PDA

View Full Version : Engine rebuilds

CBRowner
26-06-10, 03:14 PM
Hello all,

Is there anyone on WB that is able to do an engine rebuild?

I have an oil leak from one of my gaskets and I'm not skilled enough to do the job myself :(

It'll need doing before I go out on it unless there's a quick short term fix to the problem.

It's only a small slit in the gasket but it's enough to let the oil flow out slowly when the engine's hot.

Any idea's of the best thing for it or is it a match in the fuel tank sort of job?? :'(

Morticia
26-06-10, 05:53 PM
Dude, you gotta PM Jonneyflame, he is GOD! Which makes me the virgin Mary??? LOL!!! ;D

He's done just about anything to both my sv and cbr, if he can't help, he should be able to give you a tip or two.

CBRowner
26-06-10, 05:58 PM
I can't afford it really but it's got to be done.

I was going to get an engine sealant for the tiny hole just so I can get it through an MOT :(

Cemorah
27-06-10, 08:46 AM
Where is the leak? can you take a photo?
does it need a full rebuild? ie crank cases or cylinder head or is it a peripheral part like the oil cooler assembly or side plate?-which is a simple job

CBRowner
27-06-10, 07:01 PM
Where is the leak? can you take a photo?
does it need a full rebuild? ie crank cases or cylinder head or is it a peripheral part like the oil cooler assembly or side plate?-which is a simple job

I can get a photo to you.

The oil leak's coming from the gasket just below the main cylinder head so it's not a simple job :(

The mechanic I work with has told me that I can buy a sealant that goes in the oil and fills any holes and if I use that, with an external sealant, I should be ok but I'll never be able to take it on track days, not that I was planning it anyway ;D

silly_simon
27-06-10, 07:42 PM
Are you saying it is coming from the head gasket ?
If so then a full engine rebuild wouldn't be needed surely ?

CBRowner
27-06-10, 07:43 PM
Are you saying it is coming from the head gasket ?
If so then a full engine rebuild wouldn't be needed surely ?

It's coming from the gasket below the head gasket [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

silly_simon
27-06-10, 07:46 PM
Mail me a pic Emlyn [smiley=thumbsup.gif] and i'll have a looksy

CBRowner
27-06-10, 07:49 PM
Cheers Simon.

If I was more technically minded, I'd tell you the exact location and what the part's called but I'm useless when it comes to that which is why I've started at a garage to help me improve my skills because my Haynes manual can only teach me so much ;D

You're more than welcome to have a quick look, I live near you anyway [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

silly_simon
27-06-10, 07:52 PM
Ok mate email me the picture and i'll take a look [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

no good me popping over if its something I can't/wouldn't be able to do/complete :-? if you get my drift

CBRowner
27-06-10, 07:54 PM
I'm going to try the halfords options first and see if that'll sort the problem.

I'm guessing it was caused by the winter weather, especially as I had no problems in Gib :(

silly_simon
27-06-10, 07:59 PM
I have had a quick google search for a piccie of cbr engines and if i'm looking right there are three gaskets,
1. Rocker cover
2. Head
3. Sump

Obviously there are gaskets on the various cover's but that's what I can see unless i'm missing sommat [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CBRowner
27-06-10, 08:03 PM
I have 4 on mine

A top one, one just below it, one below that and I'm guessing the sump one.

If you look at a bike's engine, the leaks coming from the gasket that's at the same height as the centre of the clutch cover.

Sorry I can't be of anymore help but I really am a sh*te mechanic :(

silly_simon
27-06-10, 08:07 PM
Nope your not usless mate ;D

That is the crankcase gasket, was me I wasn't looking close enough as you are right there are 4 altogether [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

But unfortunately I do believe it is a engine out job then a strip down to split the case's to replace the offending gasket :(

sorry mate I couldn't be of more help

CBRowner
27-06-10, 08:11 PM
No worries.

I'll try the options available to me first before I spend loads on the engine being removed :(

Cheers for the help anyway [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Morticia
27-06-10, 10:25 PM
I can't afford it really but it's got to be done.

I was going to get an engine sealant for the tiny hole just so I can get it through an MOT :(

Steve's always fixed them cheap, he searches and searches and searches again till he finds the cheapest deal.

CBRowner
27-06-10, 10:31 PM
I'll probably be able to get it done at the garage I work in on my days off.

Hopefully that's the case because the bike's looking alot like a garden feature at the moment :(

Morticia
27-06-10, 11:16 PM
I was talking to a guy at the pub yesterday that has a triumph on his living room, says his cats love it...

CBRowner
28-06-10, 12:16 AM
My landlord's going to go nuts when he see's his garden when it rains.

