PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to mix tyres front and back?

Dabz
01-04-07, 05:28 PM
got a bt-020 on the back, but thinking about getting a bt-021 on the front - is it ok to mix or should I just get myself a bt-020 for the front too?

mike
03-04-07, 06:28 PM
Should be okay, as long as you make sure the stickier of the two is on the front. I used to run BT010 front & BT020 rear on my Falco.

Snowy
03-04-07, 09:50 PM
Generally it's OK to mix as long as it's not a radial/x-ply. I would also look at profiles to see if they are similar otherwise you may get weaving taking place.

Dabz
04-04-07, 08:32 AM
I decided to go with another bt-020 afterall :P

Gav
05-04-07, 12:16 AM
Bit late i know, but the BT021 is the direct replacment for the BT020 anyway so would have been fine.

Dabz
05-04-07, 09:59 AM
yeh I was aiming for the 021 because it's meant to give 14% more wear, but struggled to find one. I was ordering a load of bits from m and p and they don't carry the bt021 yet!

Gav
08-04-07, 03:28 PM
Bike treads....we have them sat on the shelf fella...

furry-TLR
08-04-07, 03:48 PM
Key point as mentioned is the tyre Profile...there is a good chance if you mix n match the profiles will be different.

Way I see it tyres are the most important piece of safety kit you can spend your money on...so if you got a sports bike then honour it by fitting sports rubber....if you want to clock up miles get a touring bike and fit touring rubber.

I see from your pics you got a TT, not many people know about them and those that do a little bit shrug them off as a poor substitute to jap 600's...but I know they are actually bikes that handle really well (and a cracking buy) and you owe it to the bike to fit sports rubber to it.

Try BT014's...full on sports rubber but you'll still see upto 6k miles out the rear on your bike :)

Also anonther tip, buy tyres online (cheeper look on ebay for blackroundhoops) and take them to lynhams to be fitted they always do it right for a good price :)

PS: Last time I dealt with biketreads they sold me a Heavy Duty chain which snapped after 100 miles, then tried to fob me off by saying I didn't fit it right...Not used them again since >:(

Dave
19-04-07, 04:25 PM
Try BT014's...full on sports rubber but you'll still see upto 6k miles out the rear on your bike :)

6k!!!! A friend had BT014s on his ZX6R and didn't get great tyre life - he switched to BT020s in the end.

I've never had more than 2 - 2.5k miles out of a rear :( That was on a ZX7R though, which is quite heavy. I sold the TLR too quickly to replace the rubber, but the brand new rear was VERY worn after 1 hard track day. I sold it with both tyres munched and bobbled right off the edges :) heheh. Hopefully the R1 will give me decent tyre life as it's lighter with nice smooth power delivery. I got 600 miles out of the worn rear tyre that it came with, and it had another 50-100 miles left (it was JUST off the markers) but I got a puncture. Not bad really as it only had 2mm left when I bought the bike.

furry-TLR
08-05-07, 06:47 PM
I did say upto! lol

I've just done over 3k miles on my TLR with one on the rear and it's time for a change...I'm happy with that :)

Mac
08-05-07, 08:12 PM
I've used BT014s and only got 3k out of the rear.
Have also tried the Metzlers M3's too...which I really like. Gonna stick Pirelli 3's after I've gone thru my BT015's

bubbafred
08-05-07, 09:13 PM
how did you rate the 014?? running 010 at the mo love them, hated the bt 56 tore them to shreds in no time, been told to use 014, but to go to a 200 rear section not sure if i want to do that as it will slow the steering down

bubbafred
08-05-07, 09:15 PM
i can honestly say i have nvere mixed front and rears its the only thing keeping you on the road, as differant tyres warm up differant and not worth the risk

jonnydangerous
11-06-07, 10:56 AM
i mixed fronts and rears all the time, had a heavy EXUP 1000 and had no problems at all ever, as long as you do have a stickier front than back . but this is only my personal opinion. i used to use 020's as well and they are a cracking tyre, well sticky enough for our c**p roads, so good choice you made there.
the 014's on my GSXR were pants i thought, they just wear out fast, but again this is only my personal opinion.....

Silverrider
11-06-07, 05:58 PM
This is taken from the Bridgestone website. It's maybe the manufacturer covering their arses but.....

Q: I have a pair of BT-020's fitted, but the rear needs replacing. Can I fit the new BT-021 with the BT-020 front?
A: At present, the BT-020 and BT-021 have not been tested as a pair. So to say they will work together would be foolish as there is no data to suggest they will.

Below is the link to the site
http://www.battlax.co.uk/faq.asp

Gav
21-06-07, 10:42 PM
Key point as mentioned is the tyre Profile...there is a good chance if you mix n match the profiles will be different.

