PDA

View Full Version : R6 5MT Electrical Problem

cmjkeegan
22-04-10, 09:42 AM
Little bit of history behind this problem but basically there are 2 faults (but I would wager 1 root cause)

When indicating left the right indicator has a small voltage leak and flashes very dimly
The dashboard flasher is also very dim
When indicating right all is good.

2nd problem is that when I turn my ignition off the trip counter zeros.

It is worth bearing in mind that the alarm malfunctioned and I had it cut from my loom, a friend of mine traced the loom back and made it good so the bike now runs fine. I don't know if the indicator problem stems from this but the tip computer thing definatly does as I use it to gauge fuel stops!

Anyone got any ideas, I'm thinking earthing fault and if its a royal pain I'm gonna just leave it as the bike runs good.

Cheers
K

P.S I got it through MOT by taking the LED indicators off the back and replacing with normal bulbs.

finbar
22-04-10, 01:55 PM
Sounds like an earth issue to me too. If you cant be bothered sorting your wiring just run an additional earth to the indictors. I fear your trip is getting 'spiked' by a stray charge from a badly earthed circuit and being cleared. cant say any more as I dont know the state of the loom after 'your mate' hacked it about!

Suggestion!... pay someone to do the work well! ;)

cmjkeegan
22-04-10, 07:53 PM
If I could have afforded to pay someone to do it I would have :(

Worth a go with the earthing thing tho, but in reality I doubt I can be arsed, it's mostly a track bike anyway.

50p up for grabs for anyone that wants to do it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

K

bobf279
22-04-10, 09:01 PM
A whole 50p what an offer, if only I had the knowledge ;D

Jon_W
23-04-10, 10:36 AM
SOunds like two seperate issues here.

Indicators.
The problem with your indicators sounds like a bad ground connection somwhere. This means that the voltage is taking a odd route back through to the battery.

The alternative is a short. Check the looms where they go throuh holes in the fairings, frame etc.

Trip.
This sounds like a battery backup issue. I suspect (check with Yamaha) that the clock have a perminant live connected from the battery in order to retain the trip meters and clock. My guess is that this has been broken ti the demoval of the alarm

The alternative is that the clocks have an internal battery (like a watch battery) which allows the memory to be retained. This may be low. Check with Yamaha, they will know.

Get a haynes book is my last bit of advice. That should tell you a lot.

silly_simon
29-04-10, 08:48 PM
Keeg's
the indicators may have had a resistor fitted to make them all flash together when alarm was set/deactivated as was on mine, may be worth rechecking the indicator wires near the hazzard flasher relay [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jonnydangerous
10-05-10, 02:30 PM
Kegs...solution is to put in the whole unmollested loom that you bought on ebay... ;-)