PDA

View Full Version : Tyres

jack930
05-12-08, 02:14 AM
Lo all,,
been awhile since ive had to look for tyres,
any one know wot a good all year round sport tyre is,with plenty of grip in wet and also will be good in the summer,
and cheepish :o

igbell
08-12-08, 09:48 AM
Dont know about sports tyres as I go for dual compound tyres, I have the BT021 version on my little bike

Carbonkid
08-12-08, 01:17 PM
I use Metzeler Z6's on my Fazer thou. Good in all weathers & my last Z6 lasted me 6000miles...

FJ_Biker
08-12-08, 01:30 PM
Tyres are more a personal choice, I use AVON azaros with a touring compound.

I’ve clocked 10K on them this year in all weathers, as I use my bike to commute 40 miles daily

Kevinb
08-12-08, 02:39 PM
Metzelers or Bridgestone. I ride all year round
I managed to get about 4k out of the Metzelers on the MT-01

jack930
08-12-08, 09:28 PM
cheers , been told about the avon's but wonted to make shore,as ill be using the bike all year round

bladep102
21-12-08, 12:56 PM
Michelin 2cts got a mate who won south gloucester championship runs them on his old zx9 road bike with standard suspension did 1800 miles round france and spain then did two track days with us and they are still road legal if i had to buy tyres thats what i would buy

jack930
22-12-08, 05:58 PM
still ??

alanTDM
22-12-08, 06:28 PM
I use to have Avon Azora's on my bike got 19 k out of the front and 9-10K on the rear this year they discontinued them and all i could get was Avon Storm which is a replacement ,not happy 6 K on the rear im now looking for another rear but different make .

Any one know of a Bridgestone dealer around Bath/
Chippenham area which dont charge top wack for them

bladep102
23-12-08, 06:35 PM
happy if i get a thousand out of mine

bobf279
31-12-08, 07:16 PM
Bridgestone BT 45's on my CB 500 got just over 6k from rear front still good and new Avon Storms on my Deauville so don't know how long they will run. I got a good deal from Roy Vincent Motorcycles in Warminster.

SupeRDel
01-01-09, 06:58 PM
I got Avon Roadrunners on one of my bikes. One of them cost me £5 at an auto jumble.

jack930
13-01-09, 07:59 PM
Any one had Continental Conti Motion ,,

Cash is tight and looking around,i would be looking at around £200 for front and back,

but was put onto theis by a pal £140 front and back,

http://www.cambriantyres.co.uk/continental/1165

or am i better putting a extra £20 on the price for a set of these
Avon's Storm-ST

http://www.cambriantyres.co.uk/avon-tyres/1084

:-/ :-/ :-/

Davey
13-01-09, 08:57 PM
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RoundAndBlack_Motorcycle-Tyres_Special-Pair-Deals_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQfsubZ7QQftidZ2QQpZ2QQtZkm

Have a look on there - use them a few times

A lot of people are hyping up the maxxis sports - budget tyre but plenty of grip - I haven't used them so can't confirm but will at some point this year

Snowy
13-01-09, 09:04 PM
Have had good performance with Metzeler Z6's and currently trying out Dunlop Roadsmarts which are also very good especially in the cold and wet. Paid 165 for a pair from roundandblack off ebay and I fitted/balanced them myself which makes the internet buy affordable. If you email them via ebay they will personalise a quote if the pair you want are not listed.

jj
15-01-09, 07:01 PM
have been using dunlop qualifier rr for a while and the grip is amazing the only downside is getting about 1000 miles out of the rear

FJ_Biker
16-01-09, 05:18 PM
1k out of a rear tyre, that would be a back tyre a month for me and financial ruin, how soft are these tyres?

bladep102
16-01-09, 08:54 PM
just like to have plenty of grip not too worried about mileage

igbell
21-01-09, 05:46 PM
I really like the Red ones, does anybody know where I can get me a set???

crewy
22-01-09, 03:48 AM
on my ninja i use bridgestone tyres front and rear, cant remember what exact model at the mo, but they are ment to be quite a soft compound and they do stick to the road extreamly well

mikesouthby
22-01-09, 12:29 PM
I'm currently running Pirelli Diablos, hard to tell in this weather just how sticky they are as I'm fiarly upright most of the time but, they seem pretty good, no scarey moments, yet!

