PDA

View Full Version : Noise from clutch on 2007 R1

pip1965
12-12-08, 05:54 PM
Can anyone tell me what this is, it only makes this noise when i pull the clutch in.
The issue is, I have just got the bike back after an accident and the mechanical sound from the clutch area was not there prior so it will be going back.
Any ideas?

http://www.ormerod.david.btinternet.co.uk/r1/r1.mpg

6T
12-12-08, 08:25 PM
daveO cant get your link to come up,just says web page not available

hotdog
12-12-08, 11:09 PM
Link worked fine for me. In a 'normal' clutch I would say it's the thrust bearing as it only happens when you have the clutch disengaged (lever in) from what I could see. Not sure though if an R1 clutch would have a thrust bearing as such but it's definitely something in that area. In any event, it certainly isn't right lol.

pip1965
13-12-08, 10:41 AM
Try this

http://www.ormerod.david.btinternet.co.uk/motorbike.htm

file is a bit smaller.

6T
13-12-08, 12:04 PM
daveO it worked for a little while then internet explorer stopped working,maybe something wrong with my computer as burger didnt have a problem,but what i did hear didnt sound right(rubbing clicking sound?)would suggest somethings adrift within the clutch,was the clutch housing damaged in the accident?would certainly take it back if they have done some repairs in this area.

Davey
13-12-08, 07:02 PM
That doesn't sound right! I had a similar problem on one of my bikes and turned out to be the bolt holding the spring in worked loose - it did cause some damage to the inside of the casing but not too much. Could also be damage to the clutch basket - I would just it checked asap to prevent any further damage

pip1965
13-12-08, 09:33 PM
Its going back to 4th dimension who do the repairs for Bennetts.
It has taken then 54 days to return the bike.
I think the clutch housing area was the point of impact when the car reversed into my parked bike.
All runs OK and looks 100% new again but with this clicking/ticking.
Dont fancy it failing at speed
'Tomorrows cancelled'
should get it back by march lol

FJ_Biker
15-12-08, 09:04 PM
It has taken then 54 days to return the bike

Thanks for the info I don’t think I will use Bennetts, that’s a crap service.

Hope you don’t have to wait to long this time, will they provide you with a hire bike to save you buying a stand in machine?

V-TWIN
06-01-09, 09:35 AM
sounds very similar to what mine does, i have 2000miles on the clock. Spoke to george whites about it as well as R1 forums and apparantly its a common sound with slipper clutches. Not sure mine is as loud as that tho and doesnt always do it
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248092
Also there are other posts on there regarding this if your worried

ONFIRE
06-01-09, 01:23 PM
Never noticed any clutch noise on my 2007 R1 I had. Worth getting checked out though.

Scotty
13-01-09, 09:54 PM
The clutch is a bit of a weak point on the R1 post 2004 - I'm with Phase One Endurance and we found that out the hard way so in the end we "lifed" the clutch and the gearbox at 24 hours, too risky to try and use them after that - unlike the Gixxer thous we used from 2001-2003 which were virtually bulletproof. I dare say that your 07 bike won't have had quite such a hard life but if you want any advice on the engines drop me a PM and I'll put you in touch with Russell, the team manager, who knows them absolutely inside out.
Hope you get it sorted...

Mar1k
17-02-09, 12:21 PM
i have the same bike never heard the clutch, loud exhausts will get rid of the noise...lol