PDA

View Full Version : a law issue

Ryan
26-01-09, 09:28 PM
Just wondering... is it legal to ride with headphones in? i assume 1 ear in is as people ride with radios or pillion radios, is it legal to have headphones in both ears? Any help much welcomed :D

hotdog
26-01-09, 10:11 PM
Specifically, yes, it's legal to have earphones in both ears, or rather there isn't a law saying you can't. However, if you caused an accident and it was proved to be because you couldn't hear, or were listenning to music so loud it distracted you, then you might be liable to be prosecuted for driving with undue care and attention. Just as you would be in the same situation with your car stereo too loud. So, used sensibly, it's perfectly OK and perfectly legal.

Regards,

Ryan
26-01-09, 10:17 PM
Thankyou for clearing that one up for me burger :)

crewy
27-01-09, 04:27 AM
Ha ha, i used to do this quite a bit when i rode to work in bristol on my little RS50 ;D

Kevinb
27-01-09, 10:04 AM
Who needs music, fit a better exhaust system, that's the best music in the world

igbell
27-01-09, 10:16 AM
When I used to ride ti Didcot to work I used to plug my creative MP3 player in the com unit that I bought and installed for my wife and I to chat between the two of us, this way I didnt have the ear pieces in the ear and I could still hear the road and what people said to me.

6T
27-01-09, 10:32 AM
found this link Ryan,http://www.safermotoring.co.uk/using-ipod-while-driving.html

Dabz
27-01-09, 11:06 AM
I tried using my ipod a couple months ago but found the earplugs fell out or moved into an uncomfortable position when i put the helmet on, so gave up and just wear normal earplugs :P

ONFIRE
27-01-09, 12:33 PM
I Scare myself stupid by Singing to myself :D :D :D ;D

igbell
27-01-09, 02:38 PM
Thats very good info Thunderbird, good job my old MP3 player only plays music and has not pics or internet access or anything bar music on it then, so this makes it allowed but I am still at risk if I crash in being donr for Due Care and Attention, I will have to make sure that if I do use it that I am not in a crash then.

crewy
27-01-09, 04:02 PM
I just end up have random chats to my self!!! :) :o :( :-? ::)

Trevena
27-01-09, 05:31 PM
I just end up have random chats to my self!!! :) :o :( :-? ::) or screaming inside my helmet at numpty cagers.

Ryan
27-01-09, 06:51 PM
Thanks for that thunderbird, least this issue is clear now :) its okay to do but god help anyone that crashes while doing it :|

6T
27-01-09, 07:41 PM
Thanks for that thunderbird, least this issue is clear now :) its okay to do but god help anyone that crashes while doing it :| is a bit of a grey area,personally i prefer to hear the bike, being an old british bike things tend to fall off now again,wouldnt be any good me listening to music i wouldnt know when to stop and pick the parts up ;D ;D

crewy
27-01-09, 09:41 PM
Or you wouldn't know when to stop when you have drenched your son in the contents of your oil sump!!! ;D :D

Ryan
27-01-09, 10:00 PM
here goes crewy again changing the topic well off the issue ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

schwee
11-02-09, 11:54 PM
If I'm on a long journey then I tend to listen to music. I rode to Oulton and back and was thankful for the music as company. I used thos earphones that 'plug' into your ears like ear plugs, so weren;t affected by the wind at all.

I could also hear a lot of what was going on around me, and tucked the ipod into my tank bag so I could quickly press the 'NEXT' button when something came on that was too slow ;D

nomis17
15-04-09, 03:41 PM
I have a scala q2 which has a built in radio function and plays any bluetooth connected system so a phone or mp3 tracks from the zumo 550 on long journeys, but it is not intrusive so you can still hear sirens or even more importantly the throb of the v4 ::)

igbell
15-04-09, 05:17 PM
Now I must say VFR Simon I am with you on that, I love listening to the old V4 humming away, I like going through tunnels and under bridges where it bounces back to me....

steveo
15-04-09, 05:39 PM
i have plugs in both ears when i ride with kelly coz we use a rider and pillion comunication radio, aint had any probs so far

Davey
15-04-09, 05:50 PM
i have plugs in both ears when i ride with kelly coz we use a rider and pillion comunication radio, aint had any probs so far

Kelly hasn't told you yet hers has packed up but she's enjoying the peace and quiet without you jabbering on :D

kez_kitten
15-04-09, 06:23 PM
omg stu! Why did u have to go and tell him ::) ;) :D

sarah_race
15-04-09, 07:17 PM
I've thought about using my ipod on the work commute but i'm still loving the sound of my Remus exhaust too much :D Especially when it bounces back off buildings and under bridges...... ;D ;D

furry-TLR
18-04-09, 02:36 AM
I think if your just going along Motorways/Dual Carridgeways then actually an mp3 player keeps you amused so you don't end up doing stupid speeds to get that boring type of riding out the way.

In any other situation there should be enough for you to think about and concentrate on in which case an mp3 player could end up being a dangerous distraction.

Ryan
18-04-09, 10:41 AM
Most of the time im listening to hardcore music which is very fast, tis amasing how that can influence your riding :-?

6T
18-04-09, 01:39 PM
my exhausts are the only music i listen to 8-)

R1chie
20-04-09, 11:09 AM
I think if your just going along Motorways/Dual Carridgeways then actually an mp3 player keeps you amused so you don't end up doing stupid speeds to get that boring type of riding out the way.

In any other situation there should be enough for you to think about and concentrate on in which case an mp3 player could end up being a dangerous distraction.

+1 with the JP-meister

Down to personal preference at the end of they day. I don't have a MP3 player so I don't have that problem lol

igbell
21-04-09, 01:21 PM
Tell you what it was good to listen to some tunes going down to Lyon the other year, also Jo and I could have a chinwag along the way as well, as the model I have cuts the music when we speak.