PDA

View Full Version : Front Mud Guard

igbell
01-08-07, 04:05 PM
Hello Ladies and Gents

Since a while ago when I broke down becuase of the Reg/Rec going on my vfr800 and I was taken home by a flat bed I have had a craked front mud guard due to the plonker that strapped my bike down strapped it via the front wheel. >:( >:(

I did not notice this for a while and so I could not then go back to them and get them to replace the guard. :(

At the weekend while bevering away on the bike cleaning and polishing it I have noticed that now the guard is wobberling like a weeble.
Does anybody know of a good way to hold the guard together until I can get the cash to buy a new one (which might be a little while due to Baby Josh taking all of my spare cash (David Silver Spares £68 + p&p)). :-? :-?

I will try and take some photos to show you what has happend so you can make some better advice. :)

gravelrash
01-08-07, 05:32 PM
You could totally bodge it by drilling holes on each side of the split and 'lacing' with cable ties. A lot neater would be to super glue it. A better and more permanent solution ( and cheaper) is to trawl ebay for plastex. Used it to rebuild a zzr fairing which resembled a jigsaw.

Ade

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Plastex-Plastic-Fairing-Repair-Standard-Plus-Kit_W0QQitemZ290144604368QQihZ019QQcategoryZ25632Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

igbell
01-08-07, 08:29 PM
This is the crack on the front mud guard, as you can sort of see it is a bit of a crack. :(

furry-TLR
01-08-07, 09:45 PM
I'm with Ade on this one...though if you are intent on changing it....use epoxy to keep it together till you get the new one...Ardilite 2 part from any DIY store will sort it.

Kevinb
02-08-07, 08:43 AM
Plastex kits are available from G M Stevens, Canal Rd, Trowbridge.
I used some to bodge indicator lugs on a GPZ1000

Cheers

Kev

igbell
02-08-07, 09:02 AM
Thanx guys, I will try and get some and fix the old girl up.

igbell
06-08-07, 09:10 AM
Thanx for your help guys, I used a two pack glue at the weekend just to hold the mud guard togerhter until I can get the cash to buy a new one.
I have made a little mess on the top but I can live with that as long as the mud guard does not cuase me to fall off I am happy with that. :)
Also I have noticed that when I took the guard off that it had been glued before right down in the corner by the bolts. >:(

FJ_Biker
08-10-07, 03:44 PM
Is the repair still holding?

igbell
08-10-07, 07:10 PM
Yes it is holding fast and I have been using every day since the repair.
I have been using it to go up and down to Windsor, I went to Harrogate and Horsham on her and it is still holding fast.

Rich86
21-12-08, 01:10 AM
lol, i found a great deal of black duck tape, and a artistic hand can hold most things fast when you need a quick fix lol' 8-)

igbell
22-12-08, 11:18 AM
Chears Rich, but I trying to get away with the mud guard still looking a bit like norm..... ;) ;)

Carbonkid
23-12-08, 01:24 AM
I've used a soldering iron and a plastic coat hanger in the past on my inner top fairing. I took the fairing off and repaired it from the inside with a typical welding technique. Worked a treat... ;)

BB
23-12-08, 08:39 AM
I've used a soldering iron and a plastic coat hanger in the past on my inner top fairing. I took the fairing off and repaired it from the inside with a typical welding technique. Worked a treat... ;)

Interesting. :o Do you have to be careful who's coathanger you use? Johnson's? M&S? Tsco's :-?

BB

igbell
23-12-08, 09:45 AM
Mmm think I might miss that one, the old man has some tape that they used to use on areoplanes when they couldnt do a major fix before it was to go back out again and this could hold a wing together. I will slap some of this on the inside and then just do with the crack on the out side.

Carbonkid
25-12-08, 12:30 AM
'SPEED TAPE'

Yes its good stuff and still used in an emergancy as a temporary skin repair (bird stikes and minor battle damage etc...) And my bike :-X

If you need some Igbell give us a shout (It doesn't cost me a penny) ;)

igbell
27-12-08, 06:23 PM
Sweet might have to take you up on the offer if dad cant get to his as his garage is full of the contets from my bros house at the mo ;D ;D