PDA

View Full Version : Filtering Traffic

Bennett
18-03-10, 12:22 AM
So, seen so many bikers do it, yet, I still haven't tryed it.

When can I filter through traffic?
How?
Who can?
What do I do/have to do?
Where can I do it?

:D:D:D 8-)

TY

Jon_W
18-03-10, 09:12 AM
Am not sure of the legal issue here... as far as I'm aware filtering is a grey area. I tend not to pass the first car in a que so as not to gain road position... but this may be no more than a superstition on my part.

How?? Slowly and carefully. Remember, people can do the most random things. Be visable. Don't be in a rush.

What do you do / have to do??? Take great care. Only go if you are certian not to get stuck.

Where?? Where is safe and you feel confident. Obviously blind bends and very narrow roads are no-no's. Use common sense is my advise.

Chappers
18-03-10, 11:28 AM
insurance companies don't like it and cars change lanes in stalled / slow moving traffic very quickly without looking or indicating, so you and only you need to weigh up the risk / benefit of doing it each time.

legally it is a well fought over area as it isn't expressly prohibited but there are other laws (careless or dangerous driving, undertaking etc) that can be judiciously argued by the feds and insurance companies to suit their argument.

that's all in my experience / opinion of course. search most biking forums and there will be plenty of questions like this and even more threads about crashes whilst filtering :'(

FJ_Biker
18-03-10, 05:03 PM
I filter most days in Swindon traffic as I commute on my bike.

I think Jon sums things up nicely, remember keep within your comfort zone accidents hurt!

Davey
18-03-10, 05:10 PM
Its not illegal and actually states about filtering in the highway code. Always a good one to pull if an accident occurs as the insurance solicitors are out for an easy life and will easily roll over ref this.

Just be sensible, not too quick and be defensive and you'll be fine - if they try to pull out fist into window or swift kick wakes them up

Cemorah
18-03-10, 05:24 PM
I have read somewhere that it is illegal to filter past the first vehicle at a pedestrian crossing so bear this in mind and stop one short.

Mark_Able
18-03-10, 05:54 PM
I have read somewhere that it is illegal to filter past the first vehicle at a pedestrian crossing so bear this in mind and stop one short.

This is correct. In fact, all the 'no overtaking' laws apply. You cannot cross a soild white line, or enter bus/tram/cycle lane, enter hatch markings bordered by a solid white line, after passing a 'no overtaking' sign, etc. Stick to the 20/20 rule, which is:- the vehicles you are filtering past should be doing no more than 20mph, and you shouldn't pass them more than 20mph faster. look out for pedestrians crossing between the traffic, cars emerging between the traffic, large on-coming vehicles, etc. Also, remember you are on the white lines and cats eyes which can be slippy. Don't be impatient, take you're time. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bennett
18-03-10, 06:37 PM
Thanks very much. :D

Yeah, I'll take it slow, I don't see the point in rushing with a filter, you're still aster than if you were in traffic.

Thanks guys. :D

wiltshire builders
18-03-10, 07:42 PM
ALWAYS have your headlight on (you should anyway) i always look at the drivers face in the mirror before i get alongside. You can tell alot by someones facial expression as to what they are about to do next.

Chappers
18-03-10, 08:50 PM
#88 if you ever need to quote it:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069854

Means jack sh1t to a claims handler though if you end up in an accident. If you get crunched (at any speed) they will run the argument you were filtering too fast to avoid the likely risk of cars changing lanes.

b_m1957
18-03-10, 09:14 PM
Took me ages to pluck up the courage to do it, now it's second nature.

The 20/20 rule is one I always stick to, and the most important rule (already been brought up), is just stick to what you feel comfortable doing!

Good to know about not passing the first car; I generally pull over in front of the first car in order to put myself in a visible and therefore safer position. I'll re-consider from now on! Is this true for all lights where pedestrians can cross, or just lights which are there solely to let pedestrians cross (toucans, pelicans etc.)?

Dabz
18-03-10, 09:15 PM
filtering is one of the major benefits of being on 2 wheels! I do it as much as I can, though I'm probably bad by almost always getting in front of the front car

Mark_Able
18-03-10, 09:23 PM

The 20/20 rule is one I always stick to, and the most important rule (already been brought up), is just stick to what you feel comfortable doing!

