PDA

View Full Version : FZR 400 Throttle Problems

Rich86
17-12-08, 09:29 PM
Hello everyone, it has been a long time since i've used the site, to recap im a 22 yr old guy living in trow, i ride a kawasaki eliminator and a FZR 400, i've only recently passed my direct access, and i have since had problems with my FZR throttle cable.

When i pull back the throttle now, the cable draws into the tank and my acceleration dies down to nothing, the only way to get the acceleration back seems to be to pull on the cable releasing it from the tank again, it seems as if it doesn't wind back when released. Does anyone have any ideas on what the issue could be?

Kind regards Rich'

Davey
18-12-08, 09:43 AM
Change the throttle cable it could have a frey in it preventing it from coming back - this happened on my gixer - easy fix though and not too expensive. Otherwise look at where the cable joins the engine and see if the spring is ok on the throttle body and give a good lubing

BB
18-12-08, 07:53 PM
Could be it's catching on something or maybe taking bit of a tight turn somewhere. Check along it's length to make sure it is in good condition and it has a free run and is moving freely along its route.

BB

Rich86
19-12-08, 05:20 PM
thanks guys, i have Martin Ashy in marlborough looking at it when hes next free. I dare not take it apart myself for the fear of causing more damage :) I've ordered a replacement throttle body and cable from some1 breaking a similar bike, a FZR250, so heres hoping the parts are compatible.

The bike is pretty up together other then that, the only other thing i've noticed, is i left her uncovered a few days recently, and the inside of my exhaust has some nasty surface rust, hopefully its not more then that, otherwise i might be replacing the can to.

Rich86
31-12-08, 03:50 PM
Ended up costing me about 80 quid to rectify all, he had to fabricate the throttle cable from new as its a import, and also the fuel tank had certain issues where the previous owner had pierced it, and badly patched it up' the sort of thing u don't want to find after sale'

BB
03-01-09, 11:33 PM
Good to hear you finally got it sorted [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

Rich86
04-01-09, 06:15 PM
cheers, shes running just fine now, not a overly great amount of funny gettin caught out in our current weather though, my visor was actually frosting up in the early hours of this morning (we're talking like 2am) not great for visibility' :o

FJ_Biker
04-01-09, 08:44 PM
Gad you are back up and running, frosting visors are not nice especially when the inside frosts and you can’t wipe it off

Rich86
06-01-09, 06:22 PM
lol thats what was happening'