Then again, I don't care cos he's making me homeless because he wants to sell up even though I may be shipped off to Afghan at the same time I'm needed out the house >:(

jonnydangerous
28-06-10, 08:21 AM
id rebuild it for you but it might be returned with a turbo kit, or a ported head and high lift cams with a bore kit.....hahaha :-)
and a big bill! ;D

Jacde
28-06-10, 12:03 PM
Cor I'd love to rebuild an engine, wouldn't have a scooby where to start though! :-/

jonnydangerous
28-06-10, 12:36 PM
Start by taking it to bits........ ;D

Jon_W
28-06-10, 12:50 PM

The loose a good proportion..... ;D

Jacde
28-06-10, 01:38 PM

::)
I know I said I didn't have a scooby, well I KNOW you take it to bits and some might...

The loose a good proportion..... ;D

And then you put it back together, I just don't know all the bits in between ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nokesy
28-06-10, 02:04 PM
Sounds like a fun game though on someone else's bike! ;D Good way to learn [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Maybe you and me Jackie should buy a really cheap bike, take it apart and re-build it so that we can learn everything there is to know about bikes!! Then we could visit this section on the forum and actually have something useful to say! ;D

jonnydangerous
28-06-10, 02:05 PM
buy lots of buckets for all the bits you have left over................... ;D

seriously tho, buy yourself a cheap offroader and have a look, easy to service, modify, look after..... :)

Nokesy
28-06-10, 02:09 PM
lol - like a 'bike' sized bucket!! ;D

jonnydangerous
28-06-10, 02:14 PM
more "wheelie bin" sized, yeah.... ;-)

Jon_W
28-06-10, 02:58 PM
buy lots of buckets for all the bits you have left over................... ;D

seriously tho, buy yourself a cheap offroader and have a look, easy to service, modify, look after..... :)

Am with above. No better way to learn than with the real thing.

Get a cheap nail, if you get it running great, if you don't you've had the fun and flog the bits left!!

Buckets for storing bike parts is good.... along with 'baccy tins. [smiley=happy.gif]

jonnydangerous
28-06-10, 03:27 PM
i use my "Shed" for storing bike engine parts.....when you put it back together all the parts are in there.....somewhere..... :'(

Jon_W
28-06-10, 03:32 PM
The problem with sheds is that you have to fill them... with as much as possible! :P

Jacde
28-06-10, 03:35 PM
Yeah baby I like that idea, I know we could use Project Emlyn ;D ;D ;D
Seriously I'm up for it, hey I've got green hands at the mo so I'm not precious about getting them even dirtier [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jonnydangerous
28-06-10, 03:49 PM
i think Jon W has just (been?) volunteered.... ;-)

Jacde
28-06-10, 04:18 PM
Thats's very nice of Jon W ;D

CBRowner
28-06-10, 07:05 PM
I'm stripping the engine down this week, I've decided that I bought the bike as a Project/hobby and I know I can make the money back selling all the parts on it.

Firstly I'm going to try the quick fix, because it's been recomended by aircraft technicians and a few mechanics, if that doesn't work then it'll be me with a my trusty Haynes manual, a recomended wheelie bin for bits that don't seem to have a home anymore, a swear jar and a great big mallet for when it all goes wrong ;D

Once I've finished, I'll stick it on eBay in France or somewhere and then go into hidding ;)

If I still don't get any joy, I'll hold a voodoo style ritual by setting the bike alight and dancing round the f**king thing [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jonnydangerous
29-06-10, 08:51 AM
be really careful with anything that "Bungs up small holes" in the oil system........there are teeeeeeeeny jets from the feed to the crank that are aimed at the bore walls, these lubricate the bores and cool the underside of the piston, and REALLY dont want to be blocked.... if you block these il give your motor about 5 minutes till its a shiney boat anchor.....

bodging it with a sealant isnt really a good idea.....if you strip the motor you can do a few free mods as well at the same time, gaskets and oil will be less that £100 and youll have a good motor at the end of it....AND youll have the satisfaction of fixing it properly yourself...

if its Fecked, what have you got to lose?????.....

jonneyflame
30-06-10, 10:14 AM
hi mate, I dont know where you live but im in dorset, blandford if you can get the bike to me id be happy to sort it for you, i did a complete bike rebuild on morticias FX CBR (although i need to sort the fuel pump out now it always seems to be somthing with her bike lol). give me a pm if your interested.

cheers ;)

Morticia
30-06-10, 11:30 AM
it always seems to be somthing with her bike lol)

errr, that'd be me :D

jonnydangerous
01-07-10, 12:33 PM
and while the cylinder heads off it could take a trip to "Jaydee's engine tuning shed" in Tidworth???...... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CBRowner
01-07-10, 05:10 PM
and while the cylinder heads off it could take a trip to "Jaydee's engine tuning shed" in Tidworth???...... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Sounds like a plan [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I've fired the turd up and she's no longer leaking so I can now get her through an MOT and then take her to Steve (Jonneyflame) for a rebuild and it sounds like Jaydee's stealing her to make her run better.

All I need now is a balaclava, a bank and then I can afford all this ;D