PDA

View Full Version : Front Sprocket

paddee
27-03-09, 01:58 PM
Hi,
wondering if anybody in the Melksham area may be able to assist with lending me a bloody big socket to get front sprocket off please?
Looking like a 32mm
I have 3/8'' drive

Replacing chain and sprokets on my V-Strom (K3)

If not, I'll go buy one from someplace, but thought I might be cheeky and ask here first ;)

Davey
27-03-09, 03:10 PM
I will have the size but no where near melksham - unless someone from swindon is going anywhere that way or a meet

ONFIRE
27-03-09, 03:11 PM
Yep I have one, but am in Swindon somewhere. Still can borrow it if need be. 8-)

paddee
27-03-09, 03:34 PM
nice1 , may well put bike back together for now and come over tomorrow morning. Unless I can sort something out today.

Scotty
27-03-09, 05:52 PM
It might be worth you taking the bike to a dealer or garage where they can get an airgun onto it - especially if it's the first time that the sprocket will be removed since new - they're put on fecking tight at the factory and sometimes even a breaker bar on a 1/2" drive socket and a smack with a lump hammer won't shift them >:( - an airgun will whizz it straight off - get it loosened, then tighten it sufficiently to get you back home to do the work :) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

paddee
27-03-09, 07:15 PM
good call :)

paddee
28-03-09, 12:00 PM
I have a friend bringing a socket and breaker bar around this after noon.
Hopefuly this should be enough, the service history I have shows it was replaced some 10K miles ago.

Thanks for you offers, they are much appreciated, nice to knpw there's some good people about [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

paddee
28-03-09, 03:52 PM
hehe,
We couldn't budge the nut on sprocket.
But it doesn't look to that worn.
My dproblem now is the chain link.
It's the solid pin type, needs a riveting device to fix this link into place.
Would anyone have such a device?

paddee
29-03-09, 12:39 AM
Nutz4bikes in Trowbridge, great chaps.
Tool for the chain riveting, £10 an hour.
All sorted now

Scotty
29-03-09, 10:19 AM
Nice one, glad you got it sorted [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

FJ_Biker
29-03-09, 10:19 AM
Some jobs are just not worth doing at home. Glad you are sorted

igbell
29-03-09, 04:38 PM
Glad you got it sorted,sorry I couldnt help

paddee
29-03-09, 05:23 PM
I'm more than happy with the offers :)
Shame I couldn't get the front sproket off though :( But it looked good to me. So left it there.
And the new rear sproket has one tooth less. 42 down to 41
Not sure which is default, but I got kit from BandC express. No options for what teeth.
It does seem to suit my riding though [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
I'm more of a cruiser, and if I need the extra ooomph, I can take it down a gear(or two)

jonnydangerous
27-04-09, 12:07 PM
just a note, the front sprocket nut will have a paint on the thread, this is a thread locking compound and ensures that it stays tight (hence the "it wont come off with a breaker bar and a smack with a lump hammer" etc). if the nut comes loose, and the sprocket damages the splines on the output shaft it will require a gearbox strip and a new output shaft!!!!...

allways worth a small squirt of lock-tite on the nut before you do it up............ ;)