PDA

View Full Version : fireblade sounds like bag of nails

northernsean
03-08-08, 09:01 PM
i bought my 900firebalade couple of days ago, when the bike is not engaged in to a gear or the clutch is pulled in, it sounds lovely. But when im riding along accelerating there is a loud noise and only way 2 describe it is as a bag of nails, but soon as u pull clutch in the noise stops. any help would be much appreciated. sean

Davey
04-08-08, 08:57 AM
What year is yours?

Mine done that when the cam chain tensioner had gone - is the rattle from the top of the engine? Not an expensive fix if it is and quite common on blades

northernsean
04-08-08, 09:04 AM
Hi

It's a '96 model, not 2 sure where the noise is coming from. Will get it looked at.

Thanx

BB
04-08-08, 03:30 PM
If it was rattling like that and I had only bought it a couple of days ago I personally would take it straight back! >:(

BB

Iceman
04-08-08, 04:50 PM
If it was rattling like that and I had only bought it a couple of days ago I personally would take it straight back!
BB

He bought the bike for a good price in the first place as he wanted it, so spending some money on it is feasible. I think the noises may be clutch related as the Fireblade 900s were known for it from sources on fireblade.org

northernsean
04-08-08, 05:08 PM
thats rite i got it at a very good price indeed, just wish i could pin point wot it is making the noise, best bet is get it into a garage

BB
04-08-08, 05:42 PM
Fair enough in that case - I'm sure we have an 'expert' or two on here willing to have a listen.

Let's hope you gamble pays off and all your bills are little ones! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

northernsean
04-08-08, 06:07 PM
lets hope some 1 is looking down on me hey... ::)

Davey
04-08-08, 06:48 PM
Whereabouts are you in Swindon?

Iceman - just remembered I have that horn thing still - I'll be going by the Chinese Exp about 5.30 tomorrow night if thats any good 4 you

northernsean
04-08-08, 07:02 PM
I'm in town centre of Swindon. I'll let my father-in-law know (Iceman) about wot time you'll b going down chinese exp.

Davey
04-08-08, 08:03 PM
Cheers - he don't need the bit now

I'll still be going that way if you need an ear to listen for the rattle if you want to meet me there?

Upto you? Or just pop it into somewhere like bike treads they'll be able to advise and not far from you

northernsean
04-08-08, 09:04 PM
yeah that will be brilliant mate, i'll wait 4 u by the entrance to the chinese experience. my mob number is 07931805549, cheers buddy.

6T
04-08-08, 09:44 PM
hi fireblade i am more used to vintage bikes but from the symtoms you have listed (no noise when clutch engaged or in nuetral) i would be looking at the transmission,have you checked the gearbox oil ?. if it was the cam chain i would expect to hear the noise all the time,hope its nothing to expensive . welcome to wb by the way. regards steve

Davey
04-08-08, 10:38 PM
hi fireblade i am more used to vintage bikes but from the symtoms you have listed (no noise when clutch engaged or in nuetral) i would be looking at the transmission,have you checked the gearbox oil ?. if it was the cam chain i would expect to hear the noise all the time,hope its nothing to expensive . welcome to wb by the way. regards steve

Mine used to vary with clutch in or out - easy to listen and at least eliminate it - see ya about 5.30 you'll hear me b4 seeing me
;D

Davey
05-08-08, 06:33 PM
Did you find the fault? Sorry couldn't make it as stuck at work:(

northernsean
05-08-08, 06:48 PM
didn't find fault, but found out i need my carbs setting up, so im gonna get it into bike treads get them 2 do that and have a go at solving problem. cheers for sending stu in replacement,

northernsean
05-08-08, 06:52 PM
THUNDERBIRD.... thanks for message im getting it into be looked at, aint got time to do anything myself. will u be on round out sunday?

Davey
05-08-08, 07:03 PM
No worries - I had a lovely text off him by all accounts he was slightly wet ;D

He also commented it was a nice looking bike different paint job from the normal too!

Iceman
13-08-08, 09:22 PM
Your Bike sounded Ok on Sundays' Rideout. Atleast when you were passing! ;)