PDA

View Full Version : TEAM SHEPPARD

TOPO001
08-04-09, 12:00 AM
One of my clients is training for a massive trek across the arctic to try and raise £30,000 for Winston’s Wish, a charity that helps bereaved children and their families. Kevin's inspiration for this started when as a young boy he lost his bother in a motorcycle accident. I would be very grateful if any our friends can either donate to this cause or circulate the details to as many people as possible in the hope that somebody somewhere will help.

http://www.teamsheppard.co.uk

The details below explain a bit more about the challenge.

From Gloucestershire to the Arctic to help bereaved children: Kevin Sheppard’s Polar Challenge

A former soldier’s in training for the biggest battle of his life – and it’s all to help bereaved children.

Kevin Sheppard is preparing to take part in the Polar Challenge, a 350 mile race across the Arctic to the magnetic North Pole. Only 42 people worldwide are selected for the trek each year, and it’s been described as the toughest race in the world.

“I’ll be battling against extreme dangers including falling through thin ice, hypothermia, frostbite and encountering one of the world’s most dangerous predators – the polar bear,” said Kevin, who’s 38 and from Churchdown.

Skiing across icy Arctic wastes pulling all his supplies in a sledge – all in temperatures that can drop as low as minus 45 degrees C - is certainly a long way from his day job as a buyer for Cirencester-based medical engineering firm Corin.

And Kevin really will be on top of the world if he achieves another ambition alongside this punishing feat of physical and mental endurance – raising £30,000 for Winston’s Wish, a charity that helps bereaved children and their families.

After raising nearly £20,000 in sponsorship in order to qualify for the race, he’s confident he can achieve that goal. Especially as a family tragedy when he was in his teens lies behind his charity fundraising effort.

“My brother Andrew died in a motor bike accident when I was 13. He was 16 and it devastated me and my family,” said Kevin.

“Losing my brother when I was so young was hard during my growing up. It takes a long time to come to terms with not being able to share life's experiences with someone who's important to you.”

Kevin’s Polar Challenge starts in April 2010, but after the slog of finding the financial sponsorship to allow him to join the race he’s already in serious physical training.

An accomplished triathlete when he was in the Army, where he served with the Royal Corps of Transport, Kevin will be back on the triathlon trail this year. In June he’ll also be taking part in the Cheltenham Circular Challenge and in September he’s competing in the Great North Run.

Kevin’s hoping others will join him as part of ‘Team Sheppard’ as he steps out and steps up his fundraising effort for Winston’s Wish.

Kevin explains: “I call it Team Sheppard because I see everyone who’s helping me achieve this ambition, whether through sponsorship or other support, as part of my team. And they won’t just be backing something that’s personal ambition for me or a one-off fundraising effort.

“As well as helping bereaved children through Winston’s Wish, my longer-term aim is to turn Team Sheppard into an inspirational educational organisation that will make a lasting difference to the lives of all sorts of children by helping them to realise that they, too, can do anything they want to if learn to believe in themselves.”

The Polar Challenge isn’t the first time Kevin’s aimed for the top – and he says it won’t be the last. He trekked through the Himalayas to Everest Base Camp in 2006 and has already pledged that if he completes the 2010 Polar Challenge, he’ll look for a physical test that will stretch him even further in 2012.

And it’s the big brother he lost 25 years ago who remains Kevin’s main inspiration. Kevin says: “I know if Andrew was around today he’d be immensely proud of my achievements and my future ambitions.”

Anyone interested in sponsoring Kevin for his Polar Challenge or following his preparation in the run-up to the big event can find out more on his website

http://www.teamsheppard.co.uk

R1chie
08-04-09, 10:43 PM
It's usually polite to say hello before posting up ads, be it for a good causes or not.

Usually I would delete blatant ad threads like this as I'm a grumpy northern git, however, I've had a decent day so I'll leave it.

Good luck anyway