PDA

View Full Version : Tyres! Holy crap they went quickly!!

Lexx0r
21-04-10, 11:21 AM
My 675 only had some Pilot Sport 2Ts fitted about 2,500 miles ago! There mashed and the rear is only JUST legal!

I dont want some big heavy hard road tyre - as I know they will be terrible for performance, but then again - I need some more life than 2,500 miles - its only 500 more than I got out of the semi-slicks!

These tyres were expensive - so it came as a shock when they turnt out to be like this!!

Anyone got any recommendations?
Should I just go back to the semi-slicks? There cheap, extremely good in the dry, get about the same miles, and aint too bad in the wet!

bobf279
21-04-10, 12:00 PM
Sorry can't recommend a tyre for a 675, I have Avon Storms on my DV, but 2500 miles is pretty low and expensive

igbell
21-04-10, 12:14 PM
Sorry as riding a VFR800 it is not the same sort of tyre that you will use compared to the ones I use, as I use the dual compound Bridgestones.

R1chie
21-04-10, 12:33 PM
Do you mean Pilot Power 2CT's?

If you've mashed them up on a 675 with just road riding I'd suggest your tyre pressures are wrong.

ONF1RE
21-04-10, 01:50 PM
Got about the same miles on the rear 'OEM Qualifiers' on the Road [smiley=huh.gif]

Davey
21-04-10, 02:15 PM
We ran the Maxxis supersport on the 675 and was very impressed - especially with the price. Also a few endurance teams ran them for the season.

But I would check the pressures but then again I can mash tyres in less time

Lexx0r
21-04-10, 04:46 PM
Do you mean Pilot Power 2CT's?

If you've mashed them up on a 675 with just road riding I'd suggest your tyre pressures are wrong.

Its mainly motorway work that seems to have mashed them up! The edges are holding pretty well -despite being used alot!

What pressures would you reccomend? I am using Fowlers pressures they told me - which is 35/36

wiltshire builders
21-04-10, 05:17 PM
If you're only riding on the road then a harder compound tyre isn't going to make much difference when you press on a bit. The chances of an average rider reaching the grip limits of a tyre on the road is pretty remote. I found the continental sport attack pretty hard wearing and had a good profile for dropping the bike into corners quickly. Motorway riding will destroy a soft tyre so either go for a harder compound, swallow the cost or stop riding on the motorway.

Davey
21-04-10, 05:20 PM
aaaaahhhhhhh when you said mashed I thought all the way and worn not squared off! Get some dual or tri compound tyres - soft stuff is crap for motorways and will get destroyed/ squared off in no time.

R1chie
21-04-10, 05:38 PM
Yeah, like Stu, I thought you meant mashed mashed not squared off.

Looks like you've got a tough choice of tyre now if you are regularly doing motorway miles.

Maybe the commuting/touring bods amongst us can suggest a tyre

Mark_Able
21-04-10, 07:56 PM
Don't ride on motorways... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

bobf279
21-04-10, 08:20 PM
motorways are boring anyway

igbell
21-04-10, 09:35 PM
1) Dont do motorways unless you really have to, like if I am going to Bristol or London I try and use the A4 as it is the same road but more fun.
2) Dual or tri compound were made for running on say like motorways, as they make the middle tougher and harder so they dont square off as much.

finbar
22-04-10, 01:47 PM
If used on the road only go for Avon Storms Ultras new dual compound.

If you venture on the track a little upto inter group, go for the new Avon Viper VP2 dual compound again.

Used them both on a gsxr 1000 with great results...british tyres, on a british bike! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Keep some poor spud in Melksham in a job, can't see any reason not to buy really. I run Storms on the road now for all the reasons you mentioned, it is nice to be able to go for a ride and not have to worry about wearing your tyres out. Got 1.5 k from a Brigdestone bt14 rear :o

wiltshire builders
25-04-10, 07:23 PM

If you venture on the track a little upto inter group, go for the new Avon Viper VP2 dual compound again.

Used them both on a gsxr 1000 with great results...british tyres, on a british bike! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Keep some poor spud in Melksham in a job, can't see any reason not to buy really. I run Storms on the road now for all the reasons you mentioned, it is nice to be able to go for a ride and not have to worry about wearing your tyres out. Got 1.5 k from a Brigdestone bt14 rear :o
*American tyres

slowr1der
25-04-10, 07:49 PM

Good for grasstracking as well i have heard ;D

bobf279
25-04-10, 09:08 PM
My next tyres will be the Avon Storm 2 Ultra, heard good things about them..........good to know they are good off road too ;)

Jon_W
26-04-10, 08:14 AM
I use Bridgestone 020's. Excellent all rounders. Good grip and feel plus excellent life.

FJ_Biker
26-04-10, 07:39 PM
I use Avon Azaros with a touring compound on my FJ. I use my bike for commuting so a good 80% of the miles are motorway miles. The tyres are good enough to get the pegs down.

I only buy Avon tyres as I hope I am keeping British workers employed.

Mark_Able
27-04-10, 09:19 PM
I use Avon Azaros with a touring compound on my FJ. I use my bike for commuting so a good 80% of the miles are motorway miles. The tyres are good enough to get the pegs down.

I only buy Avon tyres as I hope I am keeping British workers employed.

I wouldn't try cranking it over in the wet. Good dry weather/long life tyre. Bloody scary in the wet. :o

jonnydangerous
11-05-10, 02:00 PM
i've also run Avon Storm rears on a GSXR thou, and can agree, got good mileage, no slips and good in the wet too. :-)

i think the hint here is dont buy anthing with "Sport" in the name for road use....

unless you want to buy some of my part worns from the for sale section..... :-)

ive just done 2300 miles on Michelin Pilot Powers on a GSXR thou (including a "Few" wheelies ::), top speed runs :o, motorway miles to wales and back) with 42 psi rear tyre pressure......

id have thought your 2ct's should have lasted a bit better........