wavey shape they disserpate heat better....there is a larger outter surface diametre than a standard disc.

Dave
05-02-07, 09:55 PM
IMPORTANT - DO NOT BUY STEALTH PERFORMANCE WAVEY DISKS!!!!

I TRIED to buy a set of three from them some time ago for £275 - they told me it would take 2 weeks to produce my disks. After, IIRC, 4 weeks I received a pair of fronts only, in the finish I didn't ask for, with the wrong colour buttons. I fitted them only to find that they juddered like buggery - they were for a DIFFERENT bike; the offset was wrong. They took them back and then 2 weeks later sent me only a rear disk, which I did not fit. Some 2-4 weeks later I was still waiting and cancelled my order. It then took them a further 3 weeks to refund my money. All the while I was struggling to get a straight answer - excuse after excuse after excuse. They really are a bunch of cowboys. It turns out that they do this all the time and have many many dissatisfied customers. If you aren't sure then do a search on visordown.com or post up a thread - plenty will tell you a carbon copy of what happened to me.

In the end I called Moore Speed Racing in Bournemouth who charged me £350 for some genuine Braking Waveys with Carbon Lorraine pads and it turned up 2 days later. They were a great piece of kit.

Dabz
06-02-07, 10:32 AM
thanks Dave, a word of warning for the rest of us there! I must admit I'll probably go for wavey ones when mine need changing...but my reasons were cosmetic only!

GixerBoy
06-02-07, 11:34 AM
PROS...
Due to the vut outs on the outer surface making them wavey they look cool...
On a serious note, the wavey bit does 2 things...
1. As they rotate the "wavey" edge scraps the crap off the pad so you have good clean brakin material.
2. Because of the wavey shape they disserpate heat better....there is a larger outter surface diametre than a standard disc.

Close Gav........

As many of you know,I have 'Braking' wavys on the K3.......
They do look kool,main reason for me buying them! ::)
They weigh 1lb lighter each than the standard disc
Crescent Suzuki actually take the sharp edge off of the edge of the disc cus' it wears the pad out prematurely....
They are supposed to stay cooler,as Gav says,due to the larger outer edge diameter

AND,these are the very same disc's that Ten Kate use in World Supersport! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Genisis
06-02-07, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the replys i think i will go for wavey disks as even though its an older bike it looks nice (well i think it does ;p) i'm gonna check with moore speed and see what i can get for the old girl

desmojen
06-02-07, 02:48 PM
The biggest benefit of wavy discs, and the reason they are fitted to some race bikes, is the lighter weight.
This reduces inertia and makes steering slightly easier.
The fact that they 'sweep' the brake pads is of questionable value, and it was recently proven by MCN that they are actually less efficient in pure stopping power terms than standard shaped discs.

Of course, the reason Gixxerboy fits them is that they look cool ;D

Jen.

Dave
06-02-07, 04:20 PM
thanks Dave, a word of warning for the rest of us there! I must admit I'll probably go for wavey ones when mine need changing...but my reasons were cosmetic only!

This is my thread about them when I ordered - runs for NINE pages.

http://www.visordown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265128

GixerBoy
06-02-07, 06:56 PM
The biggest benefit of wavy discs, and the reason they are fitted to some race bikes, is the lighter weight.
This reduces inertia and makes steering slightly easier.
The fact that they 'sweep' the brake pads is of questionable value, and it was recently proven by MCN that they are actually less efficient in pure stopping power terms than standard shaped discs.

Of course, the reason GixerBoy fits them is that they look cool ;D

Jen.

Must be the reason I'm going with Brembo disc's on the K6 ::) tho I must say I had no probs with the stopping power of the Wavys myself......

I cannot deny it! ::) 8-)

Gav
06-02-07, 07:03 PM
But for the needs of most the brakes will only ever be as good as the rider...
If you cant use them they will always be just for looks!

More important than outright stopping power will always be a brake with plenty of feedback and feel.

GixerBoy
06-02-07, 07:04 PM
Mate,you have GOT to go back over that post and spell check it.......Thats bad even for you!! :o ;D ;)

Gav
06-02-07, 07:05 PM
I cant work the spell checker...

GixerBoy
06-02-07, 07:34 PM
There you go,you CAN spell! :o ;D ;)

Gav
06-02-07, 08:05 PM
But i did that without the spell check....how does it work?

GixerBoy
06-02-07, 09:17 PM
But i did that without the spell check....how does it work?

OK Gav......
On a PC, at the top of screen, on the toolbar, click on the button with 'ABC' written on it. Then simply follow the prompts. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

desmojen
06-02-07, 11:19 PM

The difference is not great, but it is there.
Most modern bikes have very adequate brakes, which is why a small loss in overall stopping power is tolerable as a swap for the better steering characteristics. You could argue that wavy discs cool better, but I'd call that a very marginal argument.

P.S. Gixxerboy has Brembo discs on because he's a poser. And has girly hair.

GixerBoy
07-02-07, 02:09 PM

The difference is not great, but it is there.
Most modern bikes have very adequate brakes, which is why a small loss in overall stopping power is tolerable as a swap for the better steering characteristics. You could argue that wavy discs cool better, but I'd call that a very marginal argument.

P.S. GixerBoy has Brembo discs on because he's a poser. And has girly hair.

At least i don't ride like a girlie eh Jen!! :P ;D ;)

piglet
08-02-07, 01:07 PM
At least i don't ride like a girlie eh Jen!! :P ;D ;)[/quote]

Oi - what's wrong with riding like a girlie??! You should be so lucky! Hurrrumph....

Genisis
08-02-07, 02:43 PM
Well at the moment my brakes are crap i'm pretty sure one is sticking slightly so any improvement is welcome.
Must admit most embarrassing thing was get pissed all over by a Honda CB450 on some country roads because i either lack the exp my friend does or just not happy cornering it ;p
Personally i put it down to knowing i can't stop that quick my brakes are either ON or OFF :o

Going to rebuild the calipers when i get round to ordering the parts.