PDA

View Full Version : Wiltshire bikers / Wiltshire riders

karl636
19-04-09, 10:20 PM
hi all who uses both web sites and do we ever meet up together, i have noticed WR have more meet ups is there any reason for this, also more people post on here is that because they have more time on there hands coz they dont use there bikes as much lol.

bladep102
19-04-09, 10:23 PM
just seem to be more friendly especially compared to the south west lot :)

karl636
19-04-09, 10:33 PM
just seem to be more friendly especially compared to the south west lot :)

whos more friendly???
i have been on a ride with WR and they were really nice people, ride was slow, but you do have to cater for all abilities. i just dont know why there is 2 forums in Wiltshire, not only that there pretty much called the same thing lol.........

I am only on both because i want to find riders in and around the salisbury area.

karl

furry-TLR
20-04-09, 12:07 AM
WR was origionally a break-off group from this forum.

Can't remember the reasons why...to be honest...don't care either.

I was on WR for a long time, made alot of good friends on there, but it all went pete tong with membership rules, certain people trying to rip it up and other stuff...in the end it became way too much hassle so I dropped it.

I'm not on WB very much mainly as I struggle to find enough time for MB, but people on here on the whole tend to be much nicer and more genuine just out for some good times on the bike and thats it.

I think MB already been plugged on here, it's on a Wends at the Mermaid your more than welcome to come along so long as your nice to people! :)

karl636
20-04-09, 05:53 AM
WR was origionally a break-off group from this forum.

Can't remember the reasons why...to be honest...don't care either.

I was on WR for a long time, made alot of good friends on there, but it all went pete tong with membership rules, certain people trying to rip it up and other stuff...in the end it became way too much hassle so I dropped it.

I'm not on WB very much mainly as I struggle to find enough time for MB, but people on here on the whole tend to be much nicer and more genuine just out for some good times on the bike and thats it.

I think MB already been plugged on here, it's on a Wends at the Mermaid your more than welcome to come along so long as your nice to people! :)

Hay JP i am always nice to people, I have also commented on the other post about the back ache issue lol, Yeah i was given the info on this website at GW's, to be honest to many forums for me, i would rather be riding my bike then talking about it, i might pop on and register just to know when the ride outs are.......... I heard the people on here would rather sit behind there comps typing about bikes than actually riding them, how true is this, i also put this comment on that link we have been chatting about, i wouldnt know i am only saying what i have heard. I HOPE I HAVENT OPENED A CAN OF CRAP BY STARTING THIS THREAD LOL

karl

Davey
20-04-09, 07:18 AM
Maybe some of us don't get to ride as often as we like could be due to work, money or lack of bike but were all riders at heart. I do plenty of miles on the bike I just don't do many group rides anymore I prefer now to ride at my own pace with mates I know and trust (also use their mirrors and slow down if your caught in traffic/ at lights etc)

I was heavily involved with WR as a lot of people know but after the changes I came back here (still a member of WR but not a full member as I can't make weekend meets due to work! ::))- and to be honest I like the subtle changes made on here over the last couple of years while I was away [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Amante_271
20-04-09, 07:45 AM
I dont have a bike (/Trike) currently on the road but that doesnt mean Im not a biker at heart! We have a rule here: to be a member of the forum you must have a love of bikes and it doesnt matter if its a 42cc chineese mini moto or a 2.3 litre Triumph Rocket 3 or youve had bikes in the past, as long as you love them thats fine. If you want to talk about them thats fine. If you want to ride them, thats fine. Just be yourself!!

WR were a slightly anarcic break away group (No offence meant!) from WB. Theres no long lasting anamosity between the two groups as many people are in both. Here we have grown over the years to be the largest motorcycle forum in the county. We dont charge a membership fee tho donations are always welcome as currently Dabz pays for the site out of his own pocket (Thanks mate!)

We dont care what your back ground is or what you ride (or dont), we just want to be a bunch of friendly, like minded souls, who can have a laugh together and go for a blast together as/when its possible.

