PDA

View Full Version : Scottoiler--Good or Bad-- or any other oiler

pip1965
06-07-07, 03:42 PM
Hi all, I have a new R1 and Im wondering if I should buy an automatic oiler.
Generally Im looking for peoples opinions as Im really not sure if its the way to go.
Any guidance greatefully received

Thanks

Dave

FJ_Biker
06-07-07, 04:57 PM
Well here is the view from an FJ1200 point of view

The standard chain the owners club supply last just over 20 000 miles, but if used with a scott oilier can last 40 000 miles

My point of view

If you are going to do a lot of miles and ride in bad weather it’s a fantastic bit of kit, if you don’t plan on doing many miles and always ride in the dry you will be hard pressed to get your money back from the cost of the oilier.

furry-TLR
06-07-07, 05:49 PM
Totally agree with FJ.

Funny thing is I brought a kit, but still not got round to fitting it, I just oil my chain every few 100 miles by hand with transmission oil...works a treat (be it a bit messy!)

I've tried using engine oil, that makes even more mess and doesn't stay on the chain for as long...other spray on lubes are waste of money they don't get lubrication down into the links where it's needed.

If you are going to get an automatic oiler, the scottoiler is the one to get the others are useless!

marcmywordz
07-07-07, 07:25 PM
got one , love it :)

Gav
08-07-07, 02:11 PM
There good if you keep them topped up and keep an eye on them to make sure they have not developed a air bubble as this stops them working.
Can be a bit messy but do a great job.
Personelly i tend to clean and re-lube my chain every couple of rides and have always had chains last in excess of 20k.

ONFIRE
08-07-07, 03:43 PM
Do the same with my R1 Lubricate it after every couple rides, use Wurth.

Nothing wrong with using engine oil paint it on with small brush let it soak in over night and wipe off excess oil next day, my broth has been doing this for years hardly a spot of oil on back wheel. I tried it myself back wheel plastered in oil , must be down to technique.

So I'll stick to using Wurth 2 second job! 8-)

Beenz
08-07-07, 05:22 PM
I fitted Scottoilers to my last two bikes, for me there is a huge difference in chain life although I do a fair few miles. A full top up lasts me over 500 miles. If it does run out it's easy enough to bleed.

pip1965
08-07-07, 06:35 PM
Thanks everyone for your views
I do alot of miles so a kit would be the answer
As its about £60 for a new kit I can see it will take a long time to recoup the cost
Look for a second hand one on ebay is in order.

furry-TLR, are you fitting yours or is this up for grabs

Cheers,
Dave in mizzy old Shaftesbury, mind you I did clock up 135 miles yesterday, or should i say summer.

furry-TLR
08-07-07, 07:10 PM
Na keeping mine :) LOL...just need to find time to fit it!

Worth the investment and you can move them from one bike to the other with a little effort if you change bike!

Snowy
08-07-07, 10:26 PM
You could buy a shaftie and then there isn't the need lol. I lube mine every 40K miles which since my bike has only done 20K I guess I will be reaching retirement age by then haha. Thats the good thing about BMW's.......

furry-TLR
08-07-07, 10:56 PM
LOL...if they make an "shaftie R1" I'll eat my hat ;D

Amante_271
09-07-07, 07:55 AM
I was once told by a young lady, you cant beat a good shafty or was that shafting!!! :o ::) ;D

:-[ Must keep smutty comments to myself in future! Sorry!! :-X

pip1965
09-07-07, 04:31 PM
Cheers furry-TLR, no worries just smelt a possible bargain, ;)
Does noone work in a bike shop and get staff sales price fo us poor bikers??
anyway,
With a short inside leg you can rule out all those adult bikes for me, shaft and all, souds nice though
I just cant see myself on a BMW, im a yip yip boy, sounds like a first date
jerk and a squirt as often as i can lol

Snowy
09-07-07, 07:17 PM
Never mind - you will see the error of your ways in due course lol.

