PDA

View Full Version : Idle Revs = cut-out.

Bennett
27-03-10, 08:55 PM
Sadly, for a while, well since I got it, my bike cuts out when you leave it on idle or more than like a minute it cuts out.

My friend seems to think there is a screw near the carb that fixes this, is this correct? and is it easy to adjust or does it need precision?

SJS motorcycles was shut when I went down :(

Uber Dave
27-03-10, 10:24 PM
Is it just when the engine is cold or when its been run for a bit and warm. Do you have a manual choke on the bike.

There should be a screw which will adjust the idle of the bike yes, but that wont stop it cutting out if it has the correct idle rev limit, would just increase the revs at tick over.

Has this just started since you went off road on SPTA? It could be the air filter which is clogged with crap and limiting the airflow but just altering the idle revs wont solve anything at a guess.

Bennett
27-03-10, 11:40 PM
It's not when it's cold, I can be running it for an hour and it'll still happen.
Yes, It's manual.
and No, since I got it.

Cemorah
28-03-10, 07:42 PM
There are 2 screws on the carb one in line with the throttle cable this adjusts the idle speed. The other one towards the back of the carb adjusts the air mixture. Before adjusting either of these make sure air filter is clean and spark plug is gapped properly.

This has a good write up of how to adjust the air screw: http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=265950

Bennett
28-03-10, 10:41 PM
Alright, thanks. :)

Jon_W
29-03-10, 11:06 AM
Check the colour of the plugs. They should e a chocolate brown colour. If they are white, that indicates too lean and may indicate an air leak in the induction system. If they are sooty black, that indicates too rich and possily a blocked air filter.

If the plugs look ok then adjust the idle screw a bit. I adjust the tickover up 200 rpm on the GS as part of the anti-winter measures.

Morticia
30-03-10, 10:50 AM
My sv used to do this, believe me, he's had every problem. The boyfriend tried just the idle and it kept happening, the boyfriend serviced it and it stopped. Hmm, only to move on to the next issue, LOL!