PDA

View Full Version : A friend in need....

Amante_271
31-10-08, 08:49 AM
Theres an old saying "A friend in need is a friend in deed" (tho some say A friend in need is a pain in the aRsE)

I just want to say a huge THANK YOU to Mar1k for helping me get "Graham" my new trike from Cat (you can still have visiting rights!) in Trowbridge to my home in Calne.

I was let down by a friend in Melksham as his car tax disc hadnt come thru (Change of classification) which meant Mar1k stepped in at the 11th hour to help me out.

This was really kind as he came from Bradford on Avon to do the trip then off to work in Bristol.... a bit of a detour!

Its things like this that revive your faith in human nature!

Cheers buddy! :)

Andrew

Dabz
31-10-08, 09:40 AM
niceone Mar1k! So then where are these photos??? Looking forward to seeing a photo diary of you sorting this out and getting it on the road!

Amante_271
31-10-08, 10:24 AM
Box brownie wasnt playing ball yesterday! >:( Went to Arrow Tyres to get a quote to sort out the rear brakes (£100+/-) as they arent working. This is despite pushing the trike with difficulty with the hand brake on.... (it was in gear!!) ::)

6T
31-10-08, 01:36 PM
was good of mar1k to do that for you andrew theres not to many people that will put there self out these days,as dabs said it will be good to see some pics.best of luck with bringing the old trike back to the road, spend wisely anything old can soon become a money pit if your not carefull,if you need any help or advise give me a shout.cheers steve :)

BB
31-10-08, 07:51 PM
mar1k is obviously a good guy! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

Amante_271
01-11-08, 05:21 AM
if you need any help or advise give me a shout.cheers steve :)
Funny you should say that as you were on my list of people to have a word with! Pal, mate, buddy, amigo!! ;)

Cat_Macd
02-11-08, 12:02 AM
glad you got trike home safe, visiting rights sounds great, when you're finished i'll need to take a peek to see how it turned out. :)

bikerbabe
05-11-08, 04:07 PM
i am also looking forward to seeing your hard work and effort's with this trike

Amante_271
06-11-08, 09:04 AM
Another friend is coming to my aid this weekend! Thunderbird (Steve) & his son James, have offered to come over on Saturday to help try and fire up the engine!! Coffee and bacon butties are available to anyone else who wants to join in - many hands make light work etc! If your good with electrics this would be a HUGE help! PM me for details! :)

Thanks

Andrew

igbell
06-11-08, 06:05 PM
I think I might have to see what I am doing, I might need a laugh by Sat.

Amante_271
07-11-08, 12:54 PM
Iggy, you know where I live but give me a shout if you want details to get to mine. Weve got brain power but a bit of brawn is always usefull... (even if its just as a Tea boy!! LOL!!)

:) ;)

igbell
07-11-08, 09:17 PM
damn you know my best skill...... ;D ;D

Amante_271
08-11-08, 11:15 PM
Once again I have to express my extreme thanks to WB members for their help (+ A son or two!) :)

Today Thundebird (AKA Steve + James his son) & Calne Black Ninja (AKA Sam or should I say Storm Trooper!!) came round to my humble abode and managed to fire up the trike. After replacing the plugs, cleaning up the distributer and the contacts/points & a new battery, Graham, fired up even with stale old fuel!! After a dose on new fuel it was running as sweet as a nut!! 8-) We then started to strip the brakes and found the rear ones were shot BUT T.Bird is now un-seizing them (with luck!) CBN was set to task on spagetti junction and did a great job, especially when the horn scared the poop out of us when he gave it a big hoot!! :o

Jeremy my son was useful as a gopher when needed (tho once again I do appologise for his lack of tea making skills!)

Im never amazed at peoples generosity when it come to helping a fellow biker/triker/mate!

Cheers guys.... I owe you both a BIG favour or at least a pint!!!!

Iggy, a decent tea maker WOULD of been usefull! ;D James... I will try to find you a Homer coffee mug like te one that amused you so much today!!! ;D

All Ive got to do is sort out the gear box and find out where they are, then.... 8-) ;) ::)

MOT here I come!!! ;)

igbell
09-11-08, 04:41 PM
Well that sounds good then, good luck on the rest of the build

Amante_271
09-11-08, 06:29 PM
T.bird managed to un-seize the master cylinder with WD, a blow torch and compressed air!!! The seals look good so its all speed a head.

