PDA

View Full Version : Rust, Engine Cleaning and Wheel Resprays

CBRowner
18-06-10, 09:18 AM
Howdy fellow WBers,

I'm almost done sorting out Project Honda, although I'm sure I've said those lines before, and I'd like to tidy the old girl up a bit because she's looking a little rough around the edges for a 19 year old.

My first query is - What's the best product for sorting rust and protecting the area?

Secondly - What's the best/easiest way to clean the outside of an engine?

Thirdly - Does anyone know where I can get my wheels repainted?
I'd use the person who did my mini wheels but I'd like the paint to stay on the wheels for more than a few days >:(

Cheers [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BoatingBiker
18-06-10, 05:28 PM
I had my engine soda blasted by a guy at Jack's Bush on the Salisbury - Andover road - Goole Soda Blasting Jacks Bush will find him. Small unit on a farm does work for the local MOD i believe and not too costly

CBRowner
18-06-10, 05:32 PM
I had my engine soda blasted by a guy at Jack's Bush on the Salisbury - Andover road - Goole Soda Blasting Jacks Bush will find him. Small unit on a farm does work for the local MOD i believe and not too costly

Might be able to get an MOD discount myself. Thanks for the info, I'll give them a ring once the bike's moving again [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Toph
19-06-10, 01:02 PM
the best place in the trowbridge area for painting, stove enamelling or polyester coating is a firm called Azcoat. you'll find it in Hilperton at marsh farm , It's run by a guy called Az, (funnily enough!) who is the nicest, most helpful guy you could ever meet. We get all our coating at work done by him and the quality of his work is fantastic.He also does shotblasting as well . I cannot recommend him highly enough. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

spudgun
19-06-10, 03:58 PM
clean the engine with a can of brake cleaner first, gets all the crud off

wheels, i can recommend Realitysparkleworks in Bristol and there's a place in cheney manor i think - not used them but heard good things

Siddle
04-08-10, 05:25 PM
Hello to you all! This is my first post and unfortunately it is to comment on my unhappy experience with the services of AZCoatings. I asked for a price and was given one but when the work came back and I pointed out that it was far from satisfactory (black flecks in white wheels for one thing) I was told that I was 'too fussy' and that the work was good for the price I had paid.
I had asked for a price NOT the cheapest level of finish. I was given a price and was NOT told nor expected the quality would be compromised. To then use the price as an excuse for unsatisfactory work is out of order in my opinion. I could say more...

CBRowner
09-08-10, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up Siddle, I'll bear that in mind when I come to get the wheels done [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

First of all I need to get the bike up and running before I even consider getting my heap of sh*t resprayed :D

newnut
09-08-10, 10:41 PM
i think you need some of that stuff called elbow grease, but i cant find any in halfords or anywhere, which is why my bike is so dirty! a place in reading cleans bikes for you while you walk round the town for a small fee. they also cover it in a weather shield too! i'll give a report on them when i've bothered my ass with giving them the privilage of polishing my wheels.

zachl
12-08-10, 10:43 PM
in regards to the wheels, i use a guy that works for an accident repair type place and freelances cash in hand at the weekends, he is in trowbridge,

as a price guide he did my entire cbr 600 plastics and wheels including some fibreglassing for around £250 and he has just done 2 bumper for my car including fibreglassing the parking sensors out and 2 wing mirrors for £150

pm me if you want his number :)

Siddle
17-08-10, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the heads up Siddle, I'll bear that in mind when I come to get the wheels done [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

First of all I need to get the bike up and running before I even consider getting my heap of sh*t resprayed :D

No problem, I just don't want other people to go through what I did. He was friendly enough until I pointed out (quite rightly) the areas that were lacking in quality and to be fobbed off with excuses was not nice. The only solution offered was for me to pay to have the parts done again, scandalous. Because I had paid him cash I felt like I did not have the grounds to take it further so I have found somewhere else where the quality is good and the service is genuine and reasonable - MDN on the A361 out of Devizes, I only wish I had gone there first! They had heard of this bloke and the comments were far from complimentary...

The thing is I saw some of his work on another forum and so had no reason to expect anything other than a good job, he was only a little cheaper than two other places I got prices from so there was nothing suspicious about the price either, I felt like I did my homework and so feel really let down by him.

Sorry for going on a bit, good luck getting it done and have a good look around. I am sure it won't be a heap of **** by the time you get it sorted!!! Cheers [smiley=thumbsup.gif]