:)

FJ_Biker
20-04-09, 11:30 AM
Personally I think it is good that there is more than one forum for Wiltshire it gives people choice. Different Forums host different communities, post on the ones you feel most at home with.

I use my bike daily to commute Monday to Friday and Saturday to go shopping (clock about 10k a year). So don’t feel the need to ride it in the evening and at weekends, I guess that’s why I never attend the ride outs. I have MAG commitments on a Thursday so never make it to the Salutation inn. If I go to a bike meet in the evening it tends to be the Lysley as that is the closest and I know a lot of people there.

Kevinb
20-04-09, 01:44 PM
I'm not really into bike meets/group rideouts. I will attend a few during the year and probably pop down to Poole. As others have said some people prefer riding alone or with friends who know each others riding styles and abilities.
I do like this site and when members do meet everyone appears friendly.
Pub meet wise if I've been out riding then my local is a better option for a pint & a coke before parking up for the night.

Dabz
20-04-09, 02:32 PM
Both offer different things really - WR tend to do more rides from what I hear while we stick to 1 per month...we also have our weekly meet which seems to get overlooked by many, but we run that once a week all year round and get people attending every week. Absolutely no animosity between WB and WR as far as I'm concerned and variery/choice is what makes life interesting :) Also good to see Mermaid Bikers joining the scene!

I guess from a smug point of view I can also be certain that with well over 600 members, people can leave, throw their toys out the pram, bad mouth, forget about or whatever with WB but we'll still continue going strong regardless hehe. i think we're almost 4 years old now and still pushing the same ethos of everyone's welcome and it's all free!

Iceman
20-04-09, 03:26 PM
Belong to both! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

karl636
20-04-09, 08:37 PM
well i was especting a slagging match about the forums, but i am mistaken lol i prefer to ride my bike than just chat **** about em, we all have different things in our heads..... i understand that if you use it as a commuter then deffo you would be sick and tired of bikes lol its like me in my audi S4 when i got it i was like a kid, but now i use it every day i dont see anything specail in it......

I am a member of both, riden with WR and found them all to be really nice, havent met any of you yet so cannot make a comment sorry lol

BB
20-04-09, 08:57 PM
Like others have said before, we are all different and have different ways of being involved with bikes. There may well be some keyboard warriors on here who never ride bikes but just talk about them for all I know. Personally I tend not to watch telly or do too much in the way of housework so spend time on here instead :P

I belong to this forum and a couple of others and am also heavily involved in Bath Classic MCC so although I don't get out much with WB I still ride a fair bit or get involved with the off road stuff. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

karl636
20-04-09, 09:14 PM
i would love to get into the off road stuff, just dont have the time,

BB
20-04-09, 09:34 PM
i would love to get into the off road stuff, just dont have the time,

I know the feeling! Over Easter I was supposed to be helping Ghost sort his place and also doing house repairs here but Easter Monday there was this hill climb.... Last Saturday we route marked for a classic bike run we did yesterday... Next Sunday there is a classic scramble... and so it goes on! ;D ;D

BB

furry-TLR
20-04-09, 11:19 PM
... its like me in my audi S4...

That explains sooooooooooooo much :-X :D ;D

I've done over 120'000 miles on the bike since I passed my test, most of which was on sportsbikes and very rarely on motorways/dual carrigeways...but I still find time for meets/rides as the social side of it all is just as good as the riding itself. (Usually! :D )

These days due to work commitments I've really had to reduce my riding, and now currently with no bike won't be doing any for a while but I've had more than my fair share of fun on a bike and still alive to remember it all :)

Hunar
21-04-09, 10:45 AM
I am a member of WB, WR and MB, i have made good friends and had some great times on all three. I have been on a bike for just over a year now, and if it wasn't for these forums I wouldn't have people to ride with on a regular basis.

