PDA

View Full Version : number plate mot failure

Tubz
10-06-08, 05:29 PM
Can anyone help me with this...
Ive jus been told in order to pass an MOT you now need some sorta postcode and other bs standard markings on the bottom right of a number plate.
Does anyone know if this applies to cars/bikes made after a certain date? As i need to get my tin can in for MOT and dont really want to fork out for a new number if unnecessary.
(my numplate is not the original btw)

r1rebel
10-06-08, 05:36 PM
sorry mate i do belive that a bs marking and postcode of where the number plate was mead is needed but there are sites that will do number plates and the advertisement is small enough that it still passes an mot. hope this helps if not goto the dvla website and type in mot and look on there for the pre-requisite for mot's :D

Sue600
10-06-08, 07:49 PM
Dont fancy changing mine on the car - cost would be more than the car is worth! :o

Dabz
10-06-08, 10:50 PM
Mine just says "www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk" along the bottom and passed ok 2 weeks ago. I do think what you said is right, but just not sure testers are enforcing it harshly just yet

Sue600
10-06-08, 10:54 PM
I'll check tomorrow if and when they will enforce it - work right opposite an MOT place

Hunar
10-06-08, 11:53 PM
fudges MOT is due tomorrow (wednesday) so will be able to confirm!

Gav
11-06-08, 12:57 AM
I can clarify this for you.
No you dont need the post code or the BSAU number on the bottom of the number plate.....but you will soon. However it will need to be a standard size number plate(depending on how the tester is feelin i guess)
VOSAthe people who run the MoT scheme for the goverment did introduce testing standards for bike number plates to fall in line with the car mot, however the mot testing guide is a manual based on road traffic legislation and standards....
They did fully introduce the number plate checks and tehn a week later had to withdraw them as someon in there legal department pointed out that there is no requirment on a bike to have the post code and bsau number, also a few other things like the back ground and coulour of the plate.
This is due to the road traffic act being so out of date woth regards to bikes its a waste of time....

So in short just a legal size plate will do

Sue600
11-06-08, 07:17 AM
Thanks Gav... no need to change mine then :D

Tubz
11-06-08, 01:20 PM
My other half just took his bike into a place nr marlborough and they failed him on it.
He had to go and by another plate and they re did the MOT for free.

bikerbabe
11-06-08, 01:29 PM
oh right are you still with keegs then chan? i am on the nosey for new number plates at the mo for my wheels just seeing what is out and about .

Tubz
11-06-08, 01:35 PM
well dont go to that place nr marlborough- think it is in fyfield. Get the impression they are pretty enforceful.

bikerbabe
11-06-08, 01:43 PM
ok made a note not to go there

FJ_Biker
11-06-08, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the info Gav

Tubz
11-06-08, 10:38 PM
yea sorry, i skipped your post abit Gav, thanks

r1rebel
12-06-08, 02:18 PM
i had no problem with bike treads in swindon quick & easy just the way i like it!! got told to go there by george whites as they could not fit me in ( there is a joke about being large and door ways there).

Iceman
12-06-08, 05:00 PM
What postcode are we talking about? I had a new plate made up a month ago and I just checked it.It has the name of the shop that supplied it including their postcode in small writing at bottom.

schwee
25-06-08, 02:18 PM
yes, the postcode of the place that sold it :D

Hunar
25-06-08, 02:25 PM
Fudge passed with a standard size aquare plate, with nothing else on it apart from the numbers and letters of the registration itself, oh and a reflector

hotdog
25-06-08, 03:02 PM
Think it depends on the age of the vehicle.

kaka
25-06-08, 06:24 PM
As we are on about mot a bit of info for anyone who has a race exhaust on their bike.

As long as it does not say "not for road use" on it or is not too loud it will pass but will know for certain tomorrow when mine goes in

schwee
27-06-08, 10:11 PM
Yes it should.

I think its a case of who you know when it comes to MOT testing however, as my bikes have passed with a few naughty bits on in the past

Ghost
28-06-08, 11:33 AM
Yes it should.

I think its a case of who you know when it comes to MOT testing however, as my bikes have passed with a few naughty bits on in the past

and thats plod speaking! ;D

schwee
28-06-08, 06:39 PM
;D like i said - its WHO you know ;)

Amante_271
28-06-08, 07:18 PM
Whats the old saying of one rule for them and one for the rest of us.......... ::)

schwee
28-06-08, 08:45 PM
not everyone knows what i do :)

plus i'm biker friendly - unless you're a c0ck in front of me that is :-?

kaka
29-06-08, 02:31 PM
Glad to say it passed

Only notes were excessive play in brake lever which i am informed is common when you change to braided hoses.

crewy
27-08-08, 04:20 PM
If an M.O.T tester fails your car/bike you have the right to ask the tester to show you in the M.O.T testers manual what and where it states why they failed it and they must show you the book.

Most number plate failures are due to the space between the numbers being to small, but all passes and failures vary as it's up to the testers discresion. :)

igbell
27-08-08, 05:10 PM
I say arse to it all

ONFIRE
27-08-08, 06:40 PM

Or did... :o ;D ;D ;D

http://www.kewego.co.uk/video/iLyROoaft5rD.html

igbell
27-08-08, 06:53 PM
Your having a giraffe

Hunar
29-08-08, 12:46 AM

Andrew make sure ur never in front of her!

igbell
29-08-08, 06:30 PM
;D ;D :D :D ;D

ONFIRE
29-08-08, 10:47 PM
Was it Troy Bayliss who said....

I would rather put the bike into the wall than finish second 8-)

Not sure that this has anything to do with number plates ;D ;D ;D 8-)

Davey
30-08-08, 10:03 AM
Was it Troy Bayliss who said....

I would rather put the bike into the wall than finish second 8-)

But they also pay Bayliss shed loads of money to come first :D