PDA

View Full Version : Water in the oil

Genisis
13-04-07, 11:18 AM
A Friend of mine has a Yamaha Diversion 600 and for some unknown reason it keeps getting water in the oil. The really odd thing about this is that it's and air cooled bike,
I have looked all over and can't work out whats going on, It has had the 2-3 oil changes and within a month or so the same problem.
Any Ideas :o

furry-TLR
13-04-07, 12:54 PM
You sure it's Water and not fuel?

If it's fuel then it could be the carbs are overflowing and fuel is running down the cylinder past the piston rings into the oil.

Snowy
13-04-07, 01:33 PM
If he does only short runs he will build up condensation in the oil since it doesn't get hot enough to burn it off. Same as with an exhaust which corrodes quickly with only short runs.

Genisis
16-04-07, 12:46 PM
yeah that makes sense he only runs it from work and to home again , In fairness i rode it the other day and i would only want to ride it to work and back ;p
Thanks for the answers guys

Amante_271
17-04-07, 03:37 PM
Must be only a very short ride to work then!!

Genisis
17-04-07, 04:21 PM
to be honest the guy doesn't know his arse from his armpit. He once asked me when his oil light came on what kind of oil does he need and does he put it in the petrol tank. And then another week he ran other some random bit of metal in the rode went back picked it up and tried to convince me that it fell of his bike :P

ahh a very short ride lives on great western way comes in to Wooten basset

Amante_271
17-04-07, 04:50 PM
Brain cell an optional extra his folks couldnt afford then! ;D

Genisis
17-04-07, 05:16 PM
something like that :P
This really had me going the other day. i borrowed the bike for a few days to take a look at it for him as there was "So much wrong with it" anyhow last Thursday instead of bringing my bike in i brought his. 1st Fag break of the day he comes outside and goes to me " you got a new bike then Mat" i almost wet my self.

Amante_271
17-04-07, 05:45 PM
;D ;D ;D I rest my case!! Surgest he trys to get some 2nd hand brain cells on Flee-bay! ;D ;D ;D

furry-TLR
17-04-07, 06:28 PM
;D Classic......I'll make sure I'll give any Diversion 600 riders in that area a wide birth though ;D

Dave
19-04-07, 04:28 PM
How do you get water in the oil on an AIR cooled bike?!

Genisis
20-04-07, 12:25 PM
Well his original idea was someone going round Swindon Pouring Water into Peoples Bikes ;p However we worked out that Short distance runs do it.
Something to do with condensation building up and not being run long enought to get rid of it