PDA

View Full Version : Re: Hot hatch inferiority complex

Dabz
25-06-08, 09:47 PM
Really can't understand it - surely they know bikes are not only faster (usually anyway) but also much better at making progress through traffic! I drive a 210bhp hot hatch but would still never try to race or out-drive a bike!

Snowy
25-06-08, 10:14 PM
It never ceases to amaze me either - once they see you in their mirrors they close up to the car in front and go as far into the centre of the road as they can to try and stop an overtake. Stupid since nothings going to stop a bike overtaking if the rider wants to.

I do however like to give a thank you wave to those drivers that make a big effort to do the opposite and pull right into the kerb so you can pass easily. Always give these guys a wave.

Sue600
25-06-08, 10:53 PM
Love making extra effort to thank all helpful drivers on the roads. Makes the idiots stand out a mile - had a few van drivers have a go at a car in front, in stopped traffic, cos they were trying to block me. I wonder if more bikers are thanking drivers.... there actually seems to be more helpful ones on the road recently (or could be I've just been lucky)

BB
25-06-08, 11:00 PM
I always make a point of thanking helpful car drivers too. I like to think it encourages them to do it again. ;)

BB

Iceman
25-06-08, 11:02 PM
Yes,I must agree,there's been a few considerate drivers.Probably bikers themeselves? It's mostly the ones with rapid cars that have attitudes! ;D ;D ;D The other day I was following a wide van pouring plumes of diesel fumes and I tried to keep a good distance choking behind him down a narrow country lane.I dared not overtake in the circumstances as he sat in the middle of the lane,and he seemed to enjoy the fact that sitting at 35mph probably in second gear to create a lot of smoke was fun. It was obvious he was well aware of my presence some 50 metres behind. what is the point of attitudes like that?It says a lot about ones character in the way they behave and in this case this driver has issues that need resolving before he hurts someone! The highway code clearly states that a slow moving vehicle should pull over to allow faster vehicles safe overtaking! Still, I chilled out and got home safe! :)

Kevinb
26-06-08, 09:01 AM
I always thank drivers who move over, but I always give it a few moments before I pass them in case they have just lost concentration.
It's not just hot hatches who want to race. Two weeks a go when riding home from the Sally I had a knackered 1.2Ltr Clio pull up next to me at the Lacock traffic lights and rev it and keep edging forward.
I think you can guess my response.

Cheers

Kev

Hunar
26-06-08, 09:33 AM
I always thank drivers who move over, but I always give it a few moments before I pass them in case they have just lost concentration.
It's not just hot hatches who want to race. Two weeks a go when riding home from the Sally I had a knackered 1.2Ltr Clio pull up next to me at the Lacock traffic lights and rev it and keep edging forward.
I think you can guess my response.

Cheers

Kev

you fell off your bike laughing?

Hannah
26-06-08, 09:54 AM
Seeing how at the moment i'm mostly in a car :( If i ever see a bike I always get as far to the right as possible and back off from the car infront to give a bit more room.
It makes me feel good when i get a thanks - but im not stupid enough to try and race a bike, there's really no point unless you want to look an idiot.

Sharik
26-06-08, 10:33 AM
If i ever see a bike I always get as far to the right as possible

I hope you either live in France or incorrectly typed "right" instead of "left" ;)

FJ_Biker
26-06-08, 11:19 AM
Bikers do the same last week I got stuck behind a GSX R while making headway through traffic, this week it was an R1, please let the bikes making progress through I always do.

Roll on winter when for weeks at time I never see another bike

Mr Grumpy Chippenham

Sue600
26-06-08, 02:25 PM
Bikers do the same last week I got stuck behind a GSX R while making headway through traffic, this week it was an R1, please let the bikes making progress through I always do.

Roll on winter when for weeks at time I never see another bike

Mr Grumpy Chippenham

I know what you mean about winter... very thin on the ground when it comes to bikes, spring comes and all of a sudden there's a line of us filtering to the lights lol. Seem to get more of the grumpy ones during winter.. dont know why (maybe they just cant see with all the rain, heater on and music playing) ;) The idiots in the fast cars and huge egos seem to be out all year round infortunately.

Hannah
26-06-08, 03:50 PM
If i ever see a bike I always get as far to the right as possible

I hope you either live in France or incorrectly typed "right" instead of "left" ;)

God I dont know my left from my right! Sorry I meant I get over to the left. :P

Iceman
26-06-08, 03:54 PM
Seeing how at the moment i'm mostly in a car :( If i ever see a bike I always get as far to the right as possible .

;D ;D ;D lol

igbell
26-06-08, 05:17 PM
Opps type-o me thinks

Gav
26-06-08, 07:18 PM
As a "hot hatch" driver and a R1 rider i would like to make a small point here..... We aint all tossers....

However, when i come up behind a bike not traveling at the same sort of pace as im driving, it would be nice if they would get out the way the same as i would in the car for them if they wanted to pass...
Took the car to avebury last night for a change as i couldnt be bothered to get bike out, and no less than 4 times between swindon and there did i have to sit and wait for a safe bit of road to pass a bikes, that could have easily moved to make things safer for me...and i wasnt driving at break neck speeds either.
A good observent driver will always move over to allow safe passing, it would be nice to see the same from alot of bikers.
Im not pickin but it does seem to me that alot of bikers that may well have a licence but cant ride a bike to its full seem to think that because on paper the bike sould be faster think that makes them faster.....it does not, it just means you will annoy a car driver tryin to make progress.
And on another point here a well driven fast car, WILL and can give most averagely riden bikes(and thats most riders out there) on a normal country road, more than a good run for their money and in some case will get infront and then pull away, so bear that in mind when you have a car behind you, maybe there not driving to annoy you, but because they want to get past you.

BB
26-06-08, 09:50 PM
Gav does have a very valid point there. I too have been held up by bike riders when in a car. If on a bike I always let a faster vehicle past - car or bike.

I also agree with FJ biker - its annoying when abiker won't filter and block you from filtering especially when the idiot has probably overtaken just to prove that he/she can!

BB

Ghost
26-06-08, 11:14 PM
can't see the point in having a bike and not making progress

furry-TLR
28-06-08, 06:01 PM
Either way, people can behave like nobs both in cars and on bikes.

Likewise, it doesn't take much to drive/ride considerately when on the road.

I do tend to find though people in cars drive like nobs more often than people on bikes, purely down to frustration for whatever reason...they then tend to drive dangerously which just ain't clever...pull over....stick the air con on and chill out :)

PS: I do have to say though lorries doing 35 in a 60 (ie on A350!) really gets on my tits when I'm trying to get to work on time but I'll still remain calm and overtake when safe to do so!)

End of the day, none of it is worth killing yourself over ::)

sburv
28-06-08, 08:15 PM
I think it’s very important to stay calm and not loose your cool with other road users. Easier said then done I know but driving/riding while feeling angry or frustrated is never a good idea.

People make mistakes its human nature. People may not be familiar with the roads and many not necessarily know where there going. Try to make allowances for this.

Like I said try to stay cool 8-) 8-) 8-) It's a jungle out there!!!

kaka
01-07-08, 10:07 PM
PS: I do have to say though lorries doing 35 in a 60 (ie on A350!) really gets on my tits when I'm trying to get to work on time but I'll still remain calm and overtake when safe to do so!)

I am sure that by law, HGV are only suppose to do 40 on a single carriageway,you can hit me if i am wrong but i dont think i am

FJ_Biker
02-07-08, 11:38 AM
That’s the law 40MPH. Even at 4 in the morning I can have a nice que behind my truck when I am plodding down the A350.