PDA

View Full Version : Filters

nicko600
28-02-07, 10:11 PM
Are K&N oil/air filters much better than oe stuff?

gravelrash
28-02-07, 10:42 PM
It depends on your idea of better, a clean fresh standard air filter is easily as good as a performance filter. Where the performance variety excel is thier consistancy over a longer period, plus with cleaning and oiling will easily exceed the life span of a standard air filter. A genuine oe filter can easily be £20+, a k&n soon pays for itself.
I have little knowledge on performance oil filters. Can only assume they are freer flowing elements, hopefully not at the expence of filtering efficency.

Ade

jj
01-03-07, 05:51 PM
perfomance air filters can have a larger surface area than a oe, so flow more air but this is only any good if u can do something with it as for oil filters understand some do not filter as well as oe models due to being less restrictive to give better flow

ONFIRE
01-03-07, 08:24 PM
Are K&N oil/air filters much better than oe stuff?

Stay with your genine Honda part, K&N will last lifetime of the your bike no great improvement unless you start performance tuning your bike at great expense.

Change your bike would be an improvement, thats if you need something any quicker ;) 8-)

Take a look at the Honda manual will give you exact times when to replace and adjust componants 8-)

Dabz
02-03-07, 01:44 PM
the k&n made a difference on the 1200 bandit (had an air filter) - better throttle response

igbell
14-03-07, 11:54 AM
K&N and Ram Air filters do improve the BHP on your Bike/Car, I fitted on on my Vectra (car) which boosted the BHP by 14BHP, but you do need to keep them clean otherwise they dont do the job.
It does work out to be about the same costings as keep buying OE versions over the life span, as you have to buy cleaning kits for the filters.
Others than that they do make the engine sound a little more rasp which is well cool. ;)

I have just won a Ram Air filter for my VFR and will be slapping that on.

bubbafred
05-05-07, 10:34 AM
fitting a K&n air filter works best with a free flow exhaust, as you are allowing more air in so you need to get more burnt gases out quicker, but on the down side, if you are allowing more air in you need more fuel a fuel ratio of about 13 to 1 is normally just right, a carb powered bike needs dyno jetted, and a fuel injected one needs some thing like a power commander.

furry-TLR
08-05-07, 06:45 PM
I use K&N oil filters and air filter........oil filters are good never had any problems...air filter lets alot of air through with the yoshi system had to up the fuel injection 10% everywhere....but it stops all crap getting in the engine too....some other performance filters may let more flow through but might not actually filter as well and let stuff into the engine :(

Best of all with K&N air filters...they do aftercare kits to clean them too...which is better than using parafin IMO.

jonnydangerous
12-06-07, 09:12 AM
K+N, never had a problem, but they do have to be oiled for them to work and catch the particles, where as the waxed medium in a standard filter does filter down to a smaller size (approx 5 microns) and has a better burst strength ( when a filter gets blocked the filter media will bulge and allow unfiltered air to pass through openings in the media)......i once did a huge project for Challenger 2 Tank engine filtration (26 litre 1200bhp) with a filter manufacturer, and for Quality of filtered air you cant beat a standard filter, but for performance, and normal road conditions (No desert sand storms!) the K+N is the better bet......my personal opinion......