Way I see it tyres are the most important piece of safety kit you can spend your money on...so if you got a sports bike then honour it by fitting sports rubber....if you want to clock up miles get a touring bike and fit touring rubber.

I see from your pics you got a TT, not many people know about them and those that do a little bit shrug them off as a poor substitute to jap 600's...but I know they are actually bikes that handle really well (and a cracking buy) and you owe it to the bike to fit sports rubber to it.

Also anonther tip, buy tyres online (cheeper look on ebay for blackroundhoops) and take them to lynhams to be fitted they always do it right for a good price :)

PS: Last time I dealt with biketreads they sold me a Heavy Duty chain which snapped after 100 miles, then tried to fob me off by saying I didn't fit it right...Not used them again since >:(

Oh i see your another one of those bikers that knows everything about everthing...
1st off.....heavy duty chain that snapped after 100miles.....yup fitted wrong as we fit hundreds and HAVE NEVER had one snap after 3000miles let alone 100 miles!

As for 6k from a set of BT014s.....well im sorry to say but if your getting that milage from sports tyres then chances are that you are not riding to within hapf of thier potential and therefor probably not getting them warm enough to generate anymore heat than a set of BT021s riden in the same fashion!!!!!
As a general rule of thumb if you are looking to get good milage from your tyres then stick a sports tyre on the front, and the alternative sports touring tyre on the rear...this will evan out the tyre wear and for 99.9% of riders will offer more than enough grip!

Gav
21-06-07, 10:45 PM
This is taken from the Bridgestone website. It's maybe the manufacturer covering their arses but.....

Q: I have a pair of BT-020's fitted, but the rear needs replacing. Can I fit the new BT-021 with the BT-020 front?
A: At present, the BT-020 and BT-021 have not been tested as a pair. So to say they will work together would be foolish as there is no data to suggest they will.

Below is the link to the site
http://www.battlax.co.uk/faq.asp

This too is correct, straneg but true...before a manufacturer will recommend a tyre to a bike....they will actually test the tyres on the bike....
And again before they will say yes the 020 and the 021 will work fine...they will first test them as a pair on a mixture of bikes and riding styles to make sure they work...

furry-TLR
21-06-07, 10:51 PM
Excuse me...I didn't fit it wrong...I've got engineering qualifications after my name thankyou very much...and won't be touching that place again with a barge pole!

PS: Would like to add I've done over 70'000 miles on bikes using DID X-ring rivited chains fitted by myself...only reason I fitted that crappy heavy duty one was waiting for new DID one to come in the post...biggest mistake I ever made never again!

As for BT014's...I get 3k out of one on my TLR...on 600 in theory should be seeing more than that...and depending how hard the bike is ridden on a TT600 that could be as much as 6k...but realisticaly if he's giving it beans then 3-4k

As for mixing sports rubber on the back and touring on the rear...that's just plain stupid...the front will be gripping more than the rear making the bike more unstable and less traceable...whatever you put on the front also put on the rear they are designed to grip with eachother based on their compersisitions.

Mac
30-06-07, 04:40 PM
I had bt014s last year on my 600 and only just got 3100 miles out of them before changine for M3's

furry-TLR
01-07-07, 02:00 AM
Obviously giving that 600 of yours a good ride then ;) Nice one!

BT014's Have to say now the front is getting near the limit it's feeling vauge round corners and I'm having to readjust my line on occasions...but from experience different tyres go off in different ways...with Diablo's used to be the rears more than the front that made it feel funny when worn.

Anyone tried the BT012's or BT002's? views/mileage?

Beenz
08-07-07, 05:30 PM
I would not touch BT014s again. 1.5K miles and the rear was toast, usuable for longer but any fun was long gone. I really don't think I could really rate em for feedback either. Just my opinion on my bike. Diablos on the other hand have doubled that milage on my bike. I'll be trying the Corsa III variant when it's next change. Some peeps love the 014, I am not one of them.

furry-TLR
08-07-07, 06:02 PM
Well different tyres work differently on different bikes...

I can pick faults with both the BT014 and the Diablos...BT014's are much better in the wet...the Diablos are slightly better in the dry.
(When banked over you notice the Diablo gives good grip and feedback, the BT014 grips but feels vauge)

Wear rate, not too impressed with the BT014 front wearing out when I'm only half way though my 2nd rear.

With the Diablos though I found the rear squared off too easy, BT014's didn't.

Not sure what tyres I'll fit next, was considering Avons but getting mixed reports on them, Anyone tried the Continentals or any others?

JamesD
13-07-07, 07:31 AM
BT014 as standard on the ZZR14, tyre life is poor surveying most owners (1500-3000 miles) but I suppose that is to be expected. Many riders now moving to Pilot Road 2CT or Avon Storm for better tyre life....my only concern is warrenty issues for the tyre swap, I will need to check with the dealer.