PDA

View Full Version : Luckily!

BB
26-11-08, 08:23 PM
On my way home in the nice comfy car tonight with the stereo and heater on, insulated from the outside world, I came up to a mini roundabout which used to be a T junction. It was nice and dark and there was plenty of oncoming vehicle headlights to dazzle you. As I approached the roundabout I caught sight of a tiny flickering bit of yellow light amongst the sea of lights approaching from the other direction so stopped and a biker with trendy small sized indicators turned across in front of me.

Now it's entirely up to you what you fit to your bike but it's just a thought if you are riding in the dark winter that maybe if you do fit small indicators to your winter hack, some non bike riding car drivers in a world of their own may struggle to see said indicators against oncoming headlights!

No idea what the bike was or who the rider was so no fingers pointed at anyone.

BB

6T
27-11-08, 12:18 AM
sound advise BB.

Amante_271
27-11-08, 08:10 AM
I agree with T.Bird, but when you said it was a tiny bit of flickering yellow light, I thought T.Birds electrics were playing up again! ;)

Kevinb
27-11-08, 09:47 AM
If they are 'normal' bulbs they can be difficult to see. The newer LED type are much better. So you see size doesn't matter it's the quality. ;D

Cheers

Kev

igbell
27-11-08, 10:10 AM
Yep thats right Kev.....
I mean on the lights of course.
Hence why most companys are now moving over to LED's as one they are brighter and also as soon as they are switched on they light up, hence why a lot of brake lights are now LED's as they work as soon as the brake is applied and dont need to warm up like old bulbs.

6T
27-11-08, 11:23 AM
I agree with T.Bird, but when you said it was a tiny bit of flickering yellow light, I thought T.Birds electrics were playing up again! ;)
;D ;D yeh poor lights and no indicators a tad worse than small indicators and we did have something pull out on us riding back from the sally a few months back in the dark,was a close shave to, they pulled out of a side road just as we were passing managed to swerve to avoid them :oand they braked at the last minute.so its hi vis jacket now in the dark not very stylish but at least you have a better chance of being seen

Cat_Macd
27-11-08, 05:08 PM
[quote author=Amante_271 link=1227727436/0#2 date=1227769806]so its hi vis jacket now in the dark not very stylish but at least you have a better chance of being seen

yeah hi vis not very cool looking but better than not being seen. i've got mine on when i'm out and about. i've also just changed my hi-beam bulb to a halogen one. shop said they're brighter than the normal bulb that was there. going out tonight to test it :)

BB
27-11-08, 08:45 PM
You can get some good kit nowadays either hi-viz or retro-reflective. Not always stylish but what price style when kit has been cut off you ahead of being loaded in an ambulance and your bike has been trashed! :o

Need to ride defensively too - Ghost was nearly taken out by some dopey cow (I'm female so I can make comments like that about other women!) who had failed to defrost her car windows properly the other morning! >:(

BB