PDA

View Full Version : Bike advice

silly_simon
03-07-10, 09:07 PM
Right then,
I am just shy of 6ft tall and ride a FZ6 fazer [smiley=happy.gif]

I was wondering what other bikes would be a better size for me as i'm finding the Yam a little cramped and after a while I get pain in my legs :(

I can't say for definate though that the seat may have been "adjusted" for a Lady rider (previous owner) and without another one to try i'm a little stuffed.

Unfortunately due to surgery on my spine a few years ago I can't ride the sportsbikes :'( so any suggestions guys and girl's for a possible replacement ?

I've had a 600 bandit, cbr600 and two of the earlier fazers.

I'm just at a complete loss as to what todo as I like the FZ6 but can't afford the FZ1 :o

Any advice greatly appreciated

Nokesy
03-07-10, 09:11 PM
How about a tourer style? My ex-partner was 6ft 3 and found the most comfortable bikes to be TDM, Blackbird and BMW GS - he looked a bit silly on anything smaller to be honest! ;D All good bikes if you want to take pillions too [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

slowr1der
03-07-10, 10:55 PM
How about a tourer style? My ex-partner was 6ft 3 and found the most comfortable bikes to be TDM, Blackbird and BMW GS - he looked a bit silly on anything smaller to be honest! ;D All good bikes if you want to take pillions too [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I was led to believe he was about 5 foot 9, balding/shaved head and rather rotund............the bleeding fibber

Nokesy
04-07-10, 06:46 AM

I was led to believe he was about 5 foot 9, balding/shaved head and rather rotund............the bleeding fibber

To become an 'ex' you have to first become a 'couple' I believe! ;D

slowr1der
04-07-10, 11:06 AM
LOL that is a very very valid point [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ;D ;D

wiltshire builders
04-07-10, 06:27 PM
Same here 6ft, history of back problems and achey joints. Had a go on a mates Tuono and loved it. If you love sports bikes it's a great compromise as it's just a naked Mille with bar risers.
Surprised you find the fazer cramped. How about some rear sets? Also i can't recommend stretching enough. Hamstrings, Glutes and lower back. I'm sure Mortischa could advise you better than me.

silly_simon
04-07-10, 09:25 PM
I must admit after going for a jolly jaunt by meself and just having a bit of fun on some local road's, also using nearly half a tank of fuel I am feeling a bit happier about the bike [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I think in all honesty because the R6 engine (albeit detuned a little )
Is such a revvy engine, and the fact it has an ally frame I don't think I have enough confidence in the bike :(
apart from the CBR I had for a very short time my other bikes have had steel frames and felt "heavier" so I think they felt more planted on the road, probably because they were heavier.

I think I am tensing up to much and the result is a load of ache's and pains :'(

I did have a look at rearset's but crikey they are expensive :o so I may go for a Gel seat pad instead to just give me the extra little distance between seat and peg's. And gain a little extra comfort at the same time :)

wiltshire builders
05-07-10, 07:29 AM
Yeah relaxing is the key. If you tense up all the bumps go through you then transfer back to the bike making it even worse. Glad you're feeling better about the bike.

Kevinb
05-07-10, 08:38 AM
How about a Yamaha MT-03 or a 2nd hand MT-01. Great bikes loads of room (I'm 6'5")?

silly_simon
05-07-10, 05:14 PM
Kev
If I could afford to change It would be for Gen 1 Fazer Thousand as the frame dimensions are that bit bigger :)

But at the moment fund's don't allow so am looking at cheaper alternatives [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Not bikes but other options

Mark_Able
05-07-10, 07:44 PM
I must admit after going for a jolly jaunt by meself and just having a bit of fun on some local road's, also using nearly half a tank of fuel I am feeling a bit happier about the bike [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Is such a revvy engine, and the fact it has an ally frame I don't think I have enough confidence in the bike :(
apart from the CBR I had for a very short time my other bikes have had steel frames and felt "heavier" so I think they felt more planted on the road, probably because they were heavier.

I think I am tensing up to much and the result is a load of ache's and pains :'(

I did have a look at rearset's but crikey they are expensive :o so I may go for a Gel seat pad instead to just give me the extra little distance between seat and peg's. And gain a little extra comfort at the same time :)

Relaxing is the key. You could have an armchair of a bike, but if you're tense, it'll still be uncomfortable. Try gripping the tank with your legs. In turn, this allows you to relax your upper body. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Beamer
05-07-10, 10:01 PM

Relaxing is the key. You could have an armchair of a bike, but if you're tense, it'll still be uncomfortable. Try gripping the tank with your legs. In turn, this allows you to relax your upper body. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I actually remembered you saying that when I was I went out with you a few weeks ago. My right hand had gone numb on the way to Avebury on Saturday...... I could almost hear you saying it lol ....good advice as always lol [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

wiltshire builders
05-07-10, 10:35 PM
Don't forget simple adjustments to leavers can make all the difference too. Just because it came like it doesn't mean it's right.

Jon_W
06-07-10, 03:51 PM
Don't forget simple adjustments to leavers can make all the difference too. Just because it came like it doesn't mean it's right.

Am with the above.... Adjusting the angle of the bars, position and span of the levers and foot pedals as well suspension tweaks will make a big difference to the feel of the bike.

Is easier to concentrate on the road and ridinf when everthing is in easy reach.