Good to know about not passing the first car; I generally pull over in front of the first car in order to put myself in a visible and therefore safer position. I'll re-consider from now on! Is this true for all lights where pedestrians can cross, or just lights which are there solely to let pedestrians cross (toucans, pelicans etc.)?

It's only at pedestrian crossings. At traffic lights, get up the front and be first away... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Having been brought up on the outskirts of London, filtering is second nature. In fact, as kid, I used to practice the art of 'extreme filtering'. If there's a gap, go for it... ;D

Mark_Able
18-03-10, 09:28 PM
There was a guy I'd trained when I was working in Poole, who was a bit of a nutter. Everything he did was way too fast. He was a good rider, but too fast. He claimed he was filtering at 20mph when the bonnet of a car appeared from between the traffic queue. He didn't hit the wing, he hit the front wheel, which had the affect of stopping his bike dead. The damage to the bike was a dented fuel tank, created by his plums. Plums was the right description as well, because they were quite large and purple afterwards. :o :'(

b_m1957
18-03-10, 09:29 PM
It's only at pedestrian crossings. At traffic lights, get up the front and be first away... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Having been brought up on the outskirts of London, filtering is second nature. In fact, as kid, I used to practice the art of 'extreme filtering'. If there's a gap, go for it... ;D
That's even better to know ;)

I don't think I'm experienced enough to take my bike into London yet!

Bennett
18-03-10, 10:58 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, a lot more confident :D

slowr1der
19-03-10, 06:41 PM
[quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1268868174/0#8 date=1268937727]i always look at the drivers face in the mirror before i get alongside. You can tell alot by someones facial expression as to what they are about to do next.[/quote

Agreed sometimes u can

slowr1der
19-03-10, 06:43 PM
But u never thought he was thinking this tho did ya ;D ;D

Bennett
19-03-10, 07:35 PM
Hmm, I dunno? ;D :D

ro
19-03-10, 08:32 PM
You should have a go - you've already been riding much longer than I had on my first ride through London, still on L-plates! It turned out to be much less stressful than I expected, though I was glad I had the sat-nav giving directions so I didn't have to worry about getting lost. I did a lot of filtering that day :)

We should doit as a WB ride. Perhaps pick a day when there's something on at the Ace Cafe (http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1258052162).

b_m1957
19-03-10, 09:05 PM
You should have a go - you've already been riding much longer than I had on my first ride through London, still on L-plates! It turned out to be much less stressful than I expected, though I was glad I had the sat-nav giving directions so I didn't have to worry about getting lost. I did a lot of filtering that day :)

We should doit as a WB ride. Perhaps pick a day when there's something on at the Ace Cafe (http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1258052162).

Hmm. My biggest worry is that my confidence will outweigh my skill/experience... I'm preparing myself for a bump back down to earth on my first ride out this weekend!

Morticia
30-03-10, 11:01 AM
if they try to pull out fist into window or swift kick wakes them up[/quote]

Now, why didn't I think of that?!??

Morticia
30-03-10, 11:07 AM
[/quote]

4th of July then!

Ducatista
30-03-10, 11:08 AM
Ask yourself - is it safe? is it legal? is it worthwhile?

You must have a planned safe place to stop before you go e.g. a gap in between cars.

Don't make yourself the "meat in the sandwich" between two lines of moving vehicles. If they are stopped it's ok, but you have to be careful about when they start moving again.

I always go at the front at traffic lights even if I'm over the white line, so I put safety ahead of the letter of the law.

Give other vehicles a wave if they help you out e.g. move over for you.

It is a grey area and does take a while to get the hang of it.

Be aware that other vehicels are not expecting you to appear.

Bennett
30-03-10, 04:49 PM
Oh, forgot to say.

Thanks all or your help. I am now filtering with great confidence and situational awareness. :) Thanks.

Mark_Able
30-03-10, 08:02 PM
Oh, forgot to say.

Thanks all or your help. I am now filtering with great confidence and situational awareness. :) Thanks.

