PDA

View Full Version : Help with your PC woes

Obzy
06-03-08, 12:58 AM
Just a quick note to let y'all know that I'm quite handy on the old PC and know of quite a few interesting shortcuts and workarounds. Also ok with the hardware side of things too. If anyone needs some help getting that stubborn box of bits to stop playing silly buggers, then give me a shout in the first instance. obzy@blueyonder.co.uk Please have a good search for the solution first though :)

Amante_271
06-03-08, 07:33 AM
Cheers for the offer. I might take you up on that as mines slower than a dead slug at times!! Im not very good with all the technical geeky stuff! :(

alanTDM
09-03-08, 10:15 AM
If peeps are interested in Obzy's offer it might be best to PM him for his tel no. Cause if your PC is screwed you wont be able to Email him

Ghost
09-03-08, 12:40 PM
If peeps are interested in Obzy's offer it might be best to PM him for his tel no. Cause if your PC is screwed you wont be able to Email him

Good thinking, oh Wise One! ;)

igbell
09-03-08, 05:36 PM
Some things you should do on a regular basis is to make sure your Anti-virus is upto date, and then run a full scan at least once a week.
Do a defrag of your disc once a month, maybe for the first time you do it you might need to do it 2 or 3 times.
Run a scan disc on your disc.
Do a disc clean up before you do a defrag.

If you dont have anti-virus a free one that is good is AVG, also you can download Stinger.exe from McAfee which will do a good job at searching out any viruses. Then I would recomend buying a Virus scanner.
Never open e-mails that you do not know who they are from or any attachments

I hope all of this helps :)

Bonnielass
09-03-08, 11:07 PM
And if all of that doesn't work get yourself down to the doctors!! ;D

igbell
10-03-08, 11:33 AM
Yes that is right Rosie, if this little lot does not work go and get yourself some cream.

Others than buy a new PC ;D

igbell
30-04-08, 11:38 AM
Here is a link that Micosoft have said the same as I said before, so as you can see I am GREAT

http://www.microsoft.com/AtWork/getstarted/speed.mspx

Kevinb
30-04-08, 01:22 PM
If you want anti virus software try Nod32 from www.eset.com, its excellent.
Also try diskeeper you can set it and leave it and it will continually defrag your drive.

Cheers

Kev

igbell
30-04-08, 02:42 PM
The only thing with having something running all the time in the background is if you dont have a very powerfull PC Processor wise this will slow your machine down a hell of a lot, this is also why we in IT set virus scanners to run like once a week rather than scanning all the time, for each and every file you open and access.
Also if you are using a notebook then something running in the background will kill your Pro.
All well and good if you have a Quad Core Pro and 4GB RAM, but if you have a PIII 750 with 128MB RAM then this would kill it.

Amante_271
02-05-08, 12:33 AM
As Manuel said in Fawlty Towers "Che?"

Im from Calne... me no speak computerise.com Pro 8megabitten pixar annimated geek speak!!

Any chance of a nice fluffy human English version of the above? Please!