PDA

View Full Version : Tyre wear

piglet
07-03-07, 08:14 PM
I've been looking at a second hand bike - Honda Hornet 600. and I've noticed the tyres are more worn on the left hand side than the right, especially the back one. The bike's only done 1600 miles - but they can't all have been round left-hand bends can they?!

Anyone any idea what causes uneven wear and should I avoid it?

FJ_Biker
07-03-07, 11:56 PM
um, no cant help

Did you ask the dealer?

nicko600
08-03-07, 12:09 AM
Hmmmm! Did the previous owner know that you should only go around roundabouts clockwise.

piglet
08-03-07, 07:40 PM
I wondered if he was french perhaps...

Seriously, it's being sold by a dealer who bought it from another dealer, came in as part ex, so I've no idea of history. It's got such a low mileage I'm just a bit suspicious about it, but I don't know what to look for - any chance anyone who knows their bikes is likely to be around the Downton area on Saturday afternoon? I'd really appreciate a bit of help from someone more mechanically minded....

nicko600
08-03-07, 09:31 PM
What time were you thinking as I am working Saturday until about 4pm in the Salisbury area?

piglet
09-03-07, 08:13 AM
Oh poo - the dealer closes at 4 on a saturday, but thanks for the offer. I'll keep pondering.

Dave
09-03-07, 05:49 PM
Sorry Emma, I have to be in Egham by 12:30 on saturday, otherwise i'd come over and have a look for you.

PS Are you aware there's a rideout happening on Sunday?

Grampy
09-03-07, 06:09 PM
Possibly been on a track are the tyres scrubbed to the edges ?

R1chie
09-03-07, 06:49 PM

perhaps.........especially if the rider is better at left handers than right handers

or.........if the track is predominantly left handers, but i can't think of any off the top of my head

chances are it's just normal wear though

piglet
09-03-07, 07:30 PM
Sorry Emma, I have to be in Egham by 12:30 on saturday, otherwise i'd come over and have a look for you.

PS Are you aware there's a rideout happening on Sunday?

Yes, and I really want to go, but my bike's not in a fit state, and unless I get a new one tomorrow I won't be able to - sob!!

piglet
09-03-07, 07:33 PM

perhaps.........especially if the rider is better at left handers than right handers

or.........if the track is predominantly left handers, but i can't think of any off the top of my head

chances are it's just normal wear though

No, the tyres are pretty new, and it doesn't look like track day stuff. I think he must have just ridden around with his arse hanging off one side of it it the whole time!

Oh well, I think I've scratched my head over it long enough. I'll go and have another look tomorrow and either take a risk or wait to see if the SV650 Rob Willsher think they've got coming in materialises.

Ooh, decisions decisions....

;D

Dave
09-03-07, 10:17 PM
Check it for crash damage - it's unlikely anything particularly bad could have gone awry in 1600 miles without it going down the road! Check all parts that could touch down in the event of a crash (bar ends, levers etc) and also feel the lock stops at the base of the head tube to see if they're dinged at all. Theyre basically just blocks of metal that stop the bars on full lock - if the bike had hit the deck hard they would be marked/damaged in some way.

Is the wear real wear or just chicken strips? Maybe take some photos. Ask the lads in the shop to explain why they're worn unevenly - they'll have a reason, even if it's nothing to worry about they'll be able to tell if anything is awry. Feel free to give me a call if you need any advice while you're there - if i'm with the client i'll just reject you but feel free to try.

What's wrong with the GS that's stopping you coming on Sunday? I doubt ill be back from Egham in time to go to Downton with you but I may have time to do some work on your bike if it's nothing serious.

Dave

jj
10-03-07, 09:34 AM
have seen that bike if u need any help pm me