PDA

View Full Version : G Reg Yamaha xj900 Problems

flyingosca
29-06-07, 03:56 PM
Hi all,
I posted a problem 'my trike won't start' a short while ago. a few of you guys and gals suggested possible causes and remedies but so far nothing has worked and I am starting to get worried.
At the end of the day it doens't matter if the engine is in a trike or a bike. It won't start and we can't find a reason why.
Can anyone out there suggest anything else I can try, plugs / carbs / leads / voltage / fuel etc have all been checked and are fine I just can't figure it out and am getting withdrawl symptoms. Its lucky the weather isn't that good to get out and about at the moment.
A last resort would be to replace the engine. Can anyone give me an idea of what that kind of job would cost??
Thanks all.
Larry

igbell
29-06-07, 04:57 PM
Hello Larry
When you try and start the engine do you get a kick from the starter??
Do you get anything??
What actually happens when you push the starter button??

Ig.

flyingosca
29-06-07, 05:34 PM
Hi, it kicks over when we try to start it up. She just won't fire up.

furry-TLR
29-06-07, 09:13 PM
Well your either missing fuel, sparks or both.

If your missing fuel, check the carbs (assuming it's not injected!)

If it's missing sparks...then let us know if it's missing sparks on all cylinders or just some of them.

(would suggest checking for sparks first and if they are there then assume it's a fueling problem!)

Gav
30-06-07, 11:54 AM
Iv just read your posyt about the trike....
As you have said the spare connector you have comes from the left hand side of motor by the output shaft and neutral indicator i would say thiat is the wires from the pick ups, so the cdi is not giving a spark. Simply plug it back in and all should be good.
It should plug in somewhere under the tank toward the rear...well on the xj it would anyway....lol

flyingosca
30-06-07, 11:57 AM
Thanks furry, am away for w-end so will check sparks on Mon. I'm getting worried about all this. I mean an engine HAS to run everything is in place doesn't it? The thing was running fine so I just don't get it.

flyingosca
30-06-07, 12:00 PM
Sorry Gav, did'nt mean to ignore your response. Will see if I can find anywhere to plug the connector in on Monday. Thanks

furry-TLR
30-06-07, 02:46 PM
No probs m8 just a case of fault finding by the process of elimination...had to do it on plenty of bikes I've owned in the past but don't stress about it will get there in the end...enjoy your weekend :)

flyingosca
11-07-07, 01:51 PM
Hi WB.
Just to let you all know that Eliots of Cricklade finally got my trike running. Various wiring problems, lack of earth connections were apparently the problem so my thanks to Alistair for that one.
As a word of warning to any bike purchasers out there think twice before getting a bike from eBay or make 100% sure that you know what you are getting cos my trike is suffering from all sorts of 'little' problems from dodgy rear braking system to leaking seals to ****ty wiring. I'm going to have a shot at fixing what I can but it looks as tho Eliots will be getting the trike back in October (when they ain't so busy) for a final check over before testing. It doesn't look as tho I'm going to be doing much riding this summer (when it arrives)

furry-TLR
11-07-07, 09:50 PM
Nice One I not used them but sounds like they are top peeps...electrical/no sparkies after all then!

Enjoy :)