Good stuff mate... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
08-04-10, 09:22 AM
[quote author=b_m1957 link=1268868174/0#14 date=1268944141
I don't think I'm experienced enough to take my bike into London yet![/quote]

TBH, London is no harder... the drivers expect to have motorcycles filtering.... just don't get in the way of the couriers.... they are mental!

CBRowner
08-04-10, 06:28 PM
Try it during normal traffic, not on a weekend though as I've found impatient shoppers to be worse than the older, Rover driving generation.

Try going out with someone who feels confident filtering through traffic and just follow his/her lead [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

bobf279
10-04-10, 09:27 PM
Not sure I would like to be riding in London let alone filtering :o

Mark_Able
17-04-10, 09:17 PM

The only way to get about Bob. Just gotta beware of U-turning taxis... >:(

Jon_W
23-04-10, 10:37 AM

The only way to get about Bob. Just gotta beware of U-turning taxis... >:(

And mad buses. >:(

Roll_on
24-04-10, 09:42 AM
the madest are the cyclists they weave all over the place on and off pavements rarely stop at traffic lights and tend to be going even quicker than bikes (motor).

si-moffatt
12-06-10, 06:42 PM
best thing for filtering. LOUD exhausts blip the throttle on the way through to make more people notice the fact you are there and as earlier said, if they pull out give em a kick, an experienced pillon can help with this lol. the missus is getting really good

nicko@able
14-06-10, 10:31 AM
I filter all the time,always look for the safe pull in if something large is coming tother way,lights on full beam is another trick,watching for lemings,sorry,pedestrians.We can see over the cars so can plan ahead better.Watch for the front wheels of cars turning,means they are about to pull a u-turn/out.be confident in your own abilities,the bikes width and if in doubt,leave it out.Nicko :o

BB
15-06-10, 08:40 AM
I filter all the time,always look for the safe pull in if something large is coming tother way,lights on full beam is another trick,watching for lemings,sorry,pedestrians.We can see over the cars so can plan ahead better.Watch for the front wheels of cars turning,means they are about to pull a u-turn/out.be confident in your own abilities,the bikes width and if in doubt,leave it out.Nicko :o

Exactly so!

BB

nicko@able
16-06-10, 09:50 AM

leave a bit of room for the next biker to get up in front of the car as well,sometimes people dont an you get left out with your arse hanging in the breeze.I always pull over to the left in front of the lead car,this leaves a space for someone else.

Jon_W
16-06-10, 11:25 AM
leave a bit of room for the next biker to get up in front of the car as well,sometimes people dont an you get left out with your arse hanging in the breeze.I always pull over to the left in front of the lead car,this leaves a space for someone else.

Ah! Somone else who does this. If only more riders did the same. Most seem to go for the "I'm all right Jack" approach.

b_m1957
27-06-10, 04:10 PM
Is that big space that appears behind me when the lights go green not sufficient??? ;D

In all fairness, if I see another bike I will make room. I won't p!ss of a car driver 'just in case' another biker turns up.

t1pper
24-08-10, 06:44 PM
Time for a grump, its great that everyone is practicing their filtering, its a must in heavy traffic, but a bad habbit seems to be spreading. Frequently riders are not looking far enough ahead to find a space to safely pull back into thier side of the road. I am an hgv driver as well as a biker and I am often finding bikes stranded on the wrong side of the road in stationary traffic and not enough room for me to pass. Devizes is a real pain for this as traffic is slow moving at best and the roads are narrow. I have lost count as how many misjudged manouvers have forced me to stop and wait while bikes try to get push back in. One good thing is seeing their faces when they relise they have nowhere to go I usally give way and stop but next time ? well are you feeling lucky today?
Grump over back to business.
P.S Ride safe peeps

Hammy9289
17-09-10, 09:29 PM
Filtering in traffic is not easy as most will know. My advice is to stay in 2nd or 3rd gear so that you can use the engine braking by rolling off the throttle slightly rather than stamping on the rear brake. Modern bikes have excellent front brakes which can grab especially if you have been on a long run or have been using the front brake alot. Most car drivers will pull out of your way and the occasional numpty will not. Remember to check in the cars mirrors to see if th driver has seen you.If you are filtering up to traffic lights or a junction and you think the lights are about to change do not filter past the first car, just stop behind him. This means that the car behind him can see you and will let you in.
Be curtious and the occasional wave of thanks will be appreciated. I ride a Goldwing and filtering is just as easy as riding an R6 or other sports bike. Just remember do not put yourself in a position where the car driver can't see you.