The Mrs found WB for me while she was browsing the net, I found WR through a link from Burgers blog (If you get a chance to read through it, it's very good, I can heartily recomend the music video's with Burger on his keyboard, here's a link http://www.dandmbr.co.uk/goldwing/). Although I did my first ride out with the WR, we went to Matlock bath and it rained about half the way up there, but was a fantastic day out, and I was definately hooked on ride outs after that.

Now, because of WR and WB I have 2 regular rideouts a month (although money is very tight at the moment, so sometimes even attending 1 a month isn't always possible!) plus the extra ride outs after meets, or to attend a special event, or just because its a bank holiday and we get an extra day otu on the bikes. With the arrival of MB, I also get the chance for yet more rideouts!

When I get chatting to other bikers I meet I always tell them about all 3 sites, and recomend they join all 3.

Now if someone could give me the winning lottery numbers, and MB start doing a regular monthly sunday ride out on the 4th sunday of each month, then I will have 4 rideouts a month and can finally afford it!

hotdog
21-04-09, 12:23 PM
17 6 42 23 11 19 :D

hotdog
21-04-09, 12:58 PM
Blame me... it's all my fault... sorry!

I was the one chatting to Karl on Saturday in GW's and it's interesting to read how my comments were taken which obviously means I didn't say what I meant... too economical with words probably, which is apparently very rare for me lol.

What I meant to say was that in my experience of happily belonging to both WR and WB and developing great friendships in and across both, WR tends to be about actually riding bikes with a forum to support it. Anyone who's a member will know what I mean... you don't get much banter there other than when you actually meet face to face, when the banter, friendship and company is fantastic.

WB on the other hand tends to be primarily a forum with rideouts and a regular meet to support it. I didn't mean to imply that no one here actually rides their bikes because I know differently first hand, only that the forum is very busy (comparitively) and that the majority do not attend rideouts or meets. Although, I look forward to seeing Hunars face the day all 600 turn up for a rideout :D

So, I clearly said the wrong thing and gave the wrong impression and I apologise. The bottom line being though that the two clubs do have very different personalities, neither one bad in my opinion and the variety and choice being great for motorcyclists in Wiltshire.

As for MB's, firstly I appreciate Daz's and others support. MB's really isn't another club but I can see how some might perceive it that way. In reality it's a forum for friends who meet on a regular basis at The Mermaid and fully support WB and/or WR. I like to think we also have our own personality adding yet another flavour to the Wiltshire mix. We do have impromtu rideouts at times, just as folks here on WB arrange them too but there are no plans to hold one regularly or to change the basis of the group.

Finally, Karl, any club rideout is going to be slow for you mate :D

Regards,

karl636
21-04-09, 03:25 PM
Blame me... it's all my fault... sorry!

I was the one chatting to Karl on Saturday in GW's and it's interesting to read how my comments were taken which obviously means I didn't say what I meant... too economical with words probably, which is apparently very rare for me lol.

What I meant to say was that in my experience of happily belonging to both WR and WB and developing great friendships in and across both, WR tends to be about actually riding bikes with a forum to support it. Anyone who's a member will know what I mean... you don't get much banter there other than when you actually meet face to face, when the banter, friendship and company is fantastic.

WB on the other hand tends to be primarily a forum with rideouts and a regular meet to support it. I didn't mean to imply that no one here actually rides their bikes because I know differently first hand, only that the forum is very busy (comparitively) and that the majority do not attend rideouts or meets. Although, I look forward to seeing Hunars face the day all 600 turn up for a rideout :D

So, I clearly said the wrong thing and gave the wrong impression and I apologise. The bottom line being though that the two clubs do have very different personalities, neither one bad in my opinion and the variety and choice being great for motorcyclists in Wiltshire.

As for MB's, firstly I appreciate Daz's and others support. MB's really isn't another club but I can see how some might perceive it that way. In reality it's a forum for friends who meet on a regular basis at The Mermaid and fully support WB and/or WR. I like to think we also have our own personality adding yet another flavour to the Wiltshire mix. We do have impromtu rideouts at times, just as folks here on WB arrange them too but there are no plans to hold one regularly or to change the basis of the group.

