PDA

View Full Version : Jack up kit

Bandit_pete
07-09-09, 09:35 PM
Hi looking for some help I have now gone up to the big boy got myself a 1250 bandit.

But to me it still feels a little light on the front a lot I read points to a jack up kit being the answer.

So

1) Any coments?
2) Where could I get them fitted.
3) If I got some would anyone be able to help with fitting?

Many thanks in advance

Bandit Pete

FJ_Biker
08-09-09, 08:07 AM
Pete I cannot answer the question about light front end, as I am no bike set-up wizard, these are only just over 30 quid on ebay so why not give it a go. It only took me half an hour to fit the ones for lowering to the bandit 600

Bike treads will fit them

igbell
08-09-09, 08:31 AM
Or you could contact one of the suspension companys and ask about set ups and so will help for a small cash price and then set them up for you with you on the bike, did you buy it from a Garage or local sale?? cos you could take it back to the garage and ask about settings.....
Also you could just lower the front forks by a couple of MM, take the measurment first and then lower the front a little at a time and go for a ride each time to see if this has done it, also have you tried upping the rear as it stands at the mo without a riser kit???
I would play with the bike as it sits first and then try other kit after all the playing has been done.....

Mark_Able
08-09-09, 08:54 PM
Or you could contact one of the suspension companys and ask about set ups and so will help for a small cash price and then set them up for you with you on the bike, did you buy it from a Garage or local sale?? cos you could take it back to the garage and ask about settings.....
Also you could just lower the front forks by a couple of MM, take the measurment first and then lower the front a little at a time and go for a ride each time to see if this has done it, also have you tried upping the rear as it stands at the mo without a riser kit???
I would play with the bike as it sits first and then try other kit after all the playing has been done.....

I agree, a Jack-Up kit is waste of money, when you can just as easily drop the forks through the yokes. Also, if you think about it, a jack-up kit will raise the centre of gravity, which is more likely to induce a wheelie, whereas lowering the front will do the opposite. Lowering the front will get the bike turning in quicker, and aid it's ability to hold it's line mid-corner, when getting on the power. Experiment dropping the front a few millimetres at a time, up to a maximum of about 10mm. Either route will steepen the steering head angle, and in turn, affect stability. If you're going to do either mods, I would highly recommend a good steering damper. It's essential if you don't want to be filling your pants on the exit of every bumpy corner... :o

Scotty
11-09-09, 05:03 PM
It would help if Pete could elaborate a little on "feeling light at the front" - do you mean the steering effort, or a tendency to wheelie? By raising the rear or lowering the front you'll quicken the steering even further if that's where the problem already lies. Have you checked your tyre pressures? If the front is over-inflated it'll feel nervous and skittish :o

Ducatista
11-09-09, 05:18 PM
Mark Hammond at Lower seagrey is a suspension god.
His company is MH Racing and he has a good reputation locally.
He will set up the bike for the rider.

Bandit_pete
12-09-09, 06:12 PM
Hi thanks for your replys. where I say light i mean the stearing is light I dont have a huge amount of confidence going in to corners. Also when coming to a stop the stering is very wobberly.

I hope this makes sence.

Where you talk of dropping the front end ie drop the forks through the yokes what do you mean? I thought my only adjustments where to the dampening?

Sorry if I sound a dumbo but I am not paticually meacanacly minded

Mark_Able
12-09-09, 08:20 PM
Hi thanks for your replys. where I say light i mean the stearing is light I dont have a huge amount of confidence going in to corners. Also when coming to a stop the stering is very wobberly.

I hope this makes sence.

Where you talk of dropping the front end ie drop the forks through the yokes what do you mean? I thought my only adjustments where to the dampening?

Sorry if I sound a dumbo but I am not paticually meacanacly minded

Pete, you've got two sets of clamps that hold the forks in place. By undoing both clamps, the forks will drop through the clamps. Be ready, because if it's all lose, the front will probably drop too far.

Incidentally, have you had a new front tyre recently? A new tyre will give you a feeling of light steering. If it's different to what was on there before, it might be a different profile, which again, can give a light feel to the steering. Just a thought.

hotdog
13-09-09, 08:49 AM
Pete,

I have a Bandit 1250 and don't have any concerns with the steering feel. As Scotty already pointed out, raising the rear or lowering the front will make the steering quicker which will give it an even lighter feel.

Before you do any such work I strongly suggest you check the rear pre-load and if necessary increase it a little from standard. At the same time check the front pre-load is on the factory settings. The user manual details the factory settings and how to adjust them further.

If you'd like to meet up sometime and compare set ups, and ride mine as a comparison, I'd be happy to arrange something.

I have an electronic copy of the Workshop manual for the 1250. PM me your email address and I'll gladly send it to you.

Regards,