PDA

View Full Version : Guitar players

Iceman
25-03-09, 08:26 PM
Started this once before but anyway,a new year. Looking for any interesting jam sessions outside of Swindon! Frankly Swindons' cr*p so for all you Guitar players out there know a good venue? Been playing 30 years partly as a Pro but now an instructor and freelancer. When I'm not riding or instructing I spend time recording backing tracks on my PC for others and myself but there's nothing like real interaction with others! Anyway, hope this can become an interesting topic on the side!
8-) 8-)

bubblylittleme
25-03-09, 08:35 PM
our jamming session at pilot in melksham on mondays 8pm started up again about 4 weeks ago but some weeks 8-10 of us, other weeks like this monday, only 4 of us

Iceman
25-03-09, 08:40 PM
Hi "bubblelittleme". Was it you who mentioned something about a jam last summer but that it wasn't really established? Anyway, what's the style and setup (PA , drumkit etc?) Definately interested in taking a run out as am free Mondays.What do you play?

Trist
25-03-09, 08:44 PM
Started this once before but anyway,a new year. Looking for any interesting jam sessions outside of Swindon! Frankly Swindons' cr*p so for all you Guitar players out there know a good venue? Been playing 30 years partly as a Pro but now an instructor and freelancer. When I'm not riding or instructing I spend time recording backing tracks on my PC for others and myself but there's nothing like real interaction with others! Anyway, hope this can become an interesting topic on the side!
8-) 8-)
I've been playing roughly 2 years now and also enjoy playing in my spare time. I've got lots I want to improve on but I love it (Not sure the neighbours would say the same though).

I would like the opportunity to whack the amp up a bit louder given the chance but it's not been possible at home.

I typically play 80's era Hardrock tunes such as Ozzy/GNR/ACDC/Whitesnake etc along with the distinctive lead solo artist Guitar players (many G3 performers) like Paul Gilbert, Satriani, Steve Vai and Vinnie Moore as I find they make the best tunes. Love a bit of blues now and then too.

It would be great to watch you play, what sort of styles are you into mate?

I'm self taught so-far as what I do know but was recently considering taking up lessons. Want to be my teacher? lol

Iceman
25-03-09, 11:28 PM
Hi Trist, best thing is to meet up at a Jam session so that I can assess your level of competence regards any tuition If needed. My style is my own,encompassing( blues,rock,country,neo classical).I use all my fingers,very rarely a plectrum and like double,treble stop picking,double bends and the usual hammer on and finger tapping. G3 Satriani and Via is good stuff but unfortunately does not earn you a living and so all the bands I freelanced with(your typical club band) required me to improvise to songs I did not even know,so a thorough understanding of song structures and scales became important which comes with experience!Bubblelittleme mentions a jam in Melksham so maybe we can meet up sometime?Maybe you know a nearer session which was the original posting? At the end of the day music is so subjective in taste and style and what I like may not be what you like and vice versa but a jam session is a good start and is fun anyway! later mate...
;)

Trist
26-03-09, 12:29 AM
Sounds like a plan for some time [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
I'm going to make an effort to develop my phrasing and try to escape from playing in the "box" (bad habit) because all I seem competent with at the moment is the pentatonic scale and I'd like to experiment with using others too.

Thanks for sharing and Fair play to you.

Iceman
27-03-09, 11:43 AM
Hey Trist,you wanna go to this jam session a week Monday(6th April) at the Pilot,Melksham? You could meet me here in Swindon and drive out in my car?Just a plan mate If you're up for it! Also It's a good way to wet your feet!lol ;) I'll be down the Mermaid Inn Wednesday If you can make it for a chat!

crewy
27-03-09, 02:36 PM
I can play a guitar, only problem is i aint played mine for about 5years and i can only play about 10 chords!! lol :D But good luck!!!

Iceman
27-03-09, 02:48 PM
Hi crewy, the Beatles started off knowing only 3 chords & they got by for a while!lol It's the effort and commitment that's important and what you can do with those chords! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

We need to get a few of us to this jam session for a laugh one eve If your'e up for it! 8-)

ONFIRE
27-03-09, 03:09 PM
I can Play [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Only by Tab's :-[

Trist
27-03-09, 07:51 PM

What's wrong with tabs?

ONFIRE
27-03-09, 10:33 PM

What's wrong with tabs?

Cool I am not alone. Thank's Trist that makes me feel a whole lot better now 8-) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Trist
27-03-09, 10:41 PM

What's wrong with tabs?

Cool I am not alone. Thank's Trist that makes me feel a whole lot better now 8-) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Haha tabs ftw :).

Ultimate-guitar.com is the daddy for them, though I'd like to download that GuitarPro software when I have some money (£50!).

@Iceman thanks for the offer, I'll get back to you once I know what I'm doing on that day :)

Iceman
27-03-09, 11:09 PM
...I agree! nothing wrong with tabs whatsoever! I've used them myself at times! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

"Trist", ok mate no sweat & no pressure! ;)

Iceman
27-03-09, 11:30 PM
my Fender Telecaster and Fender 100watt amp. I used to have a Les Paul for it's thick humbucking sound but found it lacking in clarity when running clean,so got the Telecaster.It's equipped with Seymour duncan 50s' vintage and with the amp really punches through the mix at jam sessions!
* Note that it's a left hander.Took me years to find this particular model(infact 30 years lol)!

bubblylittleme
29-03-09, 04:52 PM
sorry not got back...
very occassionally people turn up with amps so not a prob...most of us have electro-acoustic so dont take amps.
usually Andy organises it...tend to work around the group, each suggesting a song and we all just follow along so is everything from beatles, irish, oasis, really absolutely everything.
some play just tabs others chords and couple only started playing few weeks ago so crewy not a problem.
not sure whats gonna happen in future at mo as landlord finishes on 7th apr and we dont know who's taking it on and whether we can continue...but pop along on 6th anyway and see if its what u want...might not be but i enjoy it and its a night out too lol

Iceman
29-03-09, 08:38 PM
Ok "bubblelittleme". thanks for the update!