Morticia
19-09-10, 02:57 PM
I find that car drivers don't see me cos they're, quite simply, not looking. Rode next to an a4 for 3,4 miles the other day, and all of a sudden the idiot tries to get on my spot, just like that. When i beeped and scared the life out of her, she said she hadn't seen me, yet I had been there for a good 5 minutes...

CBRowner
19-09-10, 06:44 PM
I find that car drivers don't see me cos they're, quite simply, not looking. Rode next to an a4 for 3,4 miles the other day, and all of a sudden the idiot tries to get on my spot, just like that. When i beeped and scared the life out of her, she said she hadn't seen me, yet I had been there for a good 5 minutes...

That doesn't sound right at all, I don't believe a female driver wasn't paying attention to anything around her ;D

I do know what you mean though, especially as we've both riden in the south of Spain where drivers are aware of bikers because they're brought up on two wheels before making the change to four.

I try to move over to the verge as much as I can to let bikes through and I do see idiots not bothering and even trying to move across so bikes can't get passed.

I'm trying to get some WB stickers for my car so bikers will know that I'm aware of them [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
20-09-10, 08:16 AM
Have found that the Cub is alarmingly invisible on the road... even to other bikes...

... also other road users develop an urge to overtake, whatever the speed limit or occasion.

BB
20-09-10, 08:45 AM
Have found that the Cub is alarmingly invisible on the road... even to other bikes...

... also other road users develop an urge to overtake, whatever the speed limit or occasion.

If you are on a small old bike most people ignore you, I find it on the old Ajay. I just stake my claim to my bit of road, stare hard at car drivers and nod at everything with two wheels and an engine! I also irritate the hell out of bigger bikes by sticking with them (or even getting past them) filtering in heavy traffic. :D :D

BB

Ducatista
20-09-10, 05:21 PM
In all fairness, if I see another bike I will make room. I won't p!ss of a car driver 'just in case' another biker turns up.

I think the suggestion was pulling over to the left, so that there is room for another bike alongside you.
Two bikes side by side take the same space along the road as one bike.
That shouldn't bother a car driver.
It wasn't a suggestion to leave space behind you.

Of course if you pull over to the left then you can't get out to the right as easily so there are places to do it and places where you won't want to do it.

Jon_W
21-09-10, 08:02 AM
I also irritate the hell out of bigger bikes by sticking with them (or even getting past them) filtering in heavy traffic. :D :D

BB

HA HA!! ;D

Have found that the cub is brilliant for filtering.... so small and nippy.

b_m1957
03-10-10, 06:00 PM

I think the suggestion was pulling over to the left, so that there is room for another bike alongside you.
Two bikes side by side take the same space along the road as one bike.
That shouldn't bother a car driver.
It wasn't a suggestion to leave space behind you.

Of course if you pull over to the left then you can't get out to the right as easily so there are places to do it and places where you won't want to do it.

I usually pull up next to/between the front car/s. I'm always gonna get away first but not taking any driver's 'personal' space (that 2 yards in front of his/her bumper).

If I know there's another biker behind me, I'll pull in front of the car and make sure the biker behind me can see clear road.

I won't usually pull in front of a stationary car if I don't have, can't see the need.

Fez
04-10-10, 05:03 PM
I clipped a wing mirror at the weekend going through a long line of stationary traffic. Apparently my tried and tested method of closing my eyes and taking a sharp breath if it looks too tight for me isnt flawless!

CBRowner
04-10-10, 05:30 PM
I clipped a wing mirror at the weekend going through a long line of stationary traffic. Apparently my tried and tested method of closing my eyes and taking a sharp breath if it looks too tight for me isnt flawless!

I've had a few bikes do that to me now and, as a biker, it really annoys me and it gives bikers a bad name.

