PDA

View Full Version : FZR 400 Clutch problem

Rich86
27-03-09, 03:56 AM
Hi guys' long time no speak to alot of you (besides Kev) - I have a issue which i would appreciate any help with.

The other week i was coming up the devizes dual carriageway, reached for my clutch and nothing, completely slack except for a tiny bit of play as the lever was completely pulled back to the handlebar. managed to get into work, but upon attempting to adjust and what not, the bike now won't engage and disengage clutch.

Im not sure if its my cable that has gone, or if its a more serious clutch problem. I have bought a new cable. me and my mate have had parts of the fairing off and as much of the bike apart as possible, but i am getting no joy. and need a helping hand x

:-[

Scotty
27-03-09, 05:55 PM
Where's the clutch actuator on these? - is it on the clutch cover (check that the cable is still engaged in the arm) or on the left side beneath the front sprocket cover (check sprocket cover still done up tightly, if it is, then remove it to see what's happenng underneath - there should be an adjuster on the end of the pushrod, ensure the locknut hasn't slackened off) Good luck :)

Rich86
28-03-09, 09:49 AM
its on the left scotty' thanks for the tip' i will try and get under that cover, its on pretty dam tight, may need to borrow a power tool or something to get the torque into the hex piece in order to remove the blighter'- Im hoping its nothing major, but i heard nothing go in any of the mechanisms when it happened, the clutch just stopped working'

Rich86
03-04-09, 11:17 AM
Well its the worse case scenario - me and a friend managed to get into the sprocket cover covering the clutch actuator, and everything seemed in tact until we found a peice of metal that feeds through this towards the clutch and its sheered off' :( Not sure if this is something that can be repaired' and if so, at a worthwhile cost as this is a 1987 FZR'?

any advice appreciated guys'?

Scotty
03-04-09, 07:45 PM
Hmmm... something sheared off you say? Is it a length of steel rod about 5mm in diameter? That could be part of the pushrod, and you could well be able to buy another (probably an FZR600 item) If it is the pushrod I'd be rather worried about how it came to be sheared off - is your chain tensioned correctly? :o
Problem is, it's difficult to diagnose from text alone, a couple of photos would greatly help... :-/

6T
04-04-09, 09:21 AM
if it is the clutch pushrod that has snapped off as scotty says you need to find the reason why,if your unable to get a relacement but you know what the original length should be it may be worth going along to an engineering shop see if they can make one up.best of luck

Rich86
06-04-09, 09:27 PM
cheers guys, yeah i think it is the pushrod, its literally a 1 and a half inch peice of it that has sheered off, and i think it could have been my chain that caused the damage as the tension on my chain is slacker then it should be, i've seen a fzr600 pushrod on ebay that could be of use, but would it be difficult to fit this?

Scotty
07-04-09, 10:49 PM
Fitting a pushrod should be easy enough, though retrieving the remainder of the original could be challenging... :-/ From the bendix-type actuator on the sprocket cover the pushrod runs directly through the gearbox mainshaft to the back of the clutch basket. If you can clean everything up around the sprocket cover area (dig all the old chain goo out with a flat-blade screwdriver, then clean it all up with petrol and a paintbrush - really yukky job :( ) then have a look to see what's left of the original pushrod - if there's a stub left proud of the oil seal you can probably grip it and withdraw it using a pair of fine-nosed pliers - just pull it out - simple! :) If it's been sheared off flush with the seal you might be able to pull it back out a bit with a magnet. If not, you'll need to remove the clutch cover (that's the big one on the right side of the engine, best get yourself a new gasket whilst you're at it) and remove the pressure plate from the front of the clutch - simply remove the five or six bolts that are in the centre of the clutch and it'll lift off - then push the pushrod back out towards the chain side.... adjust your chain before you finish as well!

Tell you what - before you start any more of this - BUY A MANUAL!

Rich86
08-04-09, 01:59 AM
Lol that sounds like some good sound advice, i actually downloaded a manual for this bike as i couldn't seem to get a paper based one' - Im glad i have the benefit of what you seem to know about the assembly of these bikes scotty' so thankyou for your advice thus far' hopefully i can use some pliers to pull it free, but my luck denotes it will probably be the alternative'