PDA

View Full Version : Oil and filter change

Nokesy
08-07-07, 06:49 PM
This morning I completed my first oil and filter change on my Bandit 600. As I do not own a strap wrench I have only tightened new filter by hand. (I got the old one off with the very technical screwdriver and hammer method!). I have run the bike for a while and there do not appear any leaks. I know the gasket will adhere over time but is this going to be tight enough to not cause me any problems??

furry-TLR
08-07-07, 07:03 PM
Risky...just pop it down bike garage for 2 secs to make sure...if they are nice they wont even charge for it :)

Failing that can get the correct tool on ebay for a cpl of quid.

Actually come to think of it if your in the Trowbridge area look up GM Stevenson...

http://www.nutz4bikes.co.uk/

Not used them myself but meant to be good, I'm sure they can help you out :)

nicko600
08-07-07, 07:54 PM
As far as I was aware all oil filters should only be hand-tight.

furry-TLR
08-07-07, 08:21 PM
Depends who's hand it is...better to get the right tool or take it to a decent garage :)

Snowy
08-07-07, 10:22 PM
Hand tight is just fine - just give the seal a little wipe around with new oil before fitting it. Also, next time refill the filter with oil before fitting it - saves starting the engine a little dry at start up.

Nokesy
09-07-07, 10:28 AM
Thanks all for your advice - much appreciated!!

mike
09-07-07, 03:59 PM
Hand tight is just fine - just give the seal a little wipe around with new oil before fitting it. Also, next time refill the filter with oil before fitting it - saves starting the engine a little dry at start up.

Totally agree with what Graeme says. I've never more than hand tightened any canister type filter and never had one come undone.

jonnydangerous
10-07-07, 01:17 PM
or you could ask your brother....whos been a mechannic nearly twenty years... ;-)
or the boke that sat next to him at college for four years........ :-)

Nokesy
11-07-07, 01:15 PM
or you could ask your brother....whos been a mechannic nearly twenty years... ;-)
or the boke that sat next to him at college for four years........ :-)

He's knows nothing about bikes!! The bloke that sat next to might I suppose!! ;D ;D ;D

furry-TLR
11-07-07, 09:55 PM
Soooki manual says "Using special tool...After contacting the gasket tighten 2 turns"...if you can get two full turns at that point with your hand then by all means try, but I think you'll find thats what they made the tool for :)

Snowy
11-07-07, 11:01 PM
I guess some people have stronger wrists than others lol. My Beemer "special tool" is simply the correct sized socket that fits the cannister and is required more for removal than fitting. I have lived by the old motto of never "overtighten an oil filter" ever since I did once many moons ago. Never had one come loose but maybe BWM seals are better than others lol.

furry-TLR
11-07-07, 11:43 PM
Lets face it the BMW stuff your used to is made for abuse and is in a completely different league to the inferior jap stuff.

I use K&N Filters which have their own size 17 nut on the top of them anyway, makes the job a 2 second easy peasy one...they ain't much more than the stock filters either :)

HC8
12-07-07, 01:54 PM
you shoulda said gemma we had a shed day sunday you coulda bimbled over and joined in ;D