PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying gixers

benobiker
08-05-07, 01:01 PM
Hi all, Can anyone share experience, or point me in the direction of advice re buying an old 95 gixer that has had mods done? They have been done proffesionally, its that i am trying to find out what the overal picture is of the bruiser gixer 1100 motor and how it copes with being modified? OR for that matter any bike engine and experience much appriciated in helping me decide if I should go for the bike or not.

Cheers Ben,

bubbafred
08-05-07, 06:44 PM
is the frame or anything else polished or has stickers on?? this could hide crash damage.
the brakes will tire with age so be prepared to spend, are the front shocks pitted or any signs of oil leeks, once again more money, the rear may need some work on the shock, the motor, is a tough old nut but look for oil, from the exhaust could be worn piston rings or leeking valves, if you arrange a viewing turn up an hour earlier, so they dont warm up the engine see what it starts like from cold, listen for any tapping as this could be cam chain tensioner, not expensive to fix just a pain, if you would like help more than happy to help if i can.

benobiker
09-05-07, 08:00 AM
Cheers for that, much appriciated indeed! Will take all that on board. Might take you up on that offer!

is the frame or anything else polished or has stickers on?? this could hide crash damage.
the brakes will tire with age so be prepared to spend, are the front shocks pitted or any signs of oil leeks, once again more money, the rear may need some work on the shock, the motor, is a tough old nut but look for oil, from the exhaust could be worn piston rings or leeking valves, if you arrange a viewing turn up an hour earlier, so they dont warm up the engine see what it starts like from cold, listen for any tapping as this could be cam chain tensioner, not expensive to fix just a pain, if you would like help more than happy to help if i can.

jonnydangerous
12-06-07, 09:04 AM
mmmmm....mind out if it jumps out of second gear, they are known for eating the gear dogs off of the side of the gear, and replacement of the gears is the only cure, and slight bore wear on high mileage...apart from that theyre good motors.......