PDA

View Full Version : Timing retard Eliminators.....your experiences...

jonnydangerous
13-12-06, 01:48 PM
ok, ive read the blurb across the net, they claim to be fantastic, amazing, cant live without one etc......but do any of you run a TRE?
im thinking of buying one to help soften the "hit" when the power comes in.....and also cos my GSXR1000 isnt fast enough as it is... ;-)

can anyone state that they fitted one and post their experiences???? cheers bikey mates :-)

jonnydangerous.

GixerBoy
13-12-06, 05:13 PM
'Soften the hit' eh Johnny......The TRE is made to do the complete opposite mate!
As you may know,the Gixer thou (and others) has the timing 'retarded' in the first three gears to 'soften' the power delivery........The TRE is supposed to 'fool' the ECU into thinking that the bike is in 5th gear all the time (remember retards in the first three gears only) plus because of that,it takes away the top speed restrictor as that only works in top (6th) gear.
But......It aint the 'be all,end all' that the makers would have you believe.....To be honest,its barely noticeable......Saying that,if you can pick one up cheap on Ebay,give it a try!

GB.

Gav
13-12-06, 06:36 PM
I belive DYNOJET do a TRE too, but rather than fooling the ECU into thinking it is in 5th it stops the signal from getting to the ECU.
The problem with most of the TRE's is that by fooling the ECU into thinking the bike is in 5th, the bike then runs the fuel map for 5th gear....especially with the SUZUKIS as they are 3D mapped for gear aswell as load and throttle position.

GixerBoy
13-12-06, 07:34 PM
I belive DYNOJET do a TRE too, but rather than fooling the ECU into thinking it is in 5th it stops the signal from getting to the ECU.
The problem with most of the TRE's is that by fooling the ECU into thinking the bike is in 5th, the bike then runs the fuel map for 5th gear....especially with the SUZUKIS as they are 3D mapped for gear aswell as load and throttle position.

So explain the difference that would make and the problems it would cause.......If any,in laymans terms so that Johnny,and everyone else can understand......

Gav
13-12-06, 09:40 PM
So explain the difference that would make and the problems it would cause.......If any,in laymans terms so that Johnny,and everyone else can understand......

Ok my understanding of it goes like this....this may only apply to Suzukis though.

Suzuki for some time now on their sports bikes have been using 3D mappable ECU for ignition and fuel map related directly to gear position and engine load....hence why you can re-map the suzuki ECU's with a yoshi box...
As said above most of the TRE's fool the bike into beliving it is in 4th or 5th gear all the time to stop the ECU retarding the ignition to soften the power delivery and allow full power and top speed, however because the suzuki's ECU maps in 3D (throttle position, engine load and GEAR) this can cause problems as the bike will now only fuel for 4th or 5th gear....oh not to mention will now use an ignition map for the same gear too.

In laymans terms the bike will run a set ignition and fuel map rather than making the most of the available 3D map setup.

No real adverse affect, but bike will be running a map that is meant for max torque and power in 4th or 5th gear, not all 6 gears.

Not a massive problem if you dont mind it really, not evan too sure you would notice it.

As i said i believe Dynojet do one that does not suffer from this problem, iv no doubt it will cost more but if your looking to improve everthing with out any side effects this has to be considered.

Hope this clears it up a bit.

Gav

BB
14-12-06, 12:14 AM
Ok, Gav, so pardon me for being blonde - which I am not - but I still don't get what is 3D mapping and it's relevence. Let's have it in words of one syllable as previously requested.

BB

jonnydangerous
14-12-06, 09:19 AM
3d mapping is where the ECU takes 3 points of reference, eg. throttle position, gear selected and road speed, to come up with a value for input into another 3d map, which may take into account this new value, ignition advance and temp of the coolant, to give a final figure for injector open period......retarding the timing from optimal will decrease the power at any given point but also increase emissions and heat exposure to the piston crown and the formulation of soot in the exhaust gas.......so maybe theres a government grant available to help fund the purchase of TRE's??? to help reduce polution??? i wish!!!....sorry if i didnt make it clear in the original text, im ok with how the TRE works, i just wanted to see if any one fitted one to their bike and actually noticed the difference....thanks for the helpful advice though guys and girls.....

anyone fitted one and noticed the difference???...

thanks bikeymates :-)

BB
14-12-06, 10:08 AM
Cheers, Jonny, that helps clarify it for me a bit - Generally I just ride bikes and don't worry my pretty head about such things! (Shut up you lot!) ;D

BB

jonnydangerous
14-12-06, 10:46 AM
S'ok, i was a mechanic for 10 years before becoming an "office T****r... ;-)
ive repaired bike ECU's with components taken from car stereos,built our own turbo systems (for a 2 litre engined vauxhall chevette!) added 200hp nitrous systems to a Chevvy motor in a sierra, and modified cylinder heads for rally, oval curcuit and short circuit engines.
i also spray paint as well, waterbase and 2K....
all the above means that whenever my mates bikes break they expect me to fix it for free...hahaha... :-)

GixerBoy
14-12-06, 02:41 PM
So sounds like ALL injected motors would be 3D mapped......Gosh,what a surprise eh Johnny........
Still, sounds like that has nothing to do with a TRE and how its works......ANOTHER surprise.......NOT! ::)

I have one of the old TRE's (it was on my K2 before) so not one of the so called 'smart' ones......No probs with the neutral light and the tickover is hardly smooth on them anyway.......Especially since I cut the can down! :o

My mate Steady paid £110 for a smart version (after I warned him not to!) so will see if I can get him to post.....

