PDA

View Full Version : theory test

Toph
15-06-10, 11:43 PM
I'm soon to be taking my theory test, my 17 year old daughter has got to book in for her car theory test, so I've decided to "bite the bullet" and take my bike theory test on the same day.After 35 years of riding 125's on "L" plates, I've decided (after joining this forum) that I would really like a bigger bike so I can go on ride-outs with you guys!! the DAS test holds no fears for me at all because after 35 years of daily commuting on a 125, I know I can ride a bike. The thought of sitting in a classroom doing theory and hazard perception scares the sh.t out of me, even though I've taken the test online many times and passed it every time. Is it as easy in the classroom as it is online?? ....... signed a 50 year old who hates classrooms. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

AlanMc
16-06-10, 12:09 AM
yes, its a 1 to 1 with a computer, you will be fine [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jacde
16-06-10, 12:52 AM
Toph
As V1per said you'll be fine, seeing there was no such thing as a theory test when I learnt to drive I was a tad concerned about the theory and hazard perception tests but they really weren't as bad as I thought.
You have your own pc as V1per said, I reckon you'll do the theory in 30 minutes, and the hazard perception in about 15 minutes. just take your time, read questions twice and you can double check them before you finish which is what I chose to do and ended up changing two of my answers. In the hazard perception test you watch 14 individual video clips, and it's not as difficult as I thought it would be.
If you are a 'good' road user already you shouldn't have a problem [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Just adding, I say it's easier in 'classroom' as quality was much better on their pc's than on the online tests I used, (but I didn't pay for the online ones as I'm tight :-[ ) ;D

wiltshire builders
16-06-10, 07:13 AM
Be careful how soon you register hazzards on the awareness test. It's designed for people new to the road and as a seasoned road user you will be seeing hazzards quicker. I know people who've scored badly because their second "click" has been registered as their first because they did it too early.

Good luck

BB
16-06-10, 08:02 AM
Go for it Toph, keep us posted

Good luck [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

Nico_babe
16-06-10, 09:12 AM
You will do GREAT! Try not to be nervous. The only thing you should be worried about is whether you know your stuff or not, and if you do then you are already at the finish line, its just a case of showing the computer :)

nicko@able
16-06-10, 09:44 AM
I did my theory test for the car this year.Jacde said to read the questions twice,thats the best advice,as sometimes they word the questions badly.I found the computers a bit more sensitive.On the hazard perception side they blanked me a couple of times,I`ts just cos we regard a lot of different things as `hazards`,not just the things they do.Relax,you`ll be fine. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

RichardJH
17-06-10, 01:28 AM
I passed my theory test a few weeks ago and tbh it is very straight forward. But I would reccomend getting a disk from asda £7 I paid just for the hazard perception because there is a knack to it. ;)

But I am sure with all you're experience you will be fine!

Nokesy
17-06-10, 09:10 AM
Best of luck Toph - I have no doubt you will be just fine [smiley=thumbsup.gif] I, too, would recommend getting the disc to practice with too though - just makes everything seem more familiar on the day :)

Jacde
26-06-10, 01:29 AM
Hi Toph, you got a date for your theory yet? :)

Toph
26-06-10, 07:01 AM
Hi Jackie, you were up late last night! ;D
Still waiting for my daughter, when she's ready to take it we'll book it.
It'll be so much easier if we can both take it on the same day. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] How's your training going? :-?( on the motorbike and the pushbike)

CBRowner
26-06-10, 07:16 AM
Hi Jackie, you were up late last night! ;D
Still waiting for my daughter, when she's ready to take it we'll book it.
It'll be so much easier if we can both take it on the same day. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ha ha, no pressure then. I don't think she'd let you forget it if she did better, you'll just have to dock her pocket money if she rubs it in [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Good luck with it though :)

Toph
26-06-10, 07:25 AM
I never thought of that scenario!! ;D
what if she passes and I fail?? ;D
there will be some p.ss taking going on then!!! :'( ;D

CBRowner
26-06-10, 07:29 AM
I didn't want to say the dreaded 'Fail' word because I'm sure you're nervous enough without some pillock making you worse ;D

Like I said, just dock her pocket money and take her mobile off her ;D

Toph
26-06-10, 07:40 AM
Her mobile would have to be surgically removed!! ;D

Jacde
26-06-10, 07:54 AM
Morning Toph, up late because I am currently working nights boooooo :(
both lots of biking coming along well, thank you for asking :) over 35 miles along the Ridgeway last week with two unplanned dismounts, I have lots of brusing.
Motorbiking all of a sudden seems to have clicked into place, so Mod 1 should be looming large on the horizon ;D :o :o

newnut
23-07-10, 01:07 PM
you booked that test yet? its pretty easy, you can practise on here http://www.all4bikers.com/theory/ the multiple choice questions, they ARE the same as the newest questions. The best advice I can give on the hazard perception is listen very carefully to the instructions, being on the road already on a bike should make that part no problem whatsoever to you. Pass marks you need are... Multiple choice, you need 43 correct out of 50. For the hazard perception you need 44 out of 75!
oh and good luck to both you and your daughter!

silly_simon
23-07-10, 07:39 PM
Bugger I failed the one test I did :o

Good job I didn't have to do it otherwise I'd probably fail miserably :P

Best of luck to both of you [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Toph
24-07-10, 09:38 PM
Many thanks to Newnut for posting the link, tried it many times, are these the actual questions on the official test? they seen pretty straight forward. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
best of luck mate on your mod 1. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

newnut
25-07-10, 11:52 AM
they are the exact same questions mate. evan layed out the same and same colour writing!

Jacde
25-07-10, 05:20 PM
Toph
You'll do fine on your theory, [smiley=thumbsup.gif] just take your time answering the questions, I think they are aimed more at a complete novice and not at people who are already road users.
p.s my Mod 1 is soon 8-)

newnut
25-07-10, 08:04 PM
i just kept practising on that site till i was getting a score of 49 - 50 every time. i remember one question on the test that i didnt see in that online mock exam, that was if a pedestrian wears a red band on their arm? (or summit like that) are they blind, deaf, blah or blah. still dont know the answer, but take note if you get it in the practise ones.

Nokesy
26-07-10, 12:51 PM
When is it then Toph? Must be soon............... (unless you are putting it off........ ;))

Toph
26-07-10, 01:29 PM
I'm off to Turkey on my hols in 3 weeks, when I get back it's top of my "to do" list :) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
I've been practising the test, I get 48 or better every time now!!! 8-)

Nokesy
26-07-10, 03:31 PM
Make sure it stays 'top' of that list Toph!! ;) Especially with scores like that - you'll easily walk it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Toph
26-07-10, 06:09 PM
thanks Gemma, I'll get it sorted! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
can't wait to pass my test and come on some more rideouts. :D 8-)