PDA

View Full Version : white metal bearings

6T
26-10-08, 03:12 PM
i know its probably a long shot but does anybody know of a local engineering company thats able to cast white metal bearings,iam rebuilding a 52 tbird engine the crank journals are good but the big ends need replacing

BB
26-10-08, 06:23 PM
Does no one supply them anymore? :-? Have you checked out the ads in OBM? I can always make enquiries for you with some of the Bath Classic boys if you want.

BB

6T
26-10-08, 07:19 PM
thanks for your reply BB.on the older engines the white metal was direct cast into the big ends unlike the later engines that used bearing shells which are available,it may be possible to have the old con rods machined to accept modern type shell bearings or have them recast in white metal.if you could ask people at bath classic that would be great.cheers steve :)

BB
27-10-08, 07:06 PM
Well the consensus seems to be that most people fit later rods & shells. Haven’t managed to find anyone who’s knows of any engineering firms willing or able to cast white metal so far.

I still have a couple of contacts to catch up with tho’

BB

6T
28-10-08, 03:13 PM
thanks BB. i have found a company in hampshire that can cast the bearings but it is expensive about £300, :o bearing shells are only about £16 but as has been suggested i will have to change the rods for shell type, i was intending to do this originaly as i have a spare pair but unfortunatly the crank on the early tbirds is the small journal the same as the speedtwin and the rods i have are the later large journal, :( i have made some enquiries for some new rods but have yet to here back. hurleys the engineers in bath have been very helpfull and have asked me to take the crank and rods down to them to see if they can do anything for me. cheers steve :)

jonnydangerous
28-10-08, 05:46 PM
is that the cost to scrape them as well?????........seems a lot of money if it isnt....hope you find a suitable rod for the motor.

6T
28-10-08, 06:01 PM
is that the cost to scrape them as well?????........seems a lot of money if it isnt....hope you find a suitable rod for the motor.
that is the price to cast the white metal then the rods are line bored to fit the crank, so there not scraped to fit as was done years ago by your garage mechanic.cheers steve :)

BB
28-10-08, 08:27 PM
Hmm, presumably the smaller journal sized rods are hard to get hold of or expensive too? I'll try & make a couple of calls later tonight.

You out & about tomorrow? May be some Bath Classic boys over at the Longs Arms South Wraxall tomorrow (Wed) night or a lot more of them at the Dog & Fox Bradford on Avon on the 1st Wednesday if you are interested.

BB

6T
29-10-08, 04:25 PM
BB i have just been informed that triumph never did the early con rods with detactchable shell bearings but Hughie Hancox did do convertions of the early rods to bearing shells so it is possible have the old rods machined,a common upgrade was to change the rods and crank to the later large journal type though.Unfortunately i am working nights this week so cant do the longs arms tonight, but will be able to make the Dog and Fox next week what time do they meet. cheers steve :)

BB
29-10-08, 08:50 PM
I don't think I'm going to make the Longs tonight either!
Dog & Fox meet is 8pm onwards. Me & Ghost (alias Judy & Don) will be out there. Usually a good turn out of ppl, bikes - depends on the weather but usually some old rubbish up there! ;D

BB

6T
30-10-08, 05:23 PM
BB hopefully see you both next week at the dog and fox,may have to take the car myself the lights on the old triumph can be a bit unpredictable not good in the dark riding a black bike wearing black gear,could buy myself a nice powerfull torch though ;D would be interested in joining the club,aswell as the 57 tbird i ride at the moment i am rebuilding a 52 ridged tbird which i intend to build to spec unlike the 57,also have an early fifties bsa zb31 rigid which i got running this year its been off the road probably 40years.cheers steve :)

BB
30-10-08, 09:44 PM
With that selection you will fit right in... half build bike, off the road many years bike...oh yes - and something on the road!

I'll bring along a membership form & out last newsletter for you - only cost a £5 - apologies Dabz for touting for BCMCC membership on here!

BB

alanTDM
31-10-08, 12:05 AM
Give this guy a ring he has been around since the late 60's early 70's does classic and modern bikes he defo knows his stuff if any one can help you he should be able to ,he use to do all the rebores etc for Charlie's Brit bike dealer in Fishponds Road,Bristol

Piston Broke Engineering
Unit 13/15 Felix Road
Easton Business Centre
Bristol
BS5 0HE
Avon

Tel: 0117 941 2300
Fax: 0117 9415899

6T
31-10-08, 01:44 PM
thanks alanTDM for that info,the parts are with hurleys in bath at the moment waiting to hear if they can do anything,piston broke sound like a better bet though.cheers steve :)

alanTDM
31-10-08, 05:28 PM
thanks alanTDM for that info,the parts are with hurleys in bath at the moment waiting to hear if they can do anything,piston broke sound like a better bet though.cheers steve :)
Piston Broke are only Motorcycle engineers nowt else
Steve Riley is the guys name if you have to phone and take it there to be done.He has a comp database with shed loads of info on it for bikes classic and modern, no harm in ringing him.
good luck!!

6T
06-11-08, 12:11 PM
Piston Broke are only Motorcycle engineers nowt else
Steve Riley is the guys name if you have to phone and take it there to be done.He has a comp database with shed loads of info on it for bikes classic and modern, no harm in ringing him.
good luck!! thanks alan,rang piston broke and they gave me a contact in bristol that can white metal the old rods at £65 a rod which sounds good to me.Cheers Steve :)

BB
02-12-08, 08:36 PM
Good to hear you have got it sorted. Let me know the result - we can always give the 'good guys' a plug [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

6T
02-12-08, 10:55 PM
actually BB i didnt use the guys in bristol in the end, i check ebay most days and just before i was going to take the parts down to bristol a box full of old white metal conrods were listed which i won for £10+postage, 8 of the 12 rods that came were triumph so i have managed to get it sorted :)

BB
03-12-08, 04:22 PM
Result! Fleabay does turn up trumps/Triumphs sometimes. A tad cheaper too. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Maybe see you at the Dog & Fox tonight?

BB

6T
03-12-08, 10:41 PM
you can sometimes pick up a bargain on ebay although if it is a rare or hard to find part you normally end up paying if you want it, as there is a lot of armchair autojumblers out their ;D BB i was working till late today so couldnt make the dog&fox but look forward to meeting you all at the imber run. cheers steve :)

BB
04-12-08, 12:24 AM
Ah yes, Imber is 28th not 30th as maybe shown on the back of your newsletter.

BB