PDA

View Full Version : Throttle

jack930
14-01-09, 02:08 PM
Hi
Ive just changed both the throttle cable's on my zx6r F ,and now found its slightly sticking open and doesnt shut off that quik, the spring on the body is ok .and tryed wd40 under the grip and down the piping of the cable's,but still the same .

Im wondering if it might be within the switch gear on the handle bar where the cables conect?

had it stripd and it looks ok ,even pulld the cable while not connected and the spring pulls the off cable no problem,

any ideas ??

or am i looking at a new switch gear and throttle housing
if so any one of where i can get one cheepish

6T
14-01-09, 04:17 PM
Jack was it doing it before you changed the cables?maybe worth checking the routing of the cables,maybe pinched somewhere causing a tight spot,also if you think it maybe in the twistgrip housing try loosening it a bit and see if the throttle snaps back at least this will show you if the fault lies there.hope this helps.steve :)

jack930
14-01-09, 05:20 PM
will have to strip it again and check it over,

Scotty
14-01-09, 10:23 PM
Does it have a return cable or just a single one? If two cables, ensure that the return cable is loose, it doesn't need to be anything like as tight as the pull cable and if it's too tight it'll cause a lot of drag. Otherwise, as Thunderbird said, check all the routing carefully and ensure there are no tight bends or pinch spots - with hindsight, tying a piece of string to one end of the old one and pulling the new one through with it might have helped ::)

jack930
15-01-09, 12:30 AM
yeh its loose,it comes compleat ,their was no need to thred the new 1
had the cables out of the throttle housing befor connecting them and putting the switch gear back together and they seemd ok,

i think it might be the twist grip at the end where the cable connects,as the return cable has to pass all the way over it from the bottom,so it may be catching in their or the cable may not be sat right on it ,

think the only option i have is to strip it again and see if it works out of the twist grip ,then try and find a second hand one ,

its just a cow to get back together >:(

if any one knows of a place i can get said item :-?

pilninggas
03-02-09, 09:03 PM
is it a pattern cable? sometimes these are not the exact same size 'nipple-to-nipple' and can lead to binding. worth laying them side by side and comparing.

i had this problem with an rd350, and some pattern throttle cables years ago, they were just not a good fitment.

edit - iv just noticed this thread is 2.5 weeks old, oops!

ONFIRE
04-02-09, 09:10 PM
Ok this is how it should be done..Apparently.

Unscrew the Bar-end weight & twist throttle grip to check if its catching, the solution might be to just move the twist grip assembly along a tad.

Dismantle the twist grip assembly, take few pic's as you go along. With the Bar-end removed pull the twist grip housing off & the unattached housing you should be able to slide the twist grip completely off the clip on. Give it a good clean & the inside of the twist grip (usually quite manky inside) Be careful Not to get lubricating spray i.e. WD 40 between the actual Grip & Twist Grip. Put a thin layer of 3 n 1 oil on the clip on bar & reassemble not forgetting to lube the cabes.

Hope that is of help a cut down abstract from SuperBike. 8-)

jack930
04-02-09, 11:30 PM
cheers will give it ago :)

ONFIRE
06-02-09, 10:58 PM
Will be good to hear how you got on, whatever the final resolution maybe 8-)