PDA

View Full Version : Engine repairs

jack930
06-08-09, 02:48 AM
Well thought all was well riding to work this morning, how wrong i was gona be.

Got half way their and with no warning heard a banging noise from the front of my bike it soon got very loud and then the engine cut out over a space of 100meters

It started back up but cut out straight away, it sounds like metal Grinding and banging.

Engine has oil,and their is no sighn of crack's or leaking oil.

As for the so called breakdown cover.thats in my wifes name,wanted to know if she was their as its for her,after me saying she had just gone home,they put it down as not with vechl,and unable to send recovery,
So at 2 in the morning i lost the plot with them,saying thank you for your help in leaving me in the middle of nowhere and no way of getting home,
They just said Good night sir >:(

Had to get a lift home from a pal (Cheers Ged)and leave the bike by the side of the road,

If any one live's nr or in Frome with a trailer or a means for picking a bike up giz a shout ;)

So
As its a V-twin i have no idea where to go to get it looked at and i dont wona think of the cost :'(

Is their any one out their thats worked on v-twins ,that could have a look or even work on it, to keep the cost down :)

No more riding for me untill its fixed :'( :'( :'( or sold for parts coz i canny aford the repair :'( :'(

FJ_Biker
06-08-09, 07:45 AM
Jack sorry to hear about you bad news, it might be cheaper to start looking for another engine

Kevinb
06-08-09, 08:44 AM
Jack

Sorry I'm not that mechanical.
If it's a case of getting it looked over you could try Lightning services, Marsh Farm, Marsh Road, Hilperton. Tel 785164.
He is into Harley's and did a great job servicing my Triumph Bonnie.

Kev

jack930
06-08-09, 01:06 PM
Bike been recoverd :'(

gedmib
06-08-09, 01:19 PM
again thanks too who.......ME lol :P

Last Train
06-08-09, 01:31 PM
No more riding for me untill its fixed :'( :'( :'( or sold for parts coz i canny aford the repair :'( :'(

What a pisser mate :(

I agree with Kevinb, give Baz at Lightning Services a shout

igbell
06-08-09, 02:46 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news dude, sorry to say all I can say is take it to one of the more well known garages or one that you can get a recomendation from another biker that has had work done, as I have not had this happen to me (Touch wood) so I can say to try one over another.

jack930
06-08-09, 03:16 PM
Had a word with a garage and it sounds like the cam chain ,so god knows wot damage it has done :'( :'(

just gave Lightning services a call ,they are fully booked up till Sep,and also qouted me £60 ph labour,

Had a search all morning for a engine and only found 1 on ebay at £900

gedmib
06-08-09, 03:31 PM
£900 thats peanuts fer u mate get the wife too pay....oops then again maybe not, lol, however i do do know where theres a tuned too death R6 if u fancy one.....

Had a word with a garage and it sounds like the cam chain ,so god knows wot damage it has done :'( :'(

just gave Lightning services a call ,they are fully booked up till Sep,and also qouted me £60 ph labour,

Had a search all morning for a engine and only found 1 on ebay at £900

Thorkill_The_Tall
06-08-09, 04:58 PM

Baz at Lightning's charges are just shy of £49 per hour, including VAT.

jack930
06-08-09, 05:02 PM

Baz at Lightning's chrages are just shy of £49 per hour, including VAT.

Vat puts it up to the 60 mark

Thorkill_The_Tall
06-08-09, 05:05 PM

Baz at Lightning's charges are just shy of £49 per hour, including VAT.

alanTDM
06-08-09, 05:09 PM
Have a look on the Honda Owners club forum someone might have had this problem before and might give you a clue to what has gone wrong.
If you got a Haynes manual you could use that it tell you how to take the cam covers off and see if it is the cam chain thats gone awol or tensioner.
Some Vtwins have outside cam chain covers easy to take off and look others run through a tunnel up to cam shaft so cam cover has to be taken off.
Good luck!

jack930
06-08-09, 06:52 PM
yeh done the forums and its a comon fault the front cct spring tends to go, so i could be looking at cct /chain/inlet + outlet valves and any other stuff it might have damaged still not good .

darrenatthesally
06-08-09, 07:25 PM
bad luck mate will keep a look out for someone for you

Ryan
06-08-09, 07:30 PM
sorry to hear that jack! hopefully see you out and about in no time [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Last Train
06-08-09, 08:40 PM

Kin cheers

Iceman
07-08-09, 09:45 AM
:( ..that sucks mate.Really sorry to hear that!