He came over for a while today and we managed to start stripping the rear brakes but seized nipples :o (painfull) meant we had to stop + the fact the shoes were disintergrating (LITURALLY!). So we decided to change the oil & filter which went ok until it started raining!! It must of looked a bizarre sight with 3 people on one side trying to get all the oil out & me under a ferrari umbrella trying to catch the oil & stay dry!! I in fact blame James for the rain today as he cleaned the fromt wheel rim from oily grey to signs of chrome!! He did it with a tooth brush! You been training him Sam! ;D

My favourite quote of the day came from a little girl passing the house who piped up... "Look Mummy! Thats a funny looking motorbike!!" ;D

(Ps. Just had the guy come round for the spare axel and gave me £20 as we took off the slave cylinders etc! Blast! I forgot to mention the leak in the shaft that meant all the oil from the differential was seeping out!!! ::) Git said when I get bored of Graham he'd have him >:()

6T
09-11-08, 07:19 PM
yes rain stopped play but with seized bleed nipples no linings left on the shoes we were never going to get to far without some new parts,wise move removing the slave cylinders and fixings from the old axle they may come in usefull later,if your not able to get parts locally andrew i have had a look ebay and there are new brake shoes + fixing kit on there. cheers steve :)

Amante_271
09-11-08, 07:37 PM
i have had a look ebay and there are new brake shoes + fixing kit on there. cheers steve :)
How much are they so I can mention it to my guy in W.Bassett. ;)

I will alway haggle for a better deal! ::)

6T
09-11-08, 07:43 PM
brake shoes were £20.50 but £7.50 is postage cost.the fixings kits were £8.50 +postage

Amante_271
09-11-08, 10:23 PM
I presume thats the price to do both sides!! ;)

6T
09-11-08, 10:53 PM
thats the price for both sides on the shoes and fixing kits,they also have a pair of new slave cylinders for £12.99+£1.50pp

Amante_271
10-11-08, 07:08 PM
8-) Have a look at the Gallery section at the top of the page next to the Home tab for pictures of the work in progress!! 8-)

FJ_Biker
11-11-08, 05:57 PM
Keep up the good work and you will soon be mobile

Amante_271
15-11-08, 12:34 AM
I got home from work today to find a box of stainless steel fittings and nuts and bolts had been left for the trike by an exceedingly kind person - Sam.... Cheers mate, very kind of you and very much apreciated!!

6T
15-11-08, 01:11 PM
well done sam,no more messing with rusty nuts and bolts :)andrew your brake parts have also arrived just need to arrange a time to hit the trike with somemore work :)

igbell
18-11-08, 09:14 PM
Hey thunderbird.....you could just hit the hittrike ;D ;D

6T
20-11-08, 01:23 PM
Hey thunderbird.....you could just hit the hittrike ;D ;D
hey igbel your not trying to encourage me to hit amanti,s trike are you :o :osurely not ;D ;D

igbell
20-11-08, 07:28 PM
No not me, Iwouldnt do such a thing ;D ;D

Amante_271
21-11-08, 08:49 AM
No not me, Iwouldnt do such a thing ;D ;D
>:( If you do I will send Roxanne round with a set of spanners to do some work on your bike!! ... ::) Or may be just sit on it with a full nappy!! Eeeew!! :o

igbell
21-11-08, 06:27 PM
Ah Josh has already done that.....
Good send her round I might the front mud guard finaly fixed....

Amante_271
23-11-08, 07:58 PM
Ive heard of pidgeon cr*p welding but thats just silly!!

igbell
24-11-08, 07:18 PM
no welding I used 2 parts epoxy mate

sburv
25-11-08, 01:46 PM
Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't been around to give you a hand. I've had a lot on lately If you need anymore bits let me know. I'll try to get a a bit of stainless for the dails, shouldn't be to much of a problem.

Amante_271
26-11-08, 12:55 AM
No probs Sam, any help is greatfully recieved. Have a word with T.Bird if you want to do any thing this weekend as Im working! :o >:( ::)

Amante_271
26-11-08, 01:14 AM
Ps. I had some "tinkering time" allocated today to get out of the Senior Managements way.

Good news and bad.First the good! Ive found the perfect place for the nice and quiet air horns.... the ones that made CBN leave skid marks (Sorry Hannah!). They can go just behind the seat before the bench as its in a dead zone! Ive even got the bolts ready but the failing light stopped me fitting then. :(

BAD: The front spindle is stuck! AND the front brakes are sticking on! So the list of jobs to sort out gts longer!! :-[