PDA

View Full Version : Downpipe flange nuts broken

flyingosca
31-07-07, 09:09 AM
Help, its me again guys & gals.
I'm still trying to get my trike sorted, two of the exhaust downpipes are rusted so need to be replaced. I tried to get all 4 off because I want to replace them all and 3 out of the 8 flange nuts broke off :( Probably not been moved since 1983.
Can anyone suggest a way for me to get them out so I can replace the down pipes ?

Thanks again!

furry-TLR
31-07-07, 02:29 PM
Take it these are the sort where there is a stud with a nut on the end of it...as apposed to a complete bolt?

If there is enough sticking out...get some grips on there and unscrew it, other option is use a dremmel to cut a slot it whats sticking out, then use an impact driver with a flat bit.

With the ideas above use WD40 or a professional pentrating fluid.

IF on the other hand, there is not enough sticking out, you will have to drill them and use stud extractors...my own personal experience I've found stud extractors to be a massive pain in the ass...and instead drilled it and tapped it with a left handed thread, wound a left threaded bolt in there and as I tighten it the broken stud gets wound out.

If you need any more help, take some piccies and put them on here or fire em to me in an email :)

flyingosca
31-07-07, 04:19 PM
Hi Furry-TLR, glad you are out there!

No, it was a complete bolt, went through the collar that held the pipe in place direct into the engine. Bolts have a 10mm head and are about 30mm long. I gave em all a soaking in WD40 yesterday morning, then after work gave em all a loving tap with a hammer to persuade them to come out. The first 5 were sweet as a nut, straight out. The last 3 decided to snap.

If I cut the downpipes near to the collar I suppose I could turn the collar off of what is left of the bolt then use grips to get it out. I can't use the old ones again anyway.

I'll try to drill em out first and if I have no luck I'll get some piccies on here.

It will be fine by next summer!

Cheers!

furry-TLR
31-07-07, 04:41 PM
Sure no probs, just take it nice and easy when drilling you don't want to catch the aluminium threads :)
(I've done that before and felt a complete d**k LOL)

I take it what's left of the bolt is still holding the exhaust collers on?

Kevinb
31-07-07, 05:14 PM
As the sun is shining take it into a shop with a wad of notes, get them to do it whilst you are sat in a beer garden with a nice pint

Cheers

Kev

furry-TLR
31-07-07, 05:34 PM
What's the point of being into bikes if your not hands on?

It's a custom project he's brought off of someone else, nothing feels better than putting a bike together yourself...makes riding it that much more special.

From memory exhaust bolts are an M8...so use a small 3mm drill bit, then insert a flat screwdriver into the hole, might find just that bites enough to get the stud out...if that don't work let me know.

flyingosca
31-07-07, 06:04 PM
Cheers guys I'll give it a go. The beer garden idea is good but I'm gonna get my baby sorted myself as best I can.

gravelrash
31-07-07, 06:39 PM
If you have enough of the bar left what about running a die down it and then lock 2 nuts together onto it. Worth a try before drilling.

Ade

FJ_Biker
31-07-07, 07:49 PM
This happened to me several years ago and I took the beer garden option, I removed the engine and took it to a machine shop, I used Zebedee’s in Calne. http://www.zebeng.co.uk/ a week later the engine comes back and I never lost my temper crawling round on my hands and knees removing the said stud lol!!!!!!

furry-TLR
31-07-07, 08:48 PM
That's pretty much what I was suggesting above Ade m8...last time I had to do it I drilled it to 3mm...tapped it to M4 left hand threaded, then wound a M4 left hand threaded bolt in there and out she comes :)

Took me a a day or so to get hold of the left handed threaded stuff mind you though.

Good to see you and the bike the other week m8...hope now the sun is out you get a chance to use her a bit more, enjoy :D

igbell
31-07-07, 09:21 PM
This also happened to my when I was building my kit car, so I went and bought some stud extractors.
This saved a lot of time and hassle, but any of the above options should work as well.

flyingosca
01-08-07, 03:54 PM
Hi everybody and thanks for your tips and suggestions. I've not been able to get out for any bits yet but will try to drill the broken bolt out enough to whack a flat screwdriver into the hole, and try to turn it out I don't think there can be much holding the collar on and as soon as that is gone I'll be able to get grips on what is left of the bolt and turn it out. Then do the same on the other two.