Last Train
10-08-09, 07:44 PM
Any ideas on what you're gonna do yet mate,

:-/

gedmib
10-08-09, 08:16 PM
he aint ere at the mo gone on holiday to think about it

Last Train
10-08-09, 08:56 PM
Ta

jack930
18-08-09, 09:32 PM
update ,,the front cct has gone,and also had a bent pin on the front spark plug,
so im guessing a valve has been damaged,but untill the head comes off i wont know,
just hope the cylinder head and bore aint damaged :'( :'(

gedmib
18-08-09, 09:36 PM
fingers crossed

Roxy
18-08-09, 09:42 PM
update ,,the front cct has gone,and also had a bent pin on the front spark plug,
so im guessing a valve has been damaged,but untill the head comes off i wont know,
just hope the cylinder head and bore aint damaged :'( :'(

best keep all fingers and toes crossed for this one chick - let you know when I know more.. :-/

Last Train
18-08-09, 10:35 PM
Think positive dude

igbell
19-08-09, 08:32 AM
Good luck and all the best dude...

Kevinb
19-08-09, 08:44 AM
I hope it's a simple fix & not to expensive

Kev

jack930
19-08-09, 09:44 PM
Not good news engine is fooked valves have unseated one has embeded in the head of the piston and another in the cylinder head,also think the crank arm has bent ..

gedmib
19-08-09, 10:19 PM
bugger

Last Train
19-08-09, 10:45 PM
arse

oops, wrong thread

;)

Not good news engine is fooked
Ouch mate >:(

gedmib
19-08-09, 11:10 PM
lol pmsl....wounder wots goin through his mind

arse

oops, wrong thread

;)

Not good news engine is fooked
Ouch mate >:(

Davey
20-08-09, 11:15 AM
Bloody hell you're a bit late as just sold a load of spares as mine has gone! :(

You're probably better off buying a cheapish one for a donor engine then sell the spares remaining. I've done that quite a few times and repaired the bike for next to nothing once the parts are sold.

Next time fit APE maual CCT's!

gedmib
20-08-09, 02:48 PM
update......ITS FOO*ED

Roxy
20-08-09, 02:51 PM
update......ITS FOO*ED

oh yeah!!! :o

jack930
20-08-09, 02:53 PM
ha wot do you class as cheep .. :-? not seen any on net for less than 1000

was thinking more like 500

igbell
20-08-09, 02:53 PM
You should work for CID...... ;)

Davey
20-08-09, 06:28 PM
ha wot do you class as cheep .. :-? not seen any on net for less than 1000

was thinking more like 500

You may have to pay a grand but after breaking you'll get your money back and then sell the old spares off the old engine. I recently done a TL I bought for a grand and managed to break and get over 1600 back - people will pay over the odds for 1 part that they need.

gedmib
21-08-09, 10:38 AM
tis a good idea like just too regain some lost cash,then again not all of us have that type of cash to to do that ,

jack930
21-08-09, 08:21 PM
no we dont ..will need to save up ,,so might be a while till im back on the road :'(

Davey
21-08-09, 09:36 PM
Nor do I - I managed the plastic friend well! Get it on the plastic - strip and sell the parts quickly and pay off asap and if timed right can work out upto 60 days interest free

jack930
21-08-09, 09:42 PM
Nor do I - I managed the plastic friend well! Get it on the plastic - strip and sell the parts quickly and pay off asap and if timed right can work out upto 60 days interest free

Yep would agree ,if i had that option mate,but sadly i dont

Davey
21-08-09, 10:09 PM
eeeermmmm thought of pimping the misses out? [smiley=happy.gif]

bank robbery is an option but no doubt it'll be the only thing they bother to look except a donut box and you'll get busted

jack930
21-08-09, 10:32 PM

fuk me will be quiker to save a few pence every week :D

Roxy
21-08-09, 10:35 PM

OUCH!! ;D

Davey
21-08-09, 11:02 PM

You haven't got the jist of this pimping lark :D but what ever takes your fancy ;)

gedmib
22-08-09, 08:13 AM
hahahahahahahahahahahaha, if she ever reads this thread not only will his bike be in bits but so will he buried in bits right next to it lol

You haven't got the jist of this pimping lark :D but what ever takes your fancy ;)

Roxy
23-08-09, 06:55 PM
OH LET ME TELL HER!!!! PLEEEASE! ;D ;)

gedmib
23-08-09, 08:18 PM
pmsl ::)

Roxy
23-08-09, 08:28 PM
DING DING ... dead man walking ;D

gedmib
24-08-09, 12:24 AM
mmm yup

jonnydangerous
27-10-09, 02:01 PM
if its slipped the timing you will probably require a new piston as well, and check the bottom end bearings for contact when the valves loaded the piston....

i have built nitrous and turbod race engines, drag strip engines, one of my rally landrovers was once on top gear too!

give me a shout if youre stuck mate....

jaydee :-)

Jon_W
27-10-09, 03:10 PM
Take it one stage at a time. It could even be as simple as a head gasket.

Get the rocker cover off and have a look at the timing marks. If these have slipped or there is somthing obviously amiss in there (bits of metal or missing valves) then suspect that.

Take the plugs out and have a look at the top of the piston. Whilst there turn the engine over by hand (with both the plugs out) and see if it is tight or you can see anything amiss. (like the valves not moving)

All these thing could save you a lot of time / money come making a decision whether to get the lump repaired, buy another engine or break the bike and buy another.