View Full Version : tyre advice please

NiteW4tcher
06-06-10, 06:24 PM
hi guys

feeling abit :-[

rear tyre is shot again

2 months 2 MONTHS :(

i dunno what tyer to get

i do alot ALOT of miles alot of that is dual carriageway work i ripp the middle out of every tyre ive had

once again being newish on sports bikes im at a loss what tyre i need

wnat something that i can trust in a corner but i need that durability

HELP please :-[

my maxxis sport tourer is now squared off :( 2 months and its gone

wiltshire builders
06-06-10, 07:31 PM
Been discussed on here alot lately and the general consensus is dual compound. Or you could swerve around a bit on the way to work.

R1chie
06-06-10, 07:58 PM
Been discussed on here alot lately and the general consensus is dual compound. Or you could swerve around a bit on the way to work.

Stop doing the dual carriageways and take the more scenic route.

Might be just cheaper buying a commuter bike in the long run though ;D

Scotty
06-06-10, 10:56 PM
...or don't be obsessed with buying a sporty tyre - do you use it for trackdays? If not, go for a more durable option, you may be surprised how much grip you can get from a less fashionable touring type tyre nowadays. Why not call up your local tyre dealer and ask their advice? It's what they do for a living, on here we can only give a layperson's opinion.

ktm_man
07-06-10, 07:07 AM
Am currently running a Pirelli Angel St on my sduke after getting through 3 sporty tires i thought it was time to try something a little more hard wearing and Ive been pleased with its performance both in the corners - felt predictable & stable & am also happy with rate of wear !

Plus Chippenham motorcycles seem to do them about 10 - 15 quid cheaper than anywhere else ive phoned up in Wilts.

jonnydangerous
07-06-10, 08:27 AM
yup, agree! sports touring tyres on the road are plenty...
used to run Avon storms on the back of my GSXR1000 and youve seen me give that a pasting.........

super stickys just seem to burn a hole in your pocket.

have you tried less throttle???...... ;-)

Jon_W
07-06-10, 10:45 AM
Sport touring tyres are more than adequate for the road and last a lot longer. I've used Bridgestone 020's throughout and never had reason to change. Excellent in all conditions and lasts ages.

Also consider smoother (and slower) riding. Accelerating, braking and conering smoothly makes a huge difference to wear rates and fuel consumption.

CBRowner
07-06-10, 01:57 PM
I've got the maxxis sports tourers on my bike and they've done me proud.

They've been on my bike for 3 months now and they look imaculate, shame I've only done 100 miles on them cos the bike's been on it's stands since getting them fitted.

But, I've heard loads of great reviews on the tyres because they are a cheaper alternative to the more expensive tyres and they are just as good.

Hopefully, I'll be able to give a better review when I get back from my 5,000mile trip around Europe in August [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jonnydangerous
07-06-10, 02:30 PM
you could ask JD, hes got loads of part worns.... ;-)

NiteW4tcher
07-06-10, 06:20 PM
i did try less throttle JD but it didnt feel natural ;D

onesoldsoul
21-06-10, 02:41 PM

make sure your tyres warm up properly first, gunning it from cold will waste any tyre away. also make sure the heat keeps getting distributed properly....ie if you havent taken a left hand bend for a while then you need to conscious that side of the tyre will be cooler...very important with tyres like 208rrs. Pirelli multi strader could be good, they are like diablos but dual compound and have more tread detail for all weathers yet retain the legendary pirelli grip.
DO NOT BUY MICHELLIN MACADAMS!!

Also if you are going through multiple rears to a front and trying different manufacturers you need to be aware that certain tyre makes front tyres force the water into the path of the back wheel (michellin) and other disperse the water out from the front so the rear has less water to disperse (most all of them do this)
Also look out for tyre deals such as 2 rears and front (popular with track day tyre vans) and stick to the ones you really want

jonnydangerous
21-06-10, 03:04 PM
or as someone mentioned earlier, ask JD, im sure he has some part worns somewhere....... ;-)

Mark_Able
21-06-10, 09:52 PM

make sure your tyres warm up properly first, gunning it from cold will waste any tyre away. also make sure the heat keeps getting distributed properly....ie if you havent taken a left hand bend for a while then you need to conscious that side of the tyre will be cooler...very important with tyres like 208rrs. Pirelli multi strader could be good, they are like diablos but dual compound and have more tread detail for all weathers yet retain the legendary pirelli grip.
DO NOT BUY MICHELLIN MACADAMS!!

Also if you are going through multiple rears to a front and trying different manufacturers you need to be aware that certain tyre makes front tyres force the water into the path of the back wheel (michellin) and other disperse the water out from the front so the rear has less water to disperse (most all of them do this)
Also look out for tyre deals such as 2 rears and front (popular with track day tyre vans) and stick to the ones you really want

Nowt wrong with macadams if you're wanting mileage... :-?

jonnydangerous
22-06-10, 07:50 AM
i once used Mac's on an FZR1000....seemd fine to me....... maybe i wasnt riding it properly... ;-)

Mark_Able
22-06-10, 09:36 PM
Original fitment on my old CBR6. Used to get 10k out of a pair! And don't think I didn't abuse them... ;)

Steve_H...
22-06-10, 10:14 PM
A lot depends on what you ride and how you ride it... Although as far as i am concerned you should be buying the best you can afford, tyres are the one part of a bike that really shouldn't be compromised on. My thoughts would be that if you use a bike for commuting and or do a lot of motorway miles, then buy the right type of bike and therefore have more options to safely use harder wearing tyres due to different stresses they are likely to encounter etc.

If your riding a supersport bike then it is quite likely at somepoint you are going to push the tyres hard... Really not worth the consequences of finding out they are not up to the job ::)