KP
22-01-09, 09:13 PM
i got avon storms on mine, not had a problem with them at all, i find them pretty good in wet conditions too .

igbell
22-01-09, 11:28 PM
http://www.cycletires.com/gallery.htm

Now half way down is a red VFR with Red Tyres on, this is what I want to do to mine.

ONFIRE
22-01-09, 11:38 PM
http://www.cycletires.com/gallery.htm

Now half way down is a red VFR with Red Tyres on, this is what I want to do to mine.

Think I remember several years ago a small company in Bromy land used to supply these for sports bikes, seem to remember they would re - laminate remoulds. :-/

igbell
23-01-09, 12:27 AM
I know that Avon used make them but cant see anywhere that do them now.

Trist
03-03-09, 10:08 AM
I'm guessing you've bought some now but I've found the Pirelli Diablos a good all round tyre through winter. Took them out for their first proper run on Sunday and they felt planted and had no "moments" so I'd recommend them.

Will probably buy some Diablo Corsa 3's for the summer / trackdays though.

JC
27-06-09, 05:18 PM
I used bridgestone BT020 all year round seem to be great for my bike

Brosnan
28-06-09, 10:45 AM
i use Michelin Pilot Power 2cts....

have road with diablos..bridgestones Avon vipers etc dunlop qualifiers but found the Michelins suit my ridibg stile the best.....

but its all personal choice

Iceman
28-06-09, 11:07 AM
I picked up a "Conti motion" Budget tyre that's had favourable reviews for wet weather and longetivity use.One of the cheapest on the market but still with excellent performance!

R1chie
28-06-09, 11:54 AM
Pilot Power 2CT's here.

For budget sports tyres, Maxxis Supermaxx seem to be the current favourites.

ONFIRE
29-06-09, 11:56 PM
Corsa III's [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

IanTasker
05-07-09, 12:00 PM
I've just put a set of Maxxis Supermaxx Sports on mine for £155 fitted :) can't complain at that price. Not read one bad review on them, they're sticky as hell, warm up quickly, on the geeky side the tread pattern looks wicked (like cut slicks) so i'm well chuffed so far with them [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dutch
17-07-09, 09:55 AM

what kind of mileage do you get out of them, i do a lot of miles and i have these on my bike at the moment and they are amazing. loads of confidence in all weathers.

ONFIRE
17-07-09, 03:50 PM

what kind of mileage do you get out of them, i do a lot of miles and i have these on my bike at the moment and they are amazing. loads of confidence in all weathers.

Depends how you ride I guess... myself on the Road now I only get 1500 miles.

5 years ago about 4000 miles [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Davey
17-07-09, 07:05 PM

Is that before they're worn or squared off ;) If your doing higher mileage I'd look at a dual/ tri compound

ONFIRE
17-07-09, 08:14 PM

Is that before they're worn or squared off ;) If your doing higher mileage I'd look at a dual/ tri compound

Oi numpty... Thats why they are called Corsa 111 They're a three zone compound Tire (the Rear utilizes two compounds in three distinct zones with a firmer center surrounded by softer shoulders.)

But you're probably right Stu (did i say that?) look at a harder compound touring tire for improved miles...maybe Supermaxx Touring.

Then its a trade off between mileage and grip like said depends on how you ride.

Take a look at this site might be of help http://www.fwr.co.uk/

Davey
17-07-09, 08:25 PM

Oi numpty... Thats why they are called Corsa 111 They're a three zone compound Tire (the Rear utilizes two compounds in three distinct zones with a firmer center surrounded by softer shoulders.)

But you're probably right Stu (did i say that?) look at a harder compound touring tire for improved miles...maybe Supermaxx Touring.

Then its a trade off between mileage and grip like said depends on how you ride.

