PDA

View Full Version : Feeble girly problems...

piglet
06-02-07, 06:45 PM
OK, so I'm afraid I know as much about the internal workings of my bike as I do about the internal workings of a giraffe, about which I am deeply ashamed. However, until I get myself a decent book on 'Bike mechanics for complete imbeciles' or some such, what can I do to get a bike which hasn't been run since October started?

It sat outside for a few weeks, but covered, then put in the garage, where it's been since October, and now it will turn over but just won't start. I've charged the battery, given the plugs a quick clean (one of the builders next door showed me where they were - oh, the humiliation...) and still nothing.

Bearing in mind the level of my technical expertise runs out at 'charged the battery' , what else can I try? I'm just desperate to get out there before I forget how to ride altogether!!

:-/

R1chie
06-02-07, 06:51 PM
what bike is it?

have you checked the fuel? might be worth adding a drop more

if it doesn't start after that, try bumping it

Dave
06-02-07, 07:54 PM
Piglet - should have guessed this was you really shouldn't I! My powers of deduction aren't as good as yours evidently.

Anyway.

Did you leave the bike with fuel in the tank? If so, that may be the problem. If left, petrol evaporates but leaves behind a gummy residue in your carb jets, meaning your newly gleaming plugs aren't getting any fuel to ignite.

As previously mentioned though, it may just need bump starting to get everything moving again.

What you need is the special tool known as a 'Dave'. I'll pop over and get it running.

:D 8-)

gixerjonny
06-02-07, 08:00 PM
Piglet - should have guessed this was you really shouldn't I! My powers of deduction aren't as good as yours evidently.

Anyway.

Did you leave the bike with fuel in the tank? If so, that may be the problem. If left, petrol evaporates but leaves behind a gummy residue in your carb jets, meaning your newly gleaming plugs aren't getting any fuel to ignite.

As previously mentioned though, it may just need bump starting to get everything moving again.

What you need is the special tool known as a 'Dave'. I'll pop over and get it running.

:D 8-)

this is not a dating forum davey boy :P ;D ;D ;) .. just dont say you ride a twin. :-[ i wont say a word
:-X ;)

GixerBoy
06-02-07, 08:01 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D

Dave
06-02-07, 08:05 PM
LOL! Cheeky get. ;)

It does sound a bit bad, doesn't it. Piglet here walked past and mentioned this particular bike when I was trying to jump start my TL, I only posted what I did in the open forum instead of by PM because the whole fuel notion may be of help to others who are struggling to restart their recalcitrant motorcycles after the winter layoff. Not that mine gets 'put to bed' - I ride all year round, simply for fun :)

Dave
06-02-07, 08:06 PM
Oh and last time I checked, the GS500 was also a Twin!

;)

Dave
PS I think you've gone a bit overboard on the rear ride height adjustment on your Gixxer mate, judging by the photo...

gixerjonny
06-02-07, 08:12 PM

;)

Dave
PS I think you've gone a bit overboard on the rear ride height adjustment on your Gixxer mate, judging by the photo...

Was'nt me :P

and its not like that when i sit on it :-[ ;D ;D ;)

:-* :-* :-*

GixerBoy
06-02-07, 08:14 PM

Dave

But Piglets a girl mate so its allowed! :o ;D ;)

Don't read to much into that pic Dave,I 'screen-grabbed' that from my video camera and photo-shopped it.....Only 6 inchs off the floor really!! :o :D ;)

gixerjonny
06-02-07, 08:32 PM

Dave

Don't read to much into that pic Dave,I 'screen-grabbed' that from my video camera and photo-shopped it.....Only 6 inchs off the floor really!! :o :D ;)

lier lier bums on fire >:( ;)

GixerBoy
06-02-07, 08:34 PM
You'll have to do it again then mate if we're to believe ya...... :o :P ;)

gixerjonny
06-02-07, 08:47 PM
You'll have to do it again then mate if we're to believe ya...... :o :P ;)

after the photo shoot for bb ;)

just keep them coming 8-)

We need a new section ... Challenge gixerjonny ;D ;)

Dabz
06-02-07, 08:50 PM
a bit like challenge aneka? (sp?). are you going to wear a tight fitting leotard and run around with a clipboard? :D

Gav
06-02-07, 08:51 PM
OH god please no.....

GixerBoy
06-02-07, 08:57 PM
I'll second that.....Noooooooooooo! :o :o :o

BB
06-02-07, 09:11 PM
a bit like challenge aneka? (sp?). are you going to wear a tight fitting leotard and run around with a clipboard? :D

Jeez, my imagination again........ :o

BB

gixerjonny
06-02-07, 10:15 PM

Jeez, my imagination again........ :o

BB

Stop it BB its no good for ya Just wait ;)

BB
06-02-07, 10:45 PM
I feel we are drifting off topic again here....

I'll curb my imagination - not good for an old lady........

BB

Dave
07-02-07, 07:47 PM

Dave

LOL Twins are for girls eh!! That's fightin' talk my friend ;) ;D

piglet
08-02-07, 11:07 AM
this is not a dating forum davey boy :P ;D ;D ;) .. just dont say you ride a twin. :-[ i wont say a word :-X ;)[/quote]

Now excuse me boys, what is going on here?! I take my eyes off the site for a few days and there's all sorts of smut being insinuated. I am shocked, horrified, and probably old enough to be his mother....

(And that wasn't meant as an opportunity for more smutty inuendo.... )

Slapped legs for the lot of you! ;D

And for god's sake don't mention this to my sister...

PS - Dave, you don't have to wear a leotard when you come and sort out the bike for me though, do you? I do have the neighbours to consider... ;)

gixerjonny
08-02-07, 12:24 PM
Piglets sister

guess what you sis is getting upto :P ;D ;) ???

Dave
08-02-07, 02:22 PM
this is not a dating forum davey boy :P ;D ;D ;) .. just dont say you ride a twin. :-[ i wont say a word :-X ;)

Now excuse me boys, what is going on here?! I take my eyes off the site for a few days and there's all sorts of smut being insinuated. I am shocked, horrified, and probably old enough to be his mother....

(And that wasn't meant as an opportunity for more smutty inuendo.... )

Slapped legs for the lot of you! ;D

And for god's sake don't mention this to my sister...

PS - Dave, you don't have to wear a leotard when you come and sort out the bike for me though, do you? I do have the neighbours to consider... ;)[/quote]

Nothing to do with me! I was merely trying to be helpful :)

piglet
11-02-07, 07:13 PM
Working fine now - wretched bike took one look at Dave, who without doubt looks more technically competent than I do, and started first time. Frailty, thy name is Beryl...

Thanks Dave - very much apprectaited. Took her out this afternoon for the first time in months, and I'm still grinning now... :D

piglet
11-02-07, 07:14 PM
.. or even 'appreciated'... You see, still not functioning properly... :D

Dave
12-02-07, 10:56 AM
Ace! My bike is all sorted now too, so it brakes as well as it should :)