I'm going to replace all 4 downpipes and the collector. found them on ebay at £209.99 plus del. does that sound about right?

Update soon!

flyingosca
22-02-08, 07:32 PM
Hi everyone - its been a while. Update on trike. With a lot of help I have now got the trike 99% sorted. I just have a couple of small jobs to do one her then it'll be MOT time and ready for the summer!

Thanks again to everyone for all the tips and help you have suggested for my problems. Hope to see you out there!

Amante_271
22-02-08, 08:32 PM
Hey!! Excellent news!! We will be wanting copious ammounts of piccys!!! :) :) 8-) 8-) :) :)

FJ_Biker
22-02-08, 09:31 PM
Hello flyingosca glad to hear you are getting on well with the trike, looking forward to some more pictures

flyingosca
03-04-08, 08:16 AM
Hi everyone. Update on my trike, she went in for the test last Saturday and only failed because I'd forgotten (didn't know) to fit reflectors on the rear of the mudguards and one of the tyres was slightly worn.
I think the tester was being picky but was happy he couldn't find anything else wrong with my baby.
The tyres are already sorted. The reflectors have arrived from eBay (where else) so I'm ready for the re test. Earliest I could get is the 12th so I'll be on the road on the 13th!
Thank you all again for your tips and suggestions as I've battled to get my baby well again.
Major thanks to JB in Melksham for your invaluable help. You are a star.
I'll post some pics when I get a minute.
Cheers

FJ_Biker
03-04-08, 03:52 PM
Hope all goes well with your next MOT

flyingosca
03-04-08, 09:13 PM
Hi all.
Took the trike for the class III on sat, failed cos I forgot the reflectors and one rear tyre was 'slightly' worn (picky). Anyway, tyres are sorted, reflectors have arrived from eBay (where else?) and the trike is re-booked for the test on 12 April. Should be fine. I want to say thanks to all of you out there who have offered help & tips. Its been a long road.
Special thanks to JB of Melksham who is a superstar and helped me out a lot. Thanks John!
I'll clean my baby up after the test and get some new piccies on here soon.
Cheers!!

sburv
18-04-08, 07:59 PM
Did it pass ok in the end..?

Hunar
07-05-08, 02:48 PM
and wheres teh damned piccies! ;D

Amante_271
07-05-08, 03:09 PM
Still having problems with your nuts mate?? Or just the camera???

Hunar
19-05-08, 02:50 PM
*starts the chant*

WE WANT PICS, WE WANT PICS, WE WANT PICS

Amante_271
20-05-08, 07:09 PM
WE WANT PICS, WE WANT PICS, WE WANT PICS!

igbell
22-05-08, 09:23 AM
we want pics of women...opps sorry
WE WANT PICS, WE WANT PICS, WE WANT PICS!

flyingosca
25-07-08, 07:53 AM
Hi guys,
See my latest post, I now have to go thru the MSVA test with my trike andhave to have an immobiliser fitted.
I (stupid) didn't notice the trike was still registered as a bike.
Its gone thru the mot so I'm nearlly there!
Cheers!

flyingosca
25-07-08, 07:54 AM
I WILL get pics on here soon - I PROMISE!!!!

FJ_Biker
25-07-08, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the update, we are all waiting for the pictures ;)

Amante_271
26-07-08, 08:16 AM
Why not pop down to the Sally and we can all have a look? You might need to bring a cloth tho ... Hunar tends to drool a bit! (Especially if he hasnt had his burger like last week!!) ;D

flyingosca
28-07-08, 11:25 AM
Update: I spoke to VOSA again this morning and got a sensible bloke on the line. Now I only need an isolator switch on the battery so that's more like it.
I'm planning on getting some pics taken this evening if it ain't raining. Will have em posted here asap.
I'm new guys - Sally?
Cheers!

Larry

wingrider
28-07-08, 05:33 PM
The Salutation inn, the Gibb, near Castle Combe every Thursday. :)

FJ_Biker
30-07-08, 07:21 PM
Flyingosca wrote

I only need an isolator switch on the battery so that's more like it.

That makes sense now I thought the alarm was bizarre.

FJ_Biker
14-10-08, 09:52 PM
Now amante has a trike please keep us updated