Take a look at this site might be of help http://www.fwr.co.uk/

Yeah thats what I meant to put just forgot to finish the sentence - beer was calling ;D

Dutch
21-07-09, 12:12 PM
thanks for all the info. i used to use Metzler Z6 on my 750 which got great mileage and were even good on a track but not really sure what they will be like with 180bhp running through them.
anybody else use these tires on a 1000cc machine??

ONFIRE
21-07-09, 02:50 PM
;D ;D

G_-_Whizz
04-08-09, 05:17 PM
If you shop around you may still find some Bridgestone 020's.
Which are grippier than the newer 021's, I've found.
And will be cheaper, too.

igbell
05-08-09, 02:41 PM
See now that is funny G-Whizz, as I have always used 020's and I have just got 021's and I have found the 21's to be better, it all goes to show the type of bike and setup does change what type of tyre is best for you and your setup. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

G_-_Whizz
05-08-09, 08:16 PM
I do tend to keep my suspension fairly hard, even in the wet.
Do you think I should be using different pressures for different tyres? 'cause the 021's slide about on dry roads, where the 020 would be fine.

See now that is funny G-Whizz, as I have always used 020's and I have just got 021's and I have found the 21's to be better, it all goes to show the type of bike and setup does change what type of tyre is best for you and your setup. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

igbell
06-08-09, 10:01 AM
Now this is another question altogether, what one person likes the other might not, now I have mine set up softer than some might like but then I aint 300mph all the time, as I ride a Sports Tourer with less of the sports, and then I crank it a notch when the wife gets on the back.

Thorkill_The_Tall
06-08-09, 04:51 PM
Most people will never really be good enough to explore the full capabilities uber sticky boots like Corsas or 021s.
Why not use Avon Storms?
Good enough for yer average rider, perform well in both wet and dry and are made locally, so you help to keep a Wiltshire bod in a job.

G_-_Whizz
09-08-09, 11:14 AM
Has anyone seen page 17 of this weeks MCN
020 beats 021 pmsl

igbell
10-08-09, 10:07 AM
See now there's another funy thing....
Cos 'Bike' tested the two on two different bikes and put 021's in front of the old ones, so like I said before it all depends on who, what, when and how.......
It also depends on the price of chicken..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

FJ_Biker
10-08-09, 05:12 PM
Thorkill The Tall wrote

Most people will never really be good enough to explore the full capabilities uber sticky boots like Corsas or 021s.
Why not use Avon Storms?
Good enough for yer average rider, perform well in both wet and dry and are made locally, so you help to keep a Wiltshire bod in a job.

I am in agreement with this, I always buy Avon tyres for that simple fact.

Even the touring compound tyres are good enough to get your pegs down without problems

finbar
02-09-09, 10:47 PM
Avon storms are great have run them on a gsxr1000k6 brilliant in the wet and dry. Lets be honest guys people can not used the grip of sticky sports tyres on the road unless you really are taking the piss and lining yourself up for a big accident.

Modern Sports touring tyres are fantastic...I had my worries fitting them to a 160 bhp + bike, but two sets have proved my fears unfounded. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

alanTDM
03-09-09, 06:21 PM
I got Avon Storms on my bike.Came back from N Wales in early June hit a thunderstorm riding in it for 1hour tyres were faultless.Now i know why they call them Avon Storms.Need a new rear soon getting about 7K and 20K on the front [smiley=thumbsup.gif]and i even havent had a puncture this time round, Yet!:)

bladep102
03-09-09, 07:29 PM
Sorry had bad experience with avons in the wet and know for a fact that they use metzelers to set there test bikes up with before they test there own tyres :o and i also know some people who get them for free but never use them just sell them on and buy other brands but tyres are always a personal choice ;)

jack930
04-09-09, 03:37 PM
been thinking on getting some of theis

http://www.pirelli.co.uk/web/motorcycle/tyres/angelst/default.page

Mark_Able
07-09-09, 08:48 PM
Sorry had bad experience with avons in the wet and know for a fact that they use metzelers to set there test bikes up with before they test there own tyres :o and i also know some people who get them for free but never use them just sell them on and buy other brands but tyres are always a personal choice ;)