Gav
14-12-06, 06:34 PM
NO NO NO, not all injection bikes are 3D mapped, only the really smart ones and most suzukis.......

marcmywordz
14-12-06, 08:19 PM
GB :-?I have it on good authority ( a german friend of mine who races Gixxers) that the Smart system(approx £100) is much better than the cheapo one (approx £20)......and If I recall from other posts, wer'nt you being passed rather easy on some of your recent ride outs?....Someone (his wishes to remain nameless, so as not to cause to much embaressment) ::) tells me that even he left you standing the last time you went for a ride!!!!!!....surely a track god should cough up for a decent proven part for his beloved bike rather than risk a cheap unproven copy...... ;)

marcmywordz
14-12-06, 08:24 PM
Oh I forgot to sat my friend, Hienz, races Superstock ::)

BB
14-12-06, 11:35 PM
So Marc, is this the friend that GB & I left behind when we were 2 up on the FZ1? ;D ;)

BB

marcmywordz
15-12-06, 12:36 AM
:-X ;)

GixerBoy
15-12-06, 09:42 AM
Yeah,so there....And learn to use the spell check too!! :P ;D ;)

(Tell Steady he's in BIG trouble when I get hold of him!! :o)

GixerBoy
15-12-06, 09:44 AM
NO NO NO, not all injection bikes are 3D mapped, only the really smart ones and most suzukis.......

You mean theres other bikes out there other than Suzukis??? ::) ;D

GixerBoy
15-12-06, 11:02 AM

Ok Gav.......I think your getting a bit carried away with the term '3D mapping'.......When a bike is on the dyno,the various parameters that are coming "from" the ECU "can" be expressed as a 3D map......On a graph.....Its NOT the map that is IN the ECU......Close but no banana........ ;)

Oh,and all the latest fuel injected bikes can show this info on a '3D' graph.....

There you go, something else you've learnt...... :o ;)

ONFIRE
15-12-06, 12:27 PM

You mean theres other bikes out there other than Suzukis??? ::) ;D

Smart ones that must be my Fireplace. or is that Smart Water, I wonder if my power commander usb has VD ;D ;D ;D ;D

GixerBoy
15-12-06, 03:41 PM
I've missed you mate.... :o ;D ;)

ONFIRE
15-12-06, 04:07 PM
I've missed you mate.... :o ;D ;)

U2 :-* ;)

jonnydangerous
24-01-07, 12:43 PM
well, having now fitted the TRE i can say that a MAJOR tuning mod it isnt, but that the idle seems better ( even though many people say it will get worse) and the throttle response is much smoother, being able now to feeeeeeeed in the power. i would suggest that if your bike can run one, do it!

cheers.

GixerBoy
24-01-07, 02:58 PM
Thanks for keeping us up to date JD!

desmojen
06-02-07, 02:43 PM
What an interesting thread ::)

My husbands race bike (Suzuki) had a TRE fitted. He never noticed the difference from it, but when it went into Crescent for servicing and dyno work they told him in no uncertain terms to junk it, and why.
It was basically for similar reasons that Gav said.

Guess what, the bike made better power without it.

Oh, and another thing, you can make your own for about 10 pence if you know the right people (which I would have thought JD would) so why pay loadsa money for your go slow accessory?

Jen.

GixerBoy
06-02-07, 06:50 PM
You just woke up or what Jen?? :o :D ;)

Gav
06-02-07, 08:19 PM
Way hey i was right......nah nah ne na nah....

GixerBoy
06-02-07, 08:26 PM
Way hey i was right......nah nah ne na nah....

Yeah,you and the rest of the world,rocket science it ain't mate! :o ::) ;)

desmojen
06-02-07, 11:15 PM
Don't get me started about rocket science dude ;D

Jen

GixerBoy
07-02-07, 07:55 PM
:o :o :o ;)

jj
11-02-07, 03:30 PM
just had the dynojet version fitted on my aprilia and it does appear to have made a difference hard to tell how much due to having other work done at the same time

Dave
19-04-07, 03:20 PM
I had one on my TLR. When I took it off to sell the bike, it felt a bit slower.

I had the Nikko G Pack, which is the expensive, clever, one.