PDA

View Full Version : Chain

Hannah
11-09-09, 12:50 PM
Hi all,

My chain appears to be loose at the moment and I'd like to get this sorted ASAP. Its due in for a service on 22nd but it needs doing before then. Silly question now but is it easy enough for me to do this if I am shown how to do it properly or would it just be worth taking it to GW early and getting them to do it? This is something I would like to know how to do anyway.

It's to the point where i'm riding along and in 1st or 2nd the chain starts to 'clunk' I don't know how to describe it really but its getting worse and 'clunking' more frequently lol

I ride almost 60 miles a day and don't want to damage anything by leaving it so if anyone can offer advice i'd very much appreciate it. :)

igbell
11-09-09, 01:19 PM
Hi HMB

Right the chain should not move that much so yes it sounds like it needs adjusting.

Now as yours is a Honda you should have the service book with it and this tells you the movement that you should have.

Chain tension is generally determined by the distance between the front and rear sprockets, and many bikes have index marks to help with alignment.

Bikes have differing chain adjustment mechanisms, and in general, the rear axle and wheel move forward or backward in order to set chain tension. Single-sided swingarms usually have an eccentric cam which sets the position of the rear axle; other more traditional designs feature hexagonal-headed inner nuts to move the axle, and an outer one to lock and unlock it.

When chain tension is properly set, it should be able to move up and down between approximately .75 and 1 inch at its loosest point.

I hope this helps......

Iggy

Snowy
11-09-09, 01:21 PM
It's been a while since I had to do this but it's certainly something you should be able to do. It should be a matter of loosening the rear wheel slightly and tightening or loosening the adjusters either side of the wheel. This is made much easier if the bike has a centrestand or paddock stand to get the wheel off the ground. Chains typically develope tightspots and the aim is to get the chain set with the chain at its tightest point when you move it up and down with a finger at the centre point between both sprockets. Sounds complicated but it's not really. In my day, no more than an inch of play should be allowed with the chain at it's tightest point.

If the chain has a huge amount of slack there is a danger it could jump either sprocket and the wheel to lock up - not good so it's best to check this out.

As I said, I have not done this for a while so check your manual - but wheels are still round and chains still oily! ;)

Edit - Iggy got his reply in before I finished typing - glad I'm not far out though :)

igbell
11-09-09, 01:22 PM
http://www.obairlann.net/reaper/motorcycle/beginner/chain-slack.html

Kevinb
11-09-09, 01:29 PM
It will be easier if you have a centre stand otherwise I would get a dealer to do it.
A friend of mine did his Benelli Tornado's to tight and took some alloy off the swingarm.

lydolepper
11-09-09, 03:55 PM
You don't need a centre stand. You can put it on the side stand and use any old jack (I use the one from the boot of my car) to raise the back wheel off the ground. You do need a torque wrench though.

Hannah
11-09-09, 04:03 PM
Well i'm going to have a look at this tonight and then cry when it all goes wrong lol. No i'll have a look at it and try to sort something as its nott good in the tate its in I would say.

Scotty
11-09-09, 04:58 PM
Do you have a handbook or manual for the bike? That'll show you how to do it - fairly straightforward really. If you have a toolkit for the bike as well it would help, that'll have all the right sized spanners in it. is there anyone around your way who could just show you how to do it or instruct you in doing it? There may be a sticker on the swingarm stating what the recommended chain slack should be, it's normally around 30mm of play - shame you didn't ask last night, we could have shown you how to do it ::)
Good luck, keep asking on here if you have any further problems [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB
11-09-09, 05:17 PM
There's got to be a helpful WB bloke down your way who is willing to help - you know how they like to do the 'Man' thing while you do the 'Girl' thing and look helpless. :D (even tho' you could do it yourself)

Worked for me for years - never broke a fingernail on a bike yet! ;D ;D

BB

finbar
11-09-09, 09:37 PM
If you get it over to Calne I will do it for you. PM me and I will do it this saturday. I will check this site in the morning.

Finbar

alanTDM
15-09-09, 11:48 PM
Some bikes have to have there chain adjusted not on a centrestand but upright or just on the sidestand.If its to tight can wreck your gearbox sprocket bearing,which poss mean a engine strip Ouch!!
If you got no user manual Haynes might do a book for your bike.

alanTDM
15-09-09, 11:50 PM
There's got to be a helpful WB bloke down your way who is willing to help - you know how they like to do the 'Man' thing while you do the 'Girl' thing and look helpless. :D (even tho' you could do it yourself)

BB

Hows the gearbox coming along is it done yet :)

finbar
16-09-09, 12:17 AM
Hi HMB,

I had a look at your chain tension and it was fine. Did not see the bit about your 'clunking' gearbox. As the chain is about right I think it may well be a case of the slack needing to be taken out of the clutch cable, you need about 5mm slack at the lever end. If this does not help then you have to adjust the clearance between the clutch plates which is slightly more involved but nothing I could not sort in 10 mins...if you get stuck. If that does not sort it, things get more complicated.

Cheers,
Finbar

Kevinb
16-09-09, 08:49 AM
You don't need a centre stand. You can put it on the side stand and use any old jack (I use the one from the boot of my car) to raise the back wheel off the ground. You do need a torque wrench though.

I wouldn't even attempt it. Jacking up the back end on a 1700cc.

Hannah
16-09-09, 12:58 PM
Once the wheel had been moved back and the chain sorted the clunking noise stopped, it was a case of the chain was far to loose which is really bad on my part for not paying attention and putting myself in danger but now that I know what to do and look out for it wont ever be getting in that state again!

sburv
16-09-09, 01:28 PM
What a muppet.

That said I need to do mine lol

Roxy
16-09-09, 03:29 PM

BB

BB I like your way of thinking ;D...it's just the same as mine chick!! hee hee [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

roxy