PDA

View Full Version : Forks Oil

igbell
13-10-08, 05:23 PM
Hello All

I was wondering, when would most of you change your Fork Oil and the rear suspension system??

As mine is still sat on the original set from 1999.

Amante_271
13-10-08, 06:34 PM
Just before it fails preferably!

Best to check the recommended time scales in the owners / Haynes manual as they err on safety side rather than risking any problems

jj
13-10-08, 09:59 PM
fork oil needs changing every 3 to 4 years or 30000 miles rear shock would probably need rebuilding about the same time,if u get it done it will be like riding a new bike

FJ_Biker
13-10-08, 10:25 PM
That oil is going to stink big time (old fork oil some of the smelliest stuff around)

I changed mine last November when I replaced the fork seals

igbell
17-10-08, 04:40 PM
FJ....How easy is it do??
Also along with oil and seals shallI get new springs as well??

With the rear, is it easier to replace the rear or get the rear refurbished??

Kevinb
17-10-08, 05:07 PM
Igbell

Find a dealer to take it to, go to the pub (drink coke & play pool), pick up bike and hand over wad of money.
Job done.

Cheers

Kev

Amante_271
18-10-08, 08:20 AM
Iggy! I think Kev has by far the best solution to the problem, I did front fork oil & seals once as a seal was leaking & I never want to play that game again!

Ok, so its not the cheapest option... have you seen the price of coke, let alone a game of pool(!)... BUT at least if you take it too a dealer they have all the right kit & experience so (in theory!) they wont thingy (male chicken) it up & its about safety as much as performance!! You know it makes sence!! :)

jj
18-10-08, 09:09 AM
i would replace the rear with a aftermarket unit which would be cheaper and higher quality than standard jap units, as for fork rebuild not as difficult as it seems but if u break something can work out expensive

FJ_Biker
18-10-08, 11:11 AM
If you have the funds and trust your local garage/dealer Kev’s idea is the best

Igbell wrote

FJ....How easy is it do??

If your fork seals are not leaking don’t bother replacing them, if the are leaking I would replace the covers as well as the seals for the sake of an extra few quid

Personally I do not find the job that bad, read the manual and make sure you have the right tools (and a good vice) my forks have some strange size allen keys and sockets.

If your forks are not bottoming out I would not bother replacing the springs unless you want to improve the handling, then put some progressive springs in.

It’s jobs like these that make centre stands worth there weight in gold (or am I just sounding like a grumpy old man)

igbell
18-10-08, 06:41 PM
Cool all, thanx for your advice, I will look into the job, and also how much it will cost to get it done.

furry-TLR
30-11-08, 08:55 PM
Most fork oil needs changing between 20-30k miles...a good indicator on when to do this is when you can see the seals are leaking...more obvious on USD's than normal forks.

For most forks, age doesn't make any difference in my experience...best to get the correct manual for the bike and confirm if there are any yearly intervals for doing them.

PS: Make sure you change the bushes when changing the seals...as it's usually play in the bushes that causes the seals to fail in the first place...for example genuine set of bushes and seals for a GSXR K series is around £65 for a set of forks.

As for the rear shock...if it's like a pogo stick...replace it...but pref with an aftermarket one (Ohlins/WP/Maxton) and the bike will be transformed.

MH Racing in Corsham is the best person to see about it all...used him to do my shocks over several years now and he's always spot on :)

igbell
01-12-08, 10:11 AM
Thanx Furry will give him a shout

RE03
05-12-08, 07:03 PM
http://www.whitecrossmotorcycles.co.uk/index.html

Ace man is Bill. Friendly and informative....... and close (West Harptree) ;)

£110 for GSXR 750 fork service/setup

I is very 'appy ;D