PDA

View Full Version : Overheating Issues

CBRowner
27-05-10, 02:31 AM
Hi all,

After months of sorting out Project Honda, I hoped my problems were all sorted but she's decided to now overheat everytime I go for a ride.

I've replaced the oil and filter, the coolant, the air filter etc. but, like I said she overheats.

It doesn't do it when it's just sat there for an hour or two, only when I go for a ride. I can't even go 4 miles without the needle going through the roof and that distinct smell of oil.

I've taken the fairing off to see if I have a leak but to no joy.

Anyone have any ideas or should I now just give up on the whole project and just buy a push bike? :(

Jon_W
27-05-10, 08:08 AM
Sounds like a lack of water.

Check your water pump is working.

The bike wil sit static because there is no load on the engine.

jonnydangerous
27-05-10, 08:30 AM
thermostst stuck/only partly open...????
theres a test procedure given in haynes manuals for checking thermostats...

Jon_W
27-05-10, 10:27 AM
thermostst stuck/only partly open...????
theres a test procedure given in haynes manuals for checking thermostats...

Take it out and see if it overheats.

Cemorah
27-05-10, 02:42 PM
Probably a stuck thermostat - normally they have a small bypass hole to allow a small flow of fluid to stop pressure building up - this may be enough to cool the engine at idle.

To test a thermostat put in a bowl of just boiled water it should open put in a bowl of cold water it should close - Simples [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jonnydangerous
27-05-10, 02:42 PM
but dont forget to replace it before next winter.... ;-) ( im TERRIBLE at remembering stuff like that!hahaha)....

CBRowner
27-05-10, 07:46 PM
Cheers guys.

I've not long replaced all the thermostats and sensors but they were from a scrappy but worked when I tested them both.

I'll pop into the hero's at Pheonix tomorrow and see if they've got some more and I'll replace them with new ones [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

If that doesn't work, I'll flog her for scrap :(

speedlink
27-05-10, 08:34 PM
could be an air lock?

CBRowner
27-05-10, 09:09 PM
Could be me trying to restore a 19 year old, previously unloved bike.

I think I've taken on a project that was too big for a novice and am even tempted to cut my losses :(

silly_simon
28-05-10, 04:02 PM
I'm with speedlink
It could well be an air lock, or a small blockage in the radiator :o

Did you back flush the rad before putting back together so to speak ?

BB
29-05-10, 01:30 PM
Could be me trying to restore a 19 year old, previously unloved bike.

I think I've taken on a project that was too big for a novice and am even tempted to cut my losses :(

You could do, but then you could pick up someone else's attempt to cut their losses as a replacement! :o You are so close now it has got to be worth persevering.

BB

alanTDM
29-05-10, 05:35 PM
Cant see it being thermostat as if its ok on idling for like you say an hour and not overheating then going for a ride should be ok.The fan on my bike kicks in after about 10-15mins on idle revs 1250rpm.
Lean mixture (check plugs should be a tan or grey colour) any thing that looks white ,means its running lean that will cause overheating ,have you got standard air cleaner in and are the carbs balanced?
Its also been friggin hot weather over a few days and if the engine is rebuilt it would get really hot with it being a tight engine.

Cemorah
01-06-10, 10:16 AM
Like Alan says you're too close now to give up. PM me I might be able to get down one evening to give you a hand if you like.

CBRowner
01-06-10, 11:08 AM
I've spent too much to give up. It just seems that everything I fix/replace, something else goes wrong and my budget's taking a battering. Im only £200 over my original budget but that's another £200 closer to a newer bike with fewer problems. I've saved a fortune by doing all the work myself and I've enjoyed getting my hands dirty.

I'm at the point now where I've spent more than it's worth so it may have to go on eBay as spares or repairs unless I can sort the fault for little money (this isn't a tug at the heart strings btw ;D)

CBRowner
18-06-10, 11:48 AM
I've fixed the fan (some tit wired the negative cable to the temp sensor)

I just need to replace the water pump but I don't know if I can just replace the washers?

According to the Haynes manual, it's a sealed unit and needs to be replaced as one but there's loads of spare washers online.

Could anyone varify this before I fork out almost £200 on a pump please?? [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Cemorah
18-06-10, 02:50 PM
Hi Emlyn I called down to help you with this

Before you spend your hard earned on the pump can you get a second hand one to try it first. There was a lot of oil that dropped out of that water pump which should have drained away via the hole between the seals. I for one would want to make sure that was the cause and not a damaged head gasket from serious overheating before spending this much money.

http://www.cmsnl.com/partslist.php?model_id=7263

this site shows the waterpump assembly as a complete unit. Usually these sort of things are pressed together and are not serviceable. £200.00 seems very high for a shaft & housing though

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/619-honda-1993-super-sport-CBR600F2/assemblies/10032 Shows the pump at $133.00 ~ £90.00

CBRowner
18-06-10, 03:10 PM
Hi Emlyn I called down to help you with this

Before you spend your hard earned on the pump can you get a second hand one to try it first. There was a lot of oil that dropped out of that water pump which should have drained away via the hole between the seals. I for one would want to make sure that was the cause and not a damaged head gasket from serious overheating before spending this much money.

http://www.cmsnl.com/partslist.php?model_id=7263

this site shows the waterpump assembly as a complete unit. Usually these sort of things are pressed together and are not serviceable. £200.00 seems very high for a shaft & housing though

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/619-honda-1993-super-sport-CBR600F2/assemblies/10032 Shows the pump at $133.00 ~ £90.00

I was tempted to try and replace the seals first because the actual pump looks intact and then I was going to go from there.

I'm praying that it's not a head gasket problem because I am really running out of funds on this bike and I can't afford to keep throwing good money at it.

My next option, apart from selling it for spares, is to take it to a garage and get them to do the work, which I'd rather not do because that's yet more money for a 19 year old bike :(

Cemorah
19-06-10, 12:01 PM
How are you going to replace the "waterside" seal which sits behind the impellor.

Is there a nut that hold the impellor to the shaft? I am pretty sure there wasn't so it is "rivetted" or pressed together.

furthermore if it has failed the bearing surface behind it will be shot

Too much work with too much likelihood of failure

Will this not do as a test to start with?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CBR-600-F-F1-WATER-PUMP-rf402-/230391149345?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&h ash=item35a461f321

CBRowner
20-06-10, 06:59 PM
I've actually manage to sort the problem out and have even been out on the bike today with no problems what so ever :)

I took her out for a few hours today, for the first time since I went to the Sally in April, and she got to about 3/4 on the temp gauge and the fan kicked in cooler her back down to normal temp [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

I still have an oil leak which seems to be coming from a seal just above the oil filter and that means either bodging it or removing the engine and replacing the seal unless there's another way round it :(

Thankfully though, I start work in a garage on Tuesday so after a few weeks I may mention the problem and see if they can help me out ;D