Finally, Karl, any club rideout is going to be slow for you mate :D

Regards,hay mate great seeing you the other day and your misses. i was just asking the questions that was all bud, it is far from your fault i put this post up, i am my own person, i just wanted other ppls in put and TBH its a good input from all, we have a some nice ppl on here also some very insecure ppl aswell lol.... anyway i will ride with any club, if i dont like it or they dont like me i am sure i will go my own way, i did really enjoy that ride you took out the other week. the roads were amazing and playing catch up was immence i thought i had wings at a few points lol

hotdog
21-04-09, 03:31 PM
No worries Karl, I just felt bad if I'd given you the wrong impression, that's all :D Gave me a chance to clear it up lol.

Look forward to the next time we meet mate.

Regards,

karl636
21-04-09, 05:06 PM
No worries Karl, I just felt bad if I'd given you the wrong impression, that's all :D Gave me a chance to clear it up lol.

Look forward to the next time we meet mate.

Regards,

yeap carnt wait mate, see you then, and dont feel bad nothing to feel bad about.

Hunar
21-04-09, 06:35 PM
. Although, I look forward to seeing Hunars face the day all 600 turn up for a rideout :D

would be interesting, I think the front bikes would just arrive at the destination as the backmarker left the sally!!!!

hotdog
21-04-09, 07:01 PM
Not the routes you take mate (apparently) ;D

KP
21-04-09, 08:17 PM
Not the routes you take mate (apparently) ;D
lol ;D

Dabz
23-04-09, 03:24 PM
lol :P

bladep102
23-04-09, 06:59 PM
sorry i meant the south west bikers dont seem to be very friendly i think its a cornish thing :)

ONFIRE
23-04-09, 07:11 PM
sorry i meant the south west bikers dont seem to be very friendly i think its a cornish thing :)

Enlighten us. :o
Bit of a sweeping statement, were they'll leaning on their shovels... ;D ;D ;D 8-)

bladep102
23-04-09, 07:23 PM
just go on there and try joining in they seem to just ignore anything you say :D

davej
23-04-09, 07:45 PM
i had one of my bikes on the southwest bikers stand at exeter 2 years ago dave and the guys are just fine

but i seem to know a lot of people

the problem is keeping up with so many forums
obviously i have my little bikes one ( it used to be 2 but well 1 is enough )
then my photography ones ( 5 of them )
then my bigger bike ones ( one of which is here )
and 2 for my tys

i had a text from russ from the roadrunners the other day saying where am i, i just cant do everything.

and dont forget i help organise events as well as work ( ha ha )

mikesouthby
23-04-09, 07:52 PM
just go on there and try joining in they seem to just ignore anything you say :D

+1

I found the same tbh which is a shame as it is a big group and we are in the south west!

Kevinb
24-04-09, 08:57 AM
It that the Rideout-sw forum?
I've used it a few times when we have been going to Cornwall. Found out the Yamaha dealer near Newquay and as the users said they were a friendly dealership. Also had offers of going to their meets.

ONFIRE
24-04-09, 09:16 AM
It that the Rideout-sw forum?
I've used it a few times when we have been going to Cornwall. Found out the Yamaha dealer near Newquay and as the users said they were a friendly dealership. Also had offers of going to their meets.

Joined my brother on one of their ride outs http://www.rideout-sw.co.uk/ whilst in Cornwall late last Summer from St Austell to a jnct after Exeter (I am sure someone will recognize the 'location' can't quite remember as , I skipped the jnct and carried onto Swindon.

Great bunch as I obviously know a few of them. They seem to like their Busa'S :D

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o136/poshboy_photos/Rideoutsw/RideOut10.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o136/poshboy_photos/Rideoutsw/RideOut2.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o136/poshboy_photos/Rideoutsw/RideOut3.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o136/poshboy_photos/Rideoutsw/RideOut4.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o136/poshboy_photos/Rideoutsw/RideOut8.jpg