PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Idling Speed

flyingosca
26-07-07, 05:50 PM
Hi everybody.

Further to my "My Trike won't start" topic, it is now starting fine and dandy but the idling speed is WAY too fast.
Not being very mechanicaly minded I dug out the trusty Haynes manual and located the idling speed control knob situated in the middle and behind the 4 carbs on my yamaha xj900.
Despite twiddling both ways the engine is still screaming at me. As soon as she is in gear and doing some work she settles down to normality.
Can anyone suggest any other reasons and remedies as to why the engine is idling so fast? I had thought to check the throttle control or choke cable to see if either of them may be stuck / sticking so thats a possibility I suppose.
I'm really sorry the weather has been so bad recently. I guess it has kept a few riders at home (it has me) although I am sure that those hardened riders out there have been out in the floods. Good for you guys & Gals.

Keep Safe.

furry-TLR
26-07-07, 06:15 PM
Could well be either the choke sticking open or throttle cable not allowing the carbs to fully shut.

Latter is easy to check, just look at the butterflies inside the carbs, do they close fully when the throttle is closed?

Choke cable, well it could be stuck holding the choke open...likewise the wee bits inside the carbs that perform the choke action (little plungers) could also be stuck.

Suggest having a look on fleebay for an xj900 manual on CD...be worth it's weight in gold...sell the haynes on there to some unsuspecting muppet at the same time ;)

Amante_271
26-07-07, 07:16 PM
As a guess it could also be an air leak in front of the carbs pulling extra mixture thru! It might be worth a check to see if theres a split/crack in the carb rubbers. I had this happen to me ages ago (on a bike -not personally!) and a new set of rubbers and all was well!

furry-TLR
26-07-07, 07:40 PM
Andrew's spot on there check that too!...nice one :)

Amante_271
27-07-07, 05:52 AM
::) Whats this warm glow forming round my cheeks?? BLUSH!! BLUSH!! ::)

flyingosca
27-07-07, 09:43 AM
Thanks guys, I'll check it out over the weekend and let you know what turns up.

Looks like we might all be in for some sunshine over the weekend, its about time!

flyingosca
27-07-07, 09:44 AM
Oh yes, I'll get on fleabay too and look for a CD, I guess the manual ain't much good then?