You're right. I used to do tyre testing for Avon. Rensports were the dogs danglies in the dry. No good in the wet. Incidentally, I wouldn't touch Avon Azaros with a barge pole. Great in the dry, and great mileage, but in the wet... :o :o :o
Just by rolling on the throttle on a litre bike would get the rear spinning for miles. Scarey stuff if you weren't prepared. Good fun if you knew what you were doing... ;D
On the other hand, Storms are very good. It was difficult to make the rear lose traction, even when provoked (would normally end up wheelying instead).
A lot of what you read about tyres in the motorcycling press, is cobblers. They have to write something to sell magazines. Most tyres these days are very good, with only a couple of exceptions. It comes down to what sort of riding you do, and what mileage you want. The Storms are a good compromise. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

igbell
08-09-09, 08:34 AM
Good point Able, it is really down to you your bike set up and how you feel...
All companies and mags could say the gold ones are the best and the copper ones are the worst but then I could get on fine with the copper ones as Able might not.....so it really is a try and see...but I have found ones that work for me and my bike at the mo so I am sticking with them.... ;) :) ;)

Uber Dave
08-09-09, 12:24 PM
.....so it really is a try and see...but I have found ones that work for me and my bike at the mo so I am sticking with them.... ;) :) ;)

Same here, I may not be using the BT021's on my bike to their full extent but I do have confidence in them in all weather and so far I have been very very impressed with the mileage I have had out of them. Reckon I have just under a 1000 miles on the back one and that would push it over the 5000 mile mark by the time it needs replacing which is good as far as I am concerned!

bladep102
15-09-09, 07:37 PM
Question for able training do you know Pete Wilson and Glen Hunnybun ? :)

Mark_Able
17-09-09, 08:55 PM
Certainly do. I heard Pete no longer works for Avon though. Damn good rider, and really knew his stuff. Learnt a lot from him. Used to race in Canadian Superbikes, where anything goes. Said about guys using turbos and nitros in a roadrace. Mad... :o

bladep102
17-09-09, 10:03 PM
Yes he is no more dont know where he has gone and Glen is a mate who i do track days with maybe catch up sometime or dont you do track days anymore

Mark_Able
18-09-09, 08:25 PM
Yes he is no more dont know where he has gone and Glen is a mate who i do track days with maybe catch up sometime or dont you do track days anymore

I do some trackdays, but really focusing on tuition. I still have some fun on my bike (FZ1), but being naked, it's not ideal. I get knackered a bit quick. :-[

Also, it's not quite the same when you've done racing. It's all a bit gentlemanly, and a bit sedate.

Who is the other guy at Avon, keep trying to remember his name. Was a bit nuts in a race. Was good, but fell off a lot. It's terrible getting old, can't remember my own name sometimes... :D

jimmer
25-09-09, 07:44 PM
You must be on about Pete Dobson

Mark_Able
26-09-09, 07:57 PM
You must be on about Pete Dobson

That's the one Jimmer. Is he still at Avon? Is he still racing? :-?

bladep102
27-09-09, 08:02 PM
Pete Wilson was the ex canadian superbike champ ;)

Mark_Able
29-09-09, 09:12 PM
Pete Wilson was the ex canadian superbike champ ;)

Put it this way, when you saw him riding, you could tell he wasn't paying for the tyres... ;D

Jon_W
30-09-09, 09:34 AM
I swear by Bridgstone 020's for the Sv. Have used them in all conditions and on most road types and never found them wanting. Great all round tyre which dosen't wear out or flatten in the centre quickly.

I know they aren't the cheapest out there but have tried Mezlers and Dunlops for comparison and never found them anwhere near as good in terms of either life or feel.

Haven't tried the new 014's myself but a friend has them on his Monster and is very happy. I used 010's off and on until they stopped making them and loved them... life wasn't as good as the 020 though.