PDA

View Full Version : Tank dent removal - help please

kes2463
22-03-09, 11:37 PM
Hi folks,

those of you who looked at my bike pic & have great sight, you may of spotted a dent in the tank where the knee would be for a very tall person. Unfortuneatly there is a matching one on the other side :(. God knows what he was doing to inflict that type of damage but we can only guess. As you might gather, I inherited the dents when I bought the bike (honest I did).

I seem to recall that years ago people used to use bent rods with felt covered mushroom heads (not literal) at one end to push tank dents out from the inside via the filler cap but in the 16 months I've owned the bike all I get is fill them in & respray. The graphics are $95 for the tank & $150 for a complete set from CBDecals.com [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Great site by the way just a bit pricey with the current exchange rate. Resprays I'm being quoted at £140 to £235.

All I want is to have a tank minus dents, can anyone help / advise? I can't really afford the £250 to£400 I'm being quoted :-[. Wife & kid make sure of that in these times.

Cheers

Kes ;)

R1chie
22-03-09, 11:40 PM
How bad are the dents?

kes2463
22-03-09, 11:45 PM
About the space of my fist & about 1-2" going in. Starting at the back letter of the metal Honda badge.

Ryan
22-03-09, 11:50 PM
Search dent removel on youtube, theres some pretty funky ways people show on there.

kes2463
22-03-09, 11:55 PM
Am worried about popping out with compressed air incase it damages the seals (she is 27 this month you know) & suction cups don't seem to be available much more + I question if that would work.

steveo
23-03-09, 11:38 PM
i have same prob, will have to look around [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

schwee
24-03-09, 11:08 AM
A new tank would be better?

kes2463
24-03-09, 03:42 PM
very true Schwee, but tracking one down for it is a problem. Checked David Silver spares who claim to have access to the Honda Europe/USA & Jap sites as well as their US & Dutch equivalents without any success. Had found one last year where I got the side panels but it was worst than mine.

xl1000va6
02-04-09, 09:48 PM
Hot glue, plastic puller and a strong arm. If you don't want to do it yourself, go to yellow pages and find any of the hundreds of 'paint free dent removal' chaps. They'll come round in their van, with hot glue, a plastic puller and..... you get the idea