PDA

View Full Version : trike immobiliser

flyingosca
25-07-08, 07:48 AM
Hi everyone, I posted here last year when I was having problems with my Yamaha xj900 trike. Thankfully everything is sorted now and its gone through its Class III test.
Thanks again to everyone who offered help & advice.
NOW I've been told it has to go thru the MSVA test as I ( idiot ) did'nt notice it was still registered as a bike so it has to have a new reg - hence the test.
I've been through the test manual and I'm confident she will go through but the trike has to have an immobiliser fitted.
I have argued the toss with VOSA that a bloody good chain and lock will do the job just as well but no luck. They are adamant the trike has to have electronic protection.
I bought an immobiliser with remote start but despite titanic efforts by a trike builder friend of mine could not get it to fit the Yamaha.
My ignition switch only has two wires (+12v in to the switch and +12v out to the ignition) so had two extra wires from the kit with nowhere to go and the suppliers went rather queit when I contacted them for advice.
Can anyone advise a local (between Cirencester and Swindon) workshop who may be able to fit an immobiliser to my trike, OR suggest an immobiliser I can fit myself (one with pictures in the instructions!!! hehehe)
I'm not fussed about remote start or talking alarms, just a basic system to get me through the test.
My trike saga has been dragging on since Feb 07 and I really need to get on the road soon!
Thanks

FJ_Biker
25-07-08, 08:45 PM
Tri-state on bumpers farm, Chippenham are the people for fitting an alarm. They used to manufacture some really good bike alarms (and might still do).

Flyingosca wrote

but the trike has to have an immobiliser fitted

Sounds bizarre and bloody mad to me but that’s the UK I guess ::)

flyingosca
26-07-08, 08:29 AM
Thanks FJ, I'll give em a call.
I will also take some photo's of the trike this week and get em posted on here.....

flyingosca
28-07-08, 11:16 AM
Hi people,
A little good news at last. I've been back on to VOSA who have now told me that a battery isolator switch is acceplable for the test so I don't need an electronic immobiliser!
Just waiting for good old eBay to send me one I bought this morning and I should be ready for the MSVA test.
Thanks again for the input