PDA

View Full Version : Tank damage

Nokesy
24-08-10, 11:38 AM
Does anyone know if there is any crud inside a tank eg. rust that would become dislodged into the fuel during a heavy smash?

pilninggas
24-08-10, 11:54 AM
take a look inside, via the filler, and see. If the tank is rusty (most modern jap bikes are very rust resistant in the fuel-vapour rich tank), then just have any fuel filters replaced. If it looks okay, then probably no need to worry.

If you are really worried (or someone has at some point removed the fuel filters), and the bike has carbs you could always drain the float chambers.

jonnydangerous
24-08-10, 12:20 PM
unfortunately, the steel that they used to make the Bandit tanks from wasnt the best (the gsx750x ones were even worse!)...
take out the bolts holding the fuel tap (watch out, they may snap off where they have rusted in) and remove the fuel pick up pipe. this will have a filter on it and will show you the extent of the muck/rust in the tank. the primary filter will only catch large flakes, and will allow rusty powder suspended in the fuel through to accumulate in your carbs.
i have used "PetSeal" before with good results, but youll need the large kit for a bandit tank.....
if you snap off the bolts in the bottom of the tank, it can be repaired by drilling and tapping.

tanks can be cleaned out quite easily tho.

is the bike running? or did it cut out and now wont run????.....
the fuel injected bikes have a tilt switch that cuts the engine if they fall over, not sure if the bandit has this, but worth checking if yours wont start now, either that or its just flooded up......

jonnydangerous
24-08-10, 12:22 PM
or you could get your bro to fix it...... :-)

Nokesy
24-08-10, 12:29 PM
Thanks both for advice :)

JD - bike starts fine - Gerry rode it to the pub afterwards. Strangely enough, I didn't want to! ;D

Given the state of it outside and the likelihood there's loose crud in the inside - reckon best bet is new tank [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

spudgun
24-08-10, 12:57 PM
i have a bandit 600 tank i use for practicing my airbrushing on, covered in the joker at the moment, but i could soon make it shiny black again, if you need a spare
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/spudgun_01/th_joker2.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/spudgun_01/?action=view&current=joker2.jpg)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/spudgun_01/joker3.jpg

Nokesy
24-08-10, 01:04 PM
Hey Spudgun - is it a Mk2 one?

spudgun
24-08-10, 01:06 PM
not got a clue, if you know how to tell i can have a look

Gerry
24-08-10, 01:40 PM
If the one in the pic is a Bandit GSF 600 then it's a MK2 type (the one Gemma needs) the MK1 has a curvy tail on it.

I'm sure Gemma would grab your arm off if it was shiney black !

Thanks for the help.
Cheers
G

Jon_W
24-08-10, 01:48 PM
I would strongly suspect the tank is Ok. Any dirt and crud in a fuel tank will be stirred up by the riding of the bike... so you would have had problems by now. If you are unsure clen the tank out and JD says. Better safe than sorry.

Nokesy
25-08-10, 11:30 AM
New tank sorted - with big thanks to Spudgun [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB
25-08-10, 07:22 PM
New tank sorted - with big thanks to Spudgun [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

You leaving the Joker on there, Nokesey? :D

BB

spudgun
25-08-10, 08:01 PM
hope not, scrubbed it off tonight, will be shiny black