PDA

View Full Version : clutch levers

Beamer
17-05-10, 10:16 PM
Ummmm............ any ideas about fitting new clutch levers on a yamaha 125??.........will it need bleeding??...............thick moo asking

;D :-[ ;D

Nokesy
17-05-10, 10:17 PM
I must be a 'thick moo' too - can't offer you any advice! ;D Sorry! Plenty of knowledgeable peeps on here who will be able to though! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Beamer
17-05-10, 10:20 PM
lol....thanx for answering anyway flower lol xxx

;D

Robf
17-05-10, 10:30 PM
If your changing the clutch lever you don't need to bleed anything in fact same with a brake lever, as far as I know but i've only done things like this on my Honda cg 125. Bu I wouldn't hav thought it to be any different

Toph
17-05-10, 10:37 PM
Hope I'm right on this coz I'm not certain Beamer,but I'm pretty sure the yamaha (YBR?) 125 doesn't have a hydraulic clutch so no bleeding will be needed. I t has a cable operated clutch so to change the clutch lever you just have to undo the tensioner on the cable, undo the bolt holding the lever on. unclip the cable by pulling out the nipple past the slotin the lever.remove old lever ,then bolt on new lever. Then simply reverse the procedure, tension up the cable and it's done. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Kevinb
18-05-10, 08:44 AM
Ride it to Pheonix and ask them nicely if they will change it, ask them for how much and they will probably do it for nothing if you are lucky (big smile at the mechanic)

Morticia
18-05-10, 09:39 AM
Tina, PM jonneyflame. He changed my cbr's, both levers cos they were too big for my tiny hands. And he'll do it for you too, if you live around.

Jon_W
18-05-10, 09:40 AM
Changing levers is pretty straightfoward...

Hydraulic
remove any gaiters or covers over the lever
Remove light or inhibit switches noting how they fit
Remove nut + bolt holding lever
Replace lever
Grease Pivot bolt + lever pivot + where it pushes on to master cylinder
Refit in reverse order

Cable
Remove gaitors and covers from lever
Remove light or inhibit switches noting how the fit
Not the amount of freeplay in the lever
Slacken cable right off at handlebar + align slots in cable holder, nut and lever
Remove nut + bolt holding lever
Remove lever, turning 90 degrees away from the bars + removing cable and pull lever up to disengage cable from lever (use the slots to remove the cable)
DO NOT pull voilently. If it won't go with a bit of a pull, find some more slack
Replace lever in reverse of above.
Grease pivot bolt + cable nipple + lever pivot
Adjust cable tensioner by handlebars to get the same amout of freeplay as at start. Do up locknut to finish.

If all else fails go to dealer, smile sweatly and ask them to do it. Most will do it there and then for little or no fee.

silly_simon
18-05-10, 07:33 PM
No bleeding required for levers, Only if you are changing the master cylinders at the same time.

If its a 125 then as far as i know there arn't any with hydralic clutches [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

If you need a hand send me a message and i'll see if i can get over for 15 or so min's

Beamer
18-05-10, 08:59 PM
thank you all so much for the advice.....we shall have a go and see what happens lol......simon, if it all goes wrong i shall bein touch lol.......Thank you everyone xxxx

;D

Toph
19-05-10, 09:29 PM
did you get the new clutch lever on Beamer? :-?

Beamer
19-05-10, 09:57 PM
um well...it will be tomorrow....phoenix in Trowbridge are doing it for me bless them....lovely chaps lol ....thank you so much for ur advice tho xx

;D ;D

bobf279
19-05-10, 10:49 PM
replacing a cable clutch lever is pretty straight forward, but you can be sure it will be done right at Phoenix

BB
20-05-10, 07:59 AM
Top blokes @ Phoenix! 8-)

BB

Kevinb
20-05-10, 09:02 AM
um well...it will be tomorrow....phoenix in Trowbridge are doing it for me bless them....lovely chaps lol ....thank you so much for ur advice tho xx

;D ;D

I use them a lot. MOT's, servicing, tyres and even checking the oil in the MT-01 (a bit of a black art)
I did find my replacement battery was expensive but they did go around my house to fit it (That's what you call good service) and didn't charge me over the original cost of the battery.
They've also discounted clothing for me and my family.

Excellent

Beamer
20-05-10, 04:25 PM
yup....i think they're great too.....full stamp of approval lol

;D

bobf279
20-05-10, 09:18 PM
you back on the road now?

Beamer
20-05-10, 09:44 PM
yup.....sure am....whoop whoop

;D ;D