Steev
13-07-07, 01:12 AM
Look just buy it and get it fitted by a pro. It will cost about £80 then all you gota do is top it up. I have had them on all my bikes and cant fault them. Okay the rear sproket will never be shiny but you will get so much more out of a chain and sprockets.

igbell
13-07-07, 11:53 PM
Sorry this is a bit late I have been on holiday, just got back, but yeah I recomend a oiler any time, I have had one on most of my bikes due to it making the chain last a hell of a lot longer, also saves me time at weekends, not oiling the chain.

A14RGS
27-01-09, 10:14 PM
I've been using a Scottoiler for years and can't praise them enough - well made. easy(ish) to fit and hassle free. Can easily double the mileage you'll get from chain and sprockets.
Buy it, fit it, forget it (well, apart from the occasional top-up) ;)

HTH,
Alan :)

Kevinb
28-01-09, 02:02 PM
I had one when I had my 1200 Trophy and it was great. Haven't bothered with the MT-01 just use chain wax every now and then (can tell by the gearchange when I need to do it)

ballbag2007
25-02-09, 12:21 PM
Here we go " Memory Lane " who remembers taking there chain off, after a ride out, sticking it in a round tin of greese, banging it on ya mums brand new cooker ring and boiling it for an hour, " i those were the day's " :D

Hunar
27-02-09, 05:32 PM
I have a scottoiler for both my FJ1200's, and its awesome really. I usually forget about oiling my chain, and had one snap on my old xtz750, the scottoiler means I never have to worry about it, and as I can see the level in the res everytime I approach the bike, its not been a problem to keep it topped up.

Considering a new chain and sprocket set can be very expensive, the FJ owners club charge £125 for a new set for my bikes, the kit costs £70 - £100, the scottoiler will double the life of your chain and sprockets, so you should get you money back the first time you would normally need to change you chain and sprockets.

Just as an extra FYI, scottoiler also do a fitment that puts oil on both sides of the rear sprocket, rather than just the one side which both of mine do, not sure how much of a difference this makes, but they claim its much better than the standard, and I can see it makes sense.

As for fitting, its very easy, and they have a load of fitting guides for different bikes on their website which you can download and print off freely, and if you're not sure, they are very helpfull when you contact them for advice.

As I am a complete idiot when it comes to workign on my bike i can sum it up best like this

Ease of fitment - 5*
Easy to undertand instructions - 5*
Cost - 5*
Customer service - 5*
Hunars grin factor now he never has to remember to oil his chains - 5 :D

If ya don't have one, get one, if you do have one, then you already know how good they are!

PSSSSD
28-04-09, 12:25 PM
Check out the TUTORO for a more pocket friendly oiler option

http://www.chainoiler.org.uk/index.html

I know the guy who makes them and I've an early pre-production model that I could put behind the bar at the Sally if anyone wants to have a closer look.

Let me know

jack930
28-04-09, 07:45 PM
Looks intresting [smiley=happy.gif]

Zecis
05-05-09, 04:40 PM
I had one (Scotoiler) on the VFR - a great bit of kit, buy it now!! - if you do lots of miles get the one with the massive resovoir behind the licence plate. If you have any probs the actual tech support from the Scotoiler co is absolutely first class. I'm riding a Guzzi now - so no need for such things.

Make sure it is adjusted right - I once got it completely wrong and it was virtually pissing oil onto the chain which was spraying onto the rear wheel :o .

Adam

1stbusa
05-05-09, 09:19 PM
You will not go wrong buying a scott oiler [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
it will prolong the life of the chain for one, save you money on the chain lub,
And i personaly went for the twin oil dropper so it oils both side of the chain instead of just the one side. Works very well,

igbell
06-05-09, 10:10 AM
1stbusa now thats just greedy going for a double drop...... ;D ;D

Dabz
07-05-09, 08:27 AM
I use a double dropper too, much better than the single

igbell
07-05-09, 12:35 PM
Now look whos getting all fancy......
Right thats it I am going to invent a quad dropper.....Top and bottom of Chain...... ;D ;D :D

1stbusa
07-05-09, 09:13 PM
:D :D :D

I want one [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ;D

igbell
08-05-09, 02:21 PM
Hold on I have to invent it first...... ;) ;)