I don't filter unless I'm 100% sure my bike will fit through and that includes my mirrors. I know it's hard sometimes because I've filtered for years and I've never caught a wing mirror and when someone did it to my M3 I gave chase and an M3 can catch up with alot of bikes out there and I'm happy to give chase as a wing mirror set me back almost £800 from BMW.

What I'm trying to say is, please be careful and don't hit other road users because we're all going on about bikers being hit by cars but it's just as bad the other way round, granted not as damaging, but still not good road sense :)

redken1
04-10-10, 10:29 PM
To be honest I get a buzz out of filtering traffic and to be able to do so is one of the benefits of two wheels.

Nokesy
05-10-10, 05:52 PM
I too hit a mirror the other day whilst filtering :( It just moved a bit so I pushed it back out, the guy said thank you (seemed very surprised I put it back!) and we both went on our way! I had to stop because it was my brake lever that hit the mirror and stopped the bike! ;D I did feel a bit bad about it though :o But if I hadn't of filtered I'd still be trying to get home now! ;D

I can fully understand annoyance though, especially when it costs £800 for a new wing mirror. I drive tatty old cars and couldn't care less but I know that's not the same for everyone.

Mark_Able
05-10-10, 09:16 PM
I remember in my yoof being two up on a Yamaha DT175MX doing about 60mph along a twisty dual carriageway in Woking, being suddenly confronted with two stationary queues of traffic. Drum brakes, Chen Shing knobbly tyres, excessive speed, and a mate on the back, no chance...

I did the only thing I could do which was aim for the gap down the middle. I think we took about six or seven doors mirrors off before finally coming to a hault next to a car, and just knocking his door mirror. I straightened it, said sorry, and rode off...

I like to think my riding has improved since then... :)

CBRowner
07-10-10, 04:29 PM

;D We F**King hope so too :D

Mark_Able
07-10-10, 08:07 PM

I'm not too proud to admit that I rode like a complete twat when I was young. Why do you think I became a bike instructor? So I could warn new riders of the dangers of riding as I did. I'm lucky to be here now. Having said that, there was no one giving instruction in those days to warn of the pitfalls. I learnt everything the hard way.

Maybe I should start a thread 'The Stupidest Things You've Done On a Bike'. Every time someone comes up with a story, I could trump it... ::)

BB
07-10-10, 08:16 PM
lol! Maybe you should write a book! :D

BB

thegasman2000
08-10-10, 02:51 PM
Maybe I should start a thread 'The Stupidest Things You've Done On a Bike'. Every time someone comes up with a story, I could trump it... ::)

Great idea for a thread.... but would p yourself with my only ever "off" :-[

CBRowner
12-10-10, 05:29 PM

I'm not too proud to admit that I rode like a complete twat when I was young. Why do you think I became a bike instructor? So I could warn new riders of the dangers of riding as I did. I'm lucky to be here now. Having said that, there was no one giving instruction in those days to warn of the pitfalls. I learnt everything the hard way.

So you didn't become an instructor because you saw all those adverts on TV telling you that you could earn a fortune, be your own boss and work hours that suit you?? ;D

Morticia
12-10-10, 06:02 PM

Oh, I don't know, works for me every time!

Morticia
12-10-10, 06:21 PM
I don't filter unless I'm 100% sure my bike will fit through

I remember being pillion and Steve filtering on the motorway not realising I was a lot higher than him, I had to duck to avoid hitting a van's mirrors...

Beamer
12-10-10, 09:30 PM

So you didn't become an instructor because you saw all those adverts on TV telling you that you could earn a fortune, be your own boss and work hours that suit you?? ;D

Whatever the reason Im just glad you did.....I wouldnt be on the roads now if it hadnt been for your patience and support Mark and I know theres rather alot of people who agree with that.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
13-10-10, 08:38 AM

There's the stupidist thing you've done, and the Sutpidist thing you are prepared to admit to!! The two are often degrees of magnitude in difference!!!

ZZR600Dude
15-10-10, 05:12 PM
Was filtering between two lines of stationary traffic A303 when driver of HGV decided to leap out of his cab. Guess he has checking the trailer or something and didnt expect any moving between the two lanes. Nearly landed on top of me.

:)