PDA

View Full Version : Chain

Ryan
30-05-09, 10:29 PM
Need some help with how to maintain chains ?? my bikes done nearly 2000 miles now, the chain was done on its 600mile service but what do i need to do to it and how often? my mate just sprays some gold chain wax stuff on his every now and again and thats it, do i need to clean and lubricate it all the time? or can i just use this wax?

R1chie
30-05-09, 11:59 PM
If it is in regular use, chain wax will be fine. But also keep checking the chain for any tight spots or it becoming loose. Obviously during winter time, if you are still using the bike, a toothbrush (preferably one that you don't want to use again with your Colgate) with some petrol or wd40 is good to de-gunk the chain from road salt etc

Personally, I use Wurth chain wax as it seems not to fling about so much as other makes once applicated.

ONFIRE
31-05-09, 09:28 AM
If it is in regular use, chain wax will be fine. But also keep checking the chain for any tight spots or it becoming loose. Obviously during winter time, if you are still using the bike, a toothbrush (preferably one that you don't want to use again with your Colgate) with some petrol or wd40 is good to de-gunk the chain from road salt etc

Personally, I use Wurth chain wax as it seems not to fling about so much as other makes once applicated.

For what its Wurth I would not use WD40 on chain... ;D ;D

R1chie
31-05-09, 09:37 AM
And why is that Timbo?

alanTDM
31-05-09, 10:27 AM
I got one of these fitted to my bike saves lot of hassle, in the long run extends the life of the chain two fold, http://www.scottoiler.com/
There are different ones about that are better but this seems to be the most common one used in the UK

ONFIRE
31-05-09, 02:05 PM
And why is that Timbo?

Not saying you're wrong in your choice of chemicals. But It's been a long debate as to whether the petrol based substance may well damage ones O or X -rings and guess thats enough of a reason why I would not use WD40 on my own chain, so Paraffin would be my cleaning solution option. Or a new chain & Scottoiler protection if I were ever to become a wet weather rider. :o

Not too sure about the Colgate though ;D ;D ;D ;)

R1chie
31-05-09, 02:56 PM
I must point out, that you shouldn't simply spray WD40 straight onto the chain because, as Timotei has pointed out, it may cause the the chain seals to perish.

All you need to do is spray a bit onto a rag, allow any visible blobs to evaporate then wipe along either side of the chain. Then apply wax or oil, whatever your choice is.

igbell
01-06-09, 12:52 PM
You could go with the task of oiling your chain every week or just fit a Scottoiler and then just check the tension everyother week....... ;) ;)

jack930
01-06-09, 08:27 PM
As KarlR6 Says You canny go wrong with Fudge,,works a treat [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

gedmib
01-06-09, 08:31 PM
jack thats just stupid....he eats it :P

Steve-VFR
04-06-09, 12:28 PM
As KarlR6 Says You canny go wrong with Fudge,,works a treat [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

LMFAO that came out of no where I wasn't expecting that! Classic!

Trist
04-06-09, 05:57 PM
Paraffin then Chain lube (Worth dry chain lube or anything half decent) - simple 8-)

RoyalEnfieldRob
05-06-09, 10:54 AM
Or just buy an old British bike and you have ample excess oil to cover everything and anything!! And it keeps your boots nice and shiney!! lol [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

igbell
05-06-09, 10:58 AM
Mmm but then I cant wear my boots about the house and such, but do like the idea of a good old bike like a Indian Chief.....

RoyalEnfieldRob
05-06-09, 11:06 AM
[quote author=igbell link=1243718955/0#13 date=1244195932]Mmm but then I cant wear my boots about the house and such [quote]

Just keep plenty of newspaper to walk on!!

Roll_on
12-06-09, 08:51 PM
Both my chain driven bikes have Scottoilers but too help I squirt some chain saw chain oil on its very thick can operate at high temperature and sticks like hell helps keep the chain rust and dirt free.

nicko600
18-06-09, 06:24 PM
A good clean with parrafin every now and again, then relube. I tend to use Castrol Chain Wax at the moment, didn't rate